• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Job Offer

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I am contemplating a job/career change that could potentially make me happier but will take me away from home more often. Basically the job duties would be things that I already enjoy doing in my spare time. The job would be about 800 miles away from where I live now. I would work a two weeks on – two weeks off schedule. I’m pretty sure I would enjoy the two weeks at home, but it’s the two weeks away from home that has me worried. My wife and I have been married for five years and we don’t have any kids yet, so I feel this is a pretty good time to try this since I don’t have a lot of responsibilities holding me back.
I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this and hopefully you guys can make me think about a few things I might not be seeing.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you enjoy doing it, it sounds like a good choice. My personal philosophy is to make the thing you enjoy 2nd best (or possibly the thing your best at) and make that your career. Save the thing you enjoy the most and save that for your hobby.

OK, lots of questions...

For clarification, are you working for 2 weeks then have 2 weeks off or do you work for 2 weeks onsite then work remote for 2 weeks?

For travel, are you flying or driving? Who picks up travel expenses (both for getting you there and back as well as food, lodging...)?

Timing is good if you don't have kids. If kids are in the near (or far) future, how does that timing coincide with the duration of this new job?

What things need done at the homestead on a regular basis? Is Mrs. Buckle up to doing them if/as required in your absence?

If something breaks or goes wrong, do you have neighbors/friends that can help the Mrs. as needed?

I had a traveling job for many years. Lots of thoughts for you but need more info first.

PS. If your job takes you 800 miles SOUTH, I don't know if I'd take it...

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the good questions...

Answers:

2 weeks working onsite, 2 weeks no working.
Travel is my responsibility, I can get to/from any way I like because I am paying.
My lodging while I am working is provided.
The duration is indefinite, and the Mrs. and I are just unsure about kids altogether.
The only things that have to be done around home on a regular basis are feeding the dogs, taking out the trash, and mowing the grass. Mrs. Buckle already does those things :respect: .
The "what if's" while I'm gone are what has me worried. We live in an old house and while we don't have a lot of big problems, there are occasionally things that I have to fix. I'm not sure who would take care of that while I'm gone.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had several friends and acquaintances over the years that worked a similar schedule in offshore oil exploration or production. These were all people living in the south MS area, and chances are that someone you know is doing this now. You might ask around the community and get some ideas directly from people working such a schedule.
Sometimes men get lonely and act a fool; women do too.
My family separations before retirement were generally much longer than two weeks and I disliked that aspect of my military service.
Depending on where the job is, it's duration, and whether your wife is able, I believe it might be better to make a move to the job site.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, but here comes more questions?
Does Mrs. Buckle work?
Does the lodging provided you to do your own cooking, laundry and such or will you be eating out and stuff all the time?
Does the new employer pay for any meals or other expenses?
Are you an employee of this company or working as a sub-contractor? Do you get any insurance (medical, dental, vision, life, STD/LTD)?

A lot of my questions are based on monitary considerations. In my line of work, the client pays for "Usual and Customary" travel related expenses. In general (and historically speaking), these expenses average approximately $1,000 per week. I guess what I'm saying is to sit down and compute your out-of-pocket expenses and subtract that from the compensation package.

Other pros & cons.
Con You haven't said how you'll be traveling but if by car, remember 2 days of your 2-weeks off will be spent traveling. If by air, you have even more expenses (airfare, car rental, airport parking).

Pro you do get 2 weeks off. You haven't said, but does this 26-week/year opportunity offer a salary similar to a full years compensation? In the 2 weeks you're home, hopefully you can address any preventative maintenance to assure the weeks you're gone are event-free.

Something else to ponder. It's not unusual to either have time or money. It's less common to have both at the same time. Will this job offer you the capability of having both? Without projects (which normally require $$$), those 2 weeks off may be boring.

In general, I had no real issues with travel and often enjoyed it. Most of my travel was M-F so I was almost always home on weekends. Most of my travel was almost by air, so I did rack up the frequent flyer miles. On occasion, Mrs. Zoom would join me if I was going to a nice destination. FF miles to get her there and after that, the only expense was her food (and her SHOPPING while I was at work). It made for nice little vacations for us.

I do travel significantly less now. It's somewhat based on client needs but I also set my rates based on travel requirements. If the travel is little-to-none, I offer them a better rate (which they normally take). For 50% travel, I put a premium on my blended rate (basically, they're paying the premium even on the days I'm at home). This "premium" is for inconvenience to myself as well as my family. I would have to put my daughter in a before and after school program and other monetary inconveniences. If they want me at their site all the time, I just pass on the job.

More later (but I'd better get back to work)

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, Mrs. Buckle works and enjoys her job.
All expenses (food, laundry, etc.) would be paid while I am working.
I would be a sub-contractor.
You bring up a great point with the time-money thing. I really have a problem with that. I know I want both at the same time and I realize that's not always realistic. No, this job would not provide a lot of money, just a lot of time.

cj7

well the guys that do our lighting installations travel all the time..

we take care fo their expenses.

most of them do not mind being gone for 4 or 8 days in a row. they get time off between runs..

Not knowing what the work is or what your life goals are...

I would ask myself .. by taking this job.. how can it help me for the future? Is it something that I can use a a big credential in the future?

what happens if I take it and I it is not working out? what will happen if I leave the project?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Well, I've only been married for close to four years now, so perhaps experience isn't on my side, but I have to ask, what does Mrs. Buckle think?

dzalphakilo

Banned
I have a very sweet and understanding wife. She is telling me to do whatever will make me happy.

Funny, I have the exact same type of wife. Only problem is some times I want to make her happy, which does not always mean that I will be happy.

A catch 22 at times.

Some time ago I had a hard decision to make, as dumb as it may sound, I put it in Gods hands and I knew it would work out for the best (I was shown a "sign", at least how I took it). Ended up staying in N.C, met my wife some time later, and everything worked out.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Funny, I have the exact same type of wife. Only problem is some times I want to make her happy, which does not always mean that I will be happy.

I think that is my biggest concern. I want to be happy, but I love her and also want her to be happy. I'm afraid being away from home so much, even if she says it's okay, won't make her very happy.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm afraid being away from home so much, even if she says it's okay, won't make her very happy.

If you are away and she isn't happy, she may find someone to make her happy. Always remember that. The only advise I am qualified to give.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.