• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier BR160

Musselmark

Our ATV club in eastern canada wants to purchase
A 1995 Bombardier BR160 (6500 hrs) for use in winter for grooming trails with a drag. Can this be used in the summer months, or only on snow?
If so what can it be used for in terms of trail maintenance?

alryA

Nice to have you here with us Mark! I sure some other folks with pipe in but I'll try give you some general answers.

6500 hours is not a lot of hours, but that doesn't mean its in top shape either. Was the oils and filters changed out on a regular bases? Even if its good shape, it being a 95 year model, things will be failing on it.

If the track cleats are steel or aluminum, you shouldn't be using it over the summer. Darn few snow built machines are summer worthy. I have a 6x6 with pods and they definitely come off in the summer. They bit using them on grass or roads!

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to run a 94 br160 for the snowmobile club. The tracks aren't designed for summer use. I have mixed feelings about the br160. It was definitely a love hate relationship.

I'll start with the good. I liked the cab overall comfort minus the steering controls. I'll get to that in a bit.

I also liked the blade and drag controls. Everything at my fingertips.

Now the bad. I also ran a 4 tracked lamtrac. The lamtrac has a regular steering wheel vs the br160 with the steering levers. I cursed those levers more than once. Very touchy to control the machine and after a 12 hour grooming run, my left shoulder was burning and about to fall off. Not to mention that the steering controls line up perfectly with the family jewels when you're getting in and out of the machine.

Next is the power. Let's put it this way. We did a run with both the br160 and the lamtrac running together. The br160 was ahead breaking trail without a drag with the lamtrac behind pulling a drag to make the first pass. With a drag full of fresh snow, it was walking circles around the br160 which wasn't pulling anything.

One thing I loved was the zero degree turning radius. You could spin around in one spot.