• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mov'n to the farm!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Obviously haven't been posting much lately, but things here have kept me pretty busy.

Long story short: My mother decided to move to town this year, moving one of my long term objectives (move back here and restore the place to it's glory days) up a few years.

So we're selling our place in the northern part of the state [does that negate my premise to tease our ND friends?], and trying to get this place livable [it wasn't bad, but we had to do a few things to make it our home], lived in [overgrowth tends to welcome vandalism], and restorable [hoping a few shingles and windows here and there will buy us some time], moving 100mi south and hoping to find jobs down this way (why can't one have time and money at the same time.....I know Dargo: work hard, capitalize on your investments [time and/or money]and you're set....but since timelines changed I don't feel entirely guilty).

Anyway, I appoligize if I can't visit too much for a while, but I will be able to post interesting pictures more often when I do (I do have pictures of the "russian olive" [likely a local misnomer] that I must find the thread again too).

On the positive the satallite is about as fast as my previous DSL, but it's second or so link up time about drives me nuts - the same reason I understand is a large hinderance to VOIP programs too, but perhaps sometime I'll try it anyway.

Spiffy

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
We accidently showed Mom this picture and she inquired "who's ill-kept place is that?"

Attachments

• coop1.JPG
    coop1.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 91

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
This house is much better condition, but inside it still needed [ahhh needs :eek: ] plenty of work.

Attachments

• House1.JPG
    House1.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 88

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Actually the Super Sawzall was my tool of choice for this task, but since I used the Stihl helmet as saftey gear, I grabbed the 361 for the picture.

As a side note I am very pleased with the 361; though the fact my wife can start the 200 might give me reason to claim that was the better buy! :whistle:

Attachments

• Chimney1.JPG
    Chimney1.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 89

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with the move Spiffy. Sounds like you'll have lots to keep you busy. You'll be a multitasking maniac for awhile. :D
In the picture with the chainsaw you remind me of the chainsaw massacre movies. :)

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Spiffy.. how much chimney is above the section you cut? My farmhouse is an old 1790 log cabin.. your farmhouse looks a lot better then mine. I've loved living on the farm for the last 7 years.. you'll never run out of things to do(or fix). I have the 460 Magnum.. it's a beast.. I've used it mostly for a chainsaw mill.. the FarmBoss handles most of the firewood detail. Best of luck on the job search..

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Good luck with the move Spiffy. Sounds like you'll have lots to keep you busy. You'll be a multitasking maniac for awhile. :D
In the picture with the chainsaw you remind me of the chainsaw massacre movies. :)

Thanks Doc! No doubt on the multitasking :eek: of course, I can't just get to wear one hat at any given time either [every project seems to lead us on several more pressing tangents] so far I've had to play:

Electrician, plaster applicator, mechanic, mason [at least in reverse], carpenter, shingler [having still not found the ladder jacks, that one should count as accrobat too], arborist, carpet layer, painter, vacuum cleaner repairman, fireman [just controlling a large brush pile from earlier tasks; it never tried to get away at all, but a watchful doesn't hurt], vetinarian [just cats - must remember to get wormer next time in town :pat: ], plumber and the host of other things I'm forgetting right now.

I was thinking the chainsaw massacre thing too, but I'm afraid blood might rust my chain. :whistle: :D

Now if I just found a bit more computer time.....oh well. :tiphat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spiffy1 said:
......and the host of other things I'm forgetting right now.
Take a break now and then and play bartender :tiphat:

It does sound like you have your hands full. Good luck!!!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
kensfarm said:
Spiffy.. how much chimney is above the section you cut? My farmhouse is an old 1790 log cabin.. your farmhouse looks a lot better then mine. I've loved living on the farm for the last 7 years.. you'll never run out of things to do(or fix). I have the 460 Magnum.. it's a beast.. I've used it mostly for a chainsaw mill.. the FarmBoss handles most of the firewood detail. Best of luck on the job search..

I drilled it and ran some support rods about halfway up the second floor, so I could rebrace it up there (I figured about 2 feet above the floor so I'd have about a 60 degree angle on braceboards back to the wall); however we got that far and decided to take the whole thing out. A high efficiency furnace [PVC vent] was installed about 5 or 10 years ago, and the chimney looked too rough for me to be comfortable running wood through it.

I actually went to look at the FarmBoss when I become mesmorized with the 361. I wanted just a little more HP than the 290 had so I could run a 24" bar (the 20" on my old saw was always just a bit short - the 24" is occasionally slightly awkward, and right at the limits of the 361's HP, but I don't regret it over the 20" for the strange variety of tasks I have). The 390 looked about right (I also oggled a 460 briefly but never even tested it as it did feel like a beast for the tasks I have) too, but just couldn't help but like the 361.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
beds said:
Take lots of "before" pics RIGHT NOW. I put off doing that and it never got done.

Great advice! No matter how many we take it seems we wish we had a couple more.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Take a break now and then and play bartender :tiphat:

It does sound like you have your hands full. Good luck!!!

:yum: How do you think I found computer time [rather than sleep] at 1AM last night? :whistle:

Finished putting a new blower fan in the furnace/central air about midnight and had to raid the fridge. On the down side, I noticed 12 packs of "Steel Reserve High Gravity Lager" on sale at the grocery store last time we were shopping and thought it looked like a good buy on a beer I hadn't tried [or seen] before. Research upon being highly dissappointed with the first sip, points to the fact that it's "get me drunk cheap" not "enjoy in tall lager glass." Anyway, I consumed four cans last night, and this morning still think I need to brush my tongue....thus some computer time now. :eek: :pat: