• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

28 inconvenient truths about TEOTWAWKI

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Not everyone will survive. Ouch.

For many, circumstances will trump preparedness.

Preparedness will cost money. There’s no way around it.

If you talk about preparedness, you’ll be ridiculed. If you keep your mouth shut, you’ll miss out on establishing a support system that is 100% necessary to survival.

A rural retreat won’t save you. The federal government has you in their crosshairs, as does the United Nations.

Stored food runs out, eventually.

Even the best prepared survivalist Navy Seal can be brought down by an infected ingrown toenail.

You probably aren’t tough enough for what’s coming, but then again, you might surprise yourself. Some who survive, long-term, might not be the ones you expect.

Gold and silver may be useless if a world currency is established. Their use may even be criminalized.

In a time of plenty, it’s impossible to imagine the reality of true scarcity.

Survival is easy for armchair quarterbacks.

Most survivalists and preppers are overly optimistic when it comes to how much food store, what scenarios to plan for, and their ability to survive off the grid.

TEOTWAWKI will change the way you and your children and grandchildren live. Forever.

The minute you bug out, your chances of reaching your retreat destination are slim.

You’re kidding yourself if you think your hidden caches won’t be found by others, eventually. Or, alternatively, you’ll forget where you hid them. As proof, how many “buried treasures” have been lost to history in spite of maps indicating their locations?

You won’t know if you’re ready for TEOTWAWKI until you’re in the middle of it. After that, it will be a case of day to day survival.

Ultimately, a too-powerful government will be the biggest threat to your survival — either a totalitarian government or smaller fiefdoms where “might makes right.”

Life will become cheap.

Free time will become a thing of the past.

Wondering how you might survive the early days after an EMP attack? Download my free report here.

There’s nothing wrong with preparing for natural disasters, but if you’re not ready for a collapse of the American economy or similar worst case scenario, you’re not ready.

Coming tough times will threaten even the best of marriages and other close relationships.

Growing your own food is a bigger challenge than you ever thought possible.

A green garden can be spotted from miles away, depending on where you live, thus endangering your food source and your family. Savvy, desperate people will be able to easily identify the plants found in the typical backyard garden.

Dealing with human waste and trash will become your new part-time job.

You’ll discover exactly what you’re capable of when your family is threatened.

Formerly strong and capable people will escape their new reality through booze, drugs, and/or suicide.

Protecting and nurturing close family ties will become one of the most important things you can do.

Those who can accept and adapt will find survival easier than those who hold on to the past or have unrealistic expectations of the future.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Has there ever been a TEOTWAWKI for the US? (before it was the US, the Indians definitely had a TEOTWAWKI happening)

Sure WWI and WWII changed the world for many, and it was never the same. I do not believe it changed the US in that regard because we won. So TEOTWAWKI is happening all over the world right now. Syria, Libya, Europe to some extent because of the influx of Syrians. If Clinton is elected it will happen here sooner than if Trump is elected. Don't ya think?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with almost everything that was written in the original post except that I've never believed in preparing for TEOTWAWKI. At almost 70-years old I don't think that I want to live through it, or rather, do what is necessary to live through it and continue to do it for the rest of my life. It's just not for me.

However, I could be called a "disaster prepper". Living out in the country I am prepared for massive power outages, flooding, etc. The kind of thing that would be massively inconvenient at the time but would right themselves within a month or so.

To be honest, many of these "Doomsday Preppers" amuse me. The idea of an overweight 350#, lifelong city dweller, walking 150 miles across country to his bug-out location, carrying a 100# backpack and 50# of ammunition, in order to live off the land in complete isolation is ridiculous to me. But, if that's what you want to believe and do, go for it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If it happens here the populations in the big cities will be rapidly dwindling because people will kill for food and with enough corpses laying around disease will finish off the rest. The big cities will truly become the "asphalt jungle", and the survivors will then spread out in the rural areas.
Mike

loboloco

If it happens here the populations in the big cities will be rapidly dwindling because people will kill for food and with enough corpses laying around disease will finish off the rest. The big cities will truly become the "asphalt jungle", and the survivors will then spread out in the rural areas.
Mike
Not only that, but the "kill print" around the large cities will be in hundreds of miles. Raiding will be endemic closer to the cities even in the most rural of areas. All the planning in the world won't save you. You better have one heck of a lot of luck.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've always said that I can protect what I own but I've had armadillo problems for the past three weeks and I can't catch the suckers. So, if I can't handle a dumb armadillo, my chances against a thinking homo sapien might not be all that high. Just thinking about all this is depressing but I promise that I'll get the buggers before the week is out no matter how much sleep I lose.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike

But the folks in rural area's will not want them there. :ermm:

And we have WAY more guns and ammo than most city dwellers. Not only that, but we have equiptment. How long do you think the roads out of the city would be passable?? Not very long....

If they come on foot, and don't belong here, I don't think they would last very long....

Just sayin'

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with Kirk.

Not mentioned in the migration from the city is the suburbs. They'll be hit first by the migrating city dwellers. Around here, they're pretty well armed in the outermost suburbs and will thin out or decimate those trying to pillage.