• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

list of alternative component suppliers?

Alp Trac

Hi There,

I was wondering if you guys have compiled a list of available componenets to replace broken or damaged parts on the snow trac.

It occurs to me that until such a list exists, it will be often easier for current owners to break up old or incomplete snowtracs for parts, rather than to source new parts that maybe available.

I am thinking of engine parts, gearbox parts, carburettor parts, brake parts, tyres, cables etc.

On this theme I am investigating the low volume production of replacement tyres for the snow trac as I cannot source any for mine. Both Goodyear and Trelleborg say they do not produce such a Tyre, which if so will be a problem for all of at some time.

Please see the thread in the restoration section for more details on the tyre (TIRE!) front.

Any ideas? thanks Alp Trac

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Alp Trac said:
I am thinking of engine parts, gearbox parts, carburettor parts, brake parts, tyres, cables etc.
I don't know how it is in France (or Europe in general), but here in the US/Canada we have plenty of access to all the engine, gearbox, carb, etc parts. I believe England also has easy access to those parts. All those parts are of VW origin from the old Beetle/Bus vehicles and because of the popularity of the collecting of those old vehicles, there are many parts suppliers for all the various engine components in the USA/Canada. I know that in England there is also a strong network of VW Beetle collectors so there should be easy access to those parts too.

Where we run into trouble is things like the Variator Belt, the tires, and a few other odds and ends that are either proprietary to the Snow Trac or are simply rare to find. We have found a replacement for the variator belt that seems to work great, and there are still some originals around (I was able to get an extra N.O.S. belt in perfect condition).

The small tires are AGRICULTURAL tires and reportedly still made. Lyndon has a source. I actually had a whole bunch of extra tires but I traded them for an original heater. I still have some extras, but not enough that I want to sell or trade them.

In Europe, for specific part requests that are not VW in origin, I would check with Christer Morlind. He does not sell many parts to people outside of Europe, but he seems to be a great source for parts for anyone in Europe. Here is Christer's website: http://www.klovsjo.com/snowtrac/

I also have found that there is one book that is like the Bible for keeping the engine up and running, as well as for tips about many other systems. The book is HOW TO KEEP YOUR VW ALIVE, it is available at most of the large booksellers in the US/Canada, and also available on the internet through AMAZON.COM. It is written so that even a NON-mechanic can read it and it has been a big help to me!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1562614800/ref=nosim/moontravelhandbo

Attachments

• vw19.jpg
    vw19.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 216