• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Replacement track cleats

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I have decided to stop looking for enough track cleats to repair the tracks I have and just have some new ones made. If anyone is interested let me know. The more we order the farther the price goes down. All I have is a budget price based upon the number I need.
10 gauge Stainless steel $42.00 each
10 gauge galvanized $24.00 each
10 gauge steel $19.50 each
Send me a PM and let me know if anyone is interested. I am thinking about ordering a whole new track setup. If I do the price could go down a lot.
Picture of the wide (4 belt track master) cleat below:

Attachments

• ST4 track cleat 002.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 002.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 767
  • ST4 track cleat 003.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 003.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 771
  • ST4 track cleat 004.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 004.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 765
  • ST4 track cleat 005.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 005.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 763
  • ST4 track cleat 006.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 006.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 777
  • ST4 track cleat 007.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 007.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 755

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
couple more pics

Attachments

• ST4 track cleat 008.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 008.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 742
  • ST4 track cleat 002.jpg
    ST4 track cleat 002.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 743

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Will you have them heat treated ? most all track cleats are at least on the bigger and heavier machine made from spring steel then formed hot and quenched so that the constant movement does not make them crack not sure if the Aktivs were ever heat trated thet may be light enough to not be a problem.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
You bring up a good point Brad..... They dont appear to be heat treated.........anybody know if they are heat treated or if it would even help on these light machines????

tracknut

GOLD Site Supporter
This is tracknuts brother, I just bought a trac master from boggie. I will buy some of the regular steel cleats. I will need probably 40 or more. Greg Mack, Indiana.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
You will need to let me know if you want the wide ones (left or right) or the center ones (left or right). I would consider the new one in the picture a left and the old one a right. After we get a consensus on the heat treating and everyone has time to way in on an order I will take the new quantity to the manufacturer and get a revised price for everyone. I only have a 4 belt trac master for a template. 4 or 5 belt snow master may be different. If those are needed I would like to get one from somebody for a template.

teledawg

You will need to let me know if you want the wide ones (left or right) or the center ones (left or right). I would consider the new one in the picture a left and the old one a right. After we get a consensus on the heat treating and everyone has time to way in on an order I will take the new quantity to the manufacturer and get a revised price for everyone. I only have a 4 belt trac master for a template. 4 or 5 belt snow master may be different. If those are needed I would like to get one from somebody for a template.

4 belt (Trac Master) and 5 belt (Snow Master) wide (ST-4441/ST-4442) AND narrow (ST-4444/ST-4443) grousers are the same.

They are made out of heat-treated spring steel. Just try drilling a hole in one of them...:bonk:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

I will bring you a few this week. Need to go dig them out.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have seen quite a few people try and make cleats in the past. they can look real nice until you use them. then after a while of flexing they will start to crack. spring steel is the way to go. material should be 5160 and heat treated to 387-444 Brinnell you can also use 4140 material. in soft all snow conditions you may get by with none heat treat but where it really becomes a problem is where you are running on hard surfaces or hidden rocks ,stumps etc. just my opinion. :smile:

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I really don't know much about this stuff, any advise would be helpful and appreciated!
What about stainless? Would you also heat treat it?
A lot of the new cats use aluminum, is that because it will flex instead of tearing?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I really don't know much about this stuff, any advise would be helpful and appreciated!
What about stainless? Would you also heat treat it?
A lot of the new cats use aluminum, is that because it will flex instead of tearing?

Aluminum from the extrusion process can and most of the time is heated treated and normalized right at the extruder in most cases T-6 which is the hardest you can get get aluminum.

as far as stainless the only experience we have with it and grousers is that we replaced some that were made in Reno that had failed after less than are years use on a LMC 1500

your best bet is to stick with the steel and if you can not find 5160 use 4140 or even 4410 and take them to heat treater it really does not cost much for heat treating.

teledawg

4 belt (Trac Master) and 5 belt (Snow Master) wide (ST-4441/ST-4442) AND narrow (ST-4444/ST-4443) grousers are the same. ...

My mistake... :shifty:

After further research I realized that 5 belt (and 3 belt) machines use a very slightly different grouser. They shape and dimensions are the same, but each one has two additional holes drilled in it for the peg on the ST-7524/ST-7547 wheel guides to engage into. The wide grousers are part number ST-7528 (left) and ST-7529 (right) and the narrow ones are ST-7526 (left) and ST-7527.

So with the addition of two more holes in each grouser these replicas would work on the newer machines too. I'm not exactly sure on the placement of the extra holes. An existing grouser would have to be measured to get the exact location.

Now if the material and heat treating can get worked out, we'd be set...

Thanks again Kevin for taking this on and sharing! :thumb:

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
My source is looking into the heat treated........they also have a different hardened steel they are using on road grader blades that they are looking into.......will post what I find out!

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I have found a source for heat treating! Reasonably priced also. I am going to order a few wide ones for testing. Anybody have any input or experience on the subject of heat treating? What steel to start with? Anything? I would love the help as I know little to nothing about steel grades and heat treating. My goal is to get reproduced cleats available for the same cost the used ones are trading for.
Kevin