• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ARTICLE: VW Trends, August 1997 Snow-Trac story

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is an article from VW Trends, August 1997. It gives a lot of good information. It is also the last article I have been able to track down so I'm hoping that someone else can help with more additions.

I know of a Swedish automotive magazine that published a story about the Snow Tracs, it is called "Classic Motor Magasin" December, 1999, but I have not been able to find a copy of it. Further if I ever did find a copy I don't know how I would be able to effectively translate it, but I suppose I'd figure out a way? If any of you can find a copy of Clasic Motor Magasin, December 1999 it would be greatly appreciated if you could scan & post it, or you could contact me and I could scan & post it.

Attachments

• 1attachment.jpg
    1attachment.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 387
  • 1attachment-1.jpg
    1attachment-1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 384

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the rest of this article.

At some point, I will convert it to a downloadable PDF file for people who want to print these out and save them. The PDF files seem to provide far better printouts.

Again, if any of you know of any other articles, sales sheets, advertisments or brochures, please work with me to get them posted here for all of us to share. Many of these things have little bits of useful information that one of us may need. Send me a PM or Email if you have anything that can be posted, but you don't know how to post.

Attachments

• 1attachment-2.jpg
    1attachment-2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 1attachment-3.jpg
    1attachment-3.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 395

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, nice artical, i'm just going to have to keep looking on ebay for this stuff! thats if you dont beat us all to it !

Later.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tommo, there are several sources for old magazines, Ebay is one of them. But as of now, I apparently have posted a copy of every known Snow Trac magazine article ever written except one! And that one is the Swedish magazine. So basically, if you download the PDF files of these magazines, you have gotten every article that has been printed in English for FREE!!!

I have tracked down some instances of Snow Trac being briefly mentioned in two other magazines, but the references are so slight that they really don't have much interest or information. Perhaps I will post those one day, but I certainly have no desire to buy an old copy to read 2 or 3 sentences.

Now if you want to do some digging, and if you have any contacts in Sweden (I do not) then see what you can do about finding the Swedish printing of Classic Motor Magasin from December 1999!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim that would be fantastic if he could find one! Thank you for the effort :applause:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Bob! Great article. I also saw you were bidding on the Snow Trac brochure on Ebay. (I know better than to get into a bidding war with you!) If the price gets to high for you I will be willing to pitch in since I know you would post it anyway in PDF form.

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
:tiphat: My problems is, i collect 'ALL' litriture for all i own Pre 1975, and i cant stop collecting first edition books on the subjects that appeals to me. The trouble with that is, i have many collections, hobbies and 'Crap' .........sorry thats what my wife calls it all!! I bib alot on eBay and pay high prices for the right stuff.....Bob!! I know when to give in so lets see what happens. Getting a free PDF is most excellent, but to own the genuine artical is priceless!

My 2i/c (2nd in command) is from Stockholm and has just gone on leave 4 days ago. I will email him and ask him to ask his friends etc to hunt the itam down. He was in the Swedish forces and likes classic cars etc, so he may know where to hunt for it.......fingers crossed.:confused:

Chat later:17875:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Lovely article, but as usual it comes up too big for my printer and cuts off the right hand side of the page. I have printed off several things from the Internet with this problem? Is there any way round it, other than printing it off and having to hand write all the missing bits? Also, while I think about it, how do I go about posting photos in Docs gallery - as a real novice, I haven't got a clue. Work is progressing on my workshop, the builders are due to appear again tomorrow with digger, so hopefully before too long I might have the concrete down and then when it is hard enough the snowtrac is the first one in to have its exhaust gaskets done!! Then the Foden, then Lady Rose (Scammell)..........the list is endless!! Sorry about drivelling on, its a problem when the only person you have to talk to is your dog and her conversation is limited!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I-Q . . . first thing you do is set your printer to scale down the image! Your computer should let you do that? At least I can do it on mine and I don't think I am special in any way.

I also hope to convert these images to PDF files. Most people prefer to use PDF files for printing because it allows for higher resolution downloads and provides a better printed document.

As for uploading images to the the Photo Gallery, I honestly am having fits right now with that. I got a few images up there and they are fine, but one I put up is not showing at all, and others I would like to edit the wording and can't. So I'd suggest that you wait for a couple more days, Doc is working on adjusting the settings for the gallery so it will be more user friendly.

Here is a link to the Gallery, you can see some photos up there, mostly from other members, but I posted a few Snow Trac things, plus a couple photos of my new shop. http://www.forumsforums.com/pp53/

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I wondered about scaling it down on the printer (at present to see if it will fit, I just go to print preview), I will try what you suggest. Thank you. Will let you know in due course. My daughter has just signed in with msn messenger, so will have to nip off and see if she wants to chat. She is talking about doing her hgv (heavy goods vehicle licence) a class 2 - that would mean she could drive up to 19 tons, but no trailer - it would be nice to be mother and daughter both with hgvs - I have a class 1 (held for 20 years - an artic licence - semi trailer I think it is called in America) as there are not that many women over here with these licences. Have to see what happens, the stumbling block is the financial side as usual!! Well you know what they say about 'mad dogs and English men' - probably applies to women too!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
jim slagle said:
I emailed a friend in Stockholm. Let you know if he finds a copy.

Jim

Thomas emailed and so far has not had any luck locating an issue

Jim

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, I tried scaling down on the printer, but cannot see a way to do it. I will obviously have to wait until the chap who sorts out my computer problems comes, then perhaps he will be able to tell me how, I am very much a novice at all this. I am keeping an eye on the photoshop, but I don't think I will be able to post anything as again I don't seem to be able to reduce my photos to anything like the size you mentioned to Villi.

SweGus

Hi there!

Actually I own a copy of the Classic Motor Magazine mentioned above, as well as two (i think) other swedish magazines with articles about the Snow Trac. The sad thing is that I'm working far from home right now and I think I won't be able to scan these until late august. That is if there still is someone intressed of them then.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
SweGus said:
Hi there!

Actually I own a copy of the Classic Motor Magazine mentioned above, as well as two (i think) other swedish magazines with articles about the Snow Trac. The sad thing is that I'm working far from home right now and I think I won't be able to scan these until late august. That is if there still is someone intressed of them then.

:a1: YES we are interested in them!!!! :applause:

If it is possible, when you can get to it, we would love to have you post a scan of the article for all to see. Images in these threads are unfortunately limited in size. However, if you can scan the article and keep each page size under 2MB then you can upload them into the Photo Gallery. (top right corner of the page there is a button to take you to the gallery). Or if you can burn a high resolution copy to a CD and mail it to me, I can format them so they fit the forums.

Do you recall the names of the other magazines?

Also, it would be a huge help if you could translate them to English if they are written in Swedish.

SweGus

One of the magazines is called "Klassiker" but I can't recall the date. I think the last one is an earlier number of Classic Motor Magazine but I'm not sure. Too bad bad I didn't take them with me...

SweGus

I searched the web and found that the other number (featuring the Snow Trac) from Classic Motor Magazine is from march 2003. I wasn't able to find the date of the Klassiker magazine though.

I will scan the articles as soon as possible but as I said, that is probably in the ending of august. Maybe I'll even translate them if I can find the time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
SweGus said:
I searched the web and found that the other number (featuring the Snow Trac) from Classic Motor Magazine is from march 2003. I wasn't able to find the date of the Klassiker magazine though.

I will scan the articles as soon as possible but as I said, that is probably in the ending of august. Maybe I'll even translate them if I can find the time.

Please do me a favor, when you scan the articles, also provide us with the publication detail (magazine name, date, volume #, issue #) we are trying to keep an accurate record of all the publications that have featured articles about the Snow Tracs. I have them indexed by date in a thread located: AT THIS LINK

SweGus

The Classic Motor Magazine website says that features articles about the Snow Trac can be found in these issues:

nr 12 - 1999

nr 3 - 2003

I'm pretty sure that I own these two as I have spent quite some time searching for all articles about Snow-Trac. As for the data on the Klassiker magazine I will have to get back to you when I have it in my hands.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you post a link to Classic Motor Magazine for us?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone found the European VW articles that have the PORSCHE Snow Trac in them? Folks from France sent me a poor Xerox of the article. They are from around the time one of two VW Bugs were sent to the South Pole. It was one of the pieces of mail I got in response to generating the above posted ardicle in VW Trends.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
Has anyone found the European VW articles that have the PORSCHE Snow Trac in them?

I'm not even aware of those articles.