• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BOMBI TRACK TENSION

threedimnz

Looking for a little help with our Bombi. I believe it is an early 70's. Tracks were getting sucked up around the sprockets so we tightened them up so top of track was flat. Now we ended up with 2 bent rear flexitor axles, we are thinking tracks were to tight.
Is there a standard for track tension. Or are we chasing a different problem.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for a little help with our Bombi. I believe it is an early 70's. Tracks were getting sucked up around the sprockets so we tightened them up so top of track was flat. Now we ended up with 2 bent rear flexitor axles, we are thinking tracks were to tight.
Is there a standard for track tension. Or are we chasing a different problem.

If your rear tires are still air and not filled then you should just start to see the tire (when properly aired) dent in from the cleat. that is what the manual
calls for. did you bend both the rear axles or two on one side ?

threedimnz

Boggie

We have had all tires foam filled. Both flexitor axles on the rear adjusting axle were bent. The right side more so than the left. The right was so bad the track would walk right off.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is what mine was like. Nothing was bent ,just broke loose.
bombicrack003-a.jpg

clairpierce

I'd make sure you have the right spindle on the rear wheels they are about 3" long where the others are 7" ( the swing arm. ) some one had put the wrong one on mine.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think mine had some heavy loads on it . Welding it wasn't much of a problem for me.
jim

timandkim

thanks good to know im going to look at one here in a couple days would be nice to know the possible problems and where to look . do you know where is the drain plug for the diff on a mid seventy bombi . thanks
Tim

timandkim

just thought of another question does anyone know witch # in the serial # is the year and where is the ID plate on a bombi. thanks again
Tim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you ever find the tag.? I picked up that diesel bombi From dick and I can only find a tag that says BOM 75 for a serial number. according to my searching here and reading the BR manual over in another thread the tag should be near the motor mount? I scoured mine over but can't find any other tags.

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In my 79 manual it says the id data plate is right hand back side of cab and right hand side of front bumper. Also I remember seeing a number next to the rubber that holds the hood down on the right side.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be damned there it was. Number 201. Thanks. shop is almost clean enough to get to work.... thanks for the help finding the seemingly obvious tag.

Mike