• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Garage Heaters

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Thinking of installing a garage heater for next winter (I don't like to work that fast for this winter). Northern Tool has this model Mr. Heater on sale for $399. Is anyone familiar with this unit? Good, Bad, or other opinions appreciated. The garage is 38' x 30' x 11' high with a 10' x 10', 7' x 9', and a 8' x 9' insulated steel garage doors. Thanks...........Junk.....

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Garage_4.JPG

Just above the rear of the pickup is my garage furnace. It is a 40K BTU natural gas fired unit whoes brand I cannot remember. It keeps my 28 x 36 garage (with a 10 x 9 insulated door) nice all winter. I got it from the same place that installed my home furnace. The installed price was something like $400. That included the gas piping from the meter (I had to dig the trench though, yes by hand).

I would advise caution for something that you (or someone who buys your home) may not be able to get support for in the future. IMO.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junk

Sorry, don't know anything about that unit.

Av8r - That's a Reznor but too tired to look up the model right now. Personally, I run their stuff 100% and think very highly of it.

Kubota King

Junkman said:
Thinking of installing a garage heater for next winter (I don't like to work that fast for this winter). Northern Tool has this model Mr. Heater on sale for $399. Is anyone familiar with this unit? Good, Bad, or other opinions appreciated. The garage is 38' x 30' x 11' high with a 10' x 10', 7' x 9', and a 8' x 9' insulated steel garage doors. Thanks...........Junk.....

Junk -

It looks like a nice unit. If you want, I can check with my heating friend & ask if he as a camparible unit that might be better for the same money. What is Notherns shipping charge to your home?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Shipping is $60 and no sales tax. The vent kit is $81 and that is in the $60 shipping quote. The total delivered is $540..... by FedEx or UPS.... don't remember....

Kubota King

FYI I spoke to the heating contractor today. He is going to let me know for sure tomarrow but he is thinking because of the sale northern is having on this unit, it will be hard to beat that price. He said the unit you are tempting to purchase is made by Reznor even though it has the Mr Heater name on it. I will let you know his price tomarrow.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kubota King said:
He said the unit you are tempting to purchase is made by Reznor even though it has the Mr Heater name on it.
???
That's odd. To my knowledge, Reznor doesn't put any other name on their heaters (other then their own).
It it's important, I'll see if I can find out as a friend of mine is a plant supervisor at Reznor.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Like Brian, I doubt Reznor (AKA Thomas & Betts) "makes" the Mr. Heater line.

Reznor not only manufacturers residential unit heaters (sealed combustion and "duct" heaters as well), but pretty much "everything under the sun" when it comes to commerical applications, including make up air units and waste oil heaters.

They not only have a plant up in Mercer (where the company started), but ship alot of product out of Mexico as well.

Talked with an Engineer (sp?) at Reznor and didn't reconize the Mr. Heater line as well.

Also wouldn't follow Reznors distribution process (going through a retail store as mentioned here).

Thats not to say that with such a "huge" manufacturing facility/plants, that it may be possible that the "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" (as far as who you talk to in what division at Reznor), but unlikely.

Overall for that price, if your doing the work yourself, it's a hard price to beat. Didn't look at the unit you mentioned, just make sure it's electronic ignition and not a standing pilot model.

Kubota King

bczoom said:
???
That's odd. To my knowledge, Reznor doesn't put any other name on their heaters (other then their own).
It it's important, I'll see if I can find out as a friend of mine is a plant supervisor at Reznor.

Ok - today my heating friend said that 100% not doubt about it Reznor makes MR heater. His reznor distributor confirmed it today. He also said his cost on the same size unit as you are looking at ,Junk, only commercial grade would be $700 & he recommended you jump on this sale that Northern is having. Best of luck with it. Sorry I couldnt save you money but I tried.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kubota King said:
Ok - today my heating friend said that 100% not doubt about it Reznor makes MR heater. His reznor distributor confirmed it today.
I stand corrected.
Thanks KK for the new info. I had never heard of Reznor being sold under another name.
I guess it's the new mgmt that's been there for the past few years (which is the same group that moved almost everything to Mexico :toilet: )

dzalphakilo

Banned
Kubota King said:
Ok - today my heating friend said that 100% not doubt about it Reznor makes MR heater. His reznor distributor confirmed it today. He also said his cost on the same size unit as you are looking at ,Junk, only commercial grade would be $700 & he recommended you jump on this sale that Northern is having. Best of luck with it. Sorry I couldnt save you money but I tried.

Mr. Heater is a subsidiary of Enerco Group, located in Ohio.

Mr. Heater, per model number MHU75LP (per Junkman's link) has no connection to Reznor in anyway.

Not sure what commerical grade you heating friend was looking at, the "norm" for both commercial and residential applications would be the V3 series, or perhaps the old FE or F models (doubt he would look at the X-series duct furnace or the SHE seperated cumbustion model) for a mounted unit heater in a garage/warehouse (and $700 sounds "kind of high").

Can I ask the name of the Distributor who gave this information that Mr. Heater was "made" by Reznor?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Well, I wouldn't bet my life that there is no connection, but I talked directly to "Mr. Heater" at 800-251-0001 located in Cleveland, Ohio and they tell me that Reznor does not make their unit heaters.

Talked directly to Reznor AND Thomas & Betts (in Tn.)and they have "no clue" who the maunfacturer is of "Mr. Heater" is.

Since two "differerent" companies tell me the "same thing", I have to believe (sp?) that there is no connection between Mr. Heater and Reznor).

I can't believe (sp?) that I took the time to verify this:drink:

Junkman, go with the Mr. Heater for that price.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I stand corrected.
Thanks KK for the new info. I had never heard of Reznor being sold under another name.
KK,
In light of DZ's findings, can you straighten it out? I'm interested myself.

Kubota King

bczoom said:
KK,
In light of DZ's findings, can you straighten it out? I'm interested myself.

I will ask my heating friend if there is a way he can prove it but I can tell you he is in his mid sixties & has been doing the heating trade since he got out of the service more then 30 years ago. He said that these sources that DZ inquired to dont neccessarily always know the answer but will use an educated guess to get rid of the call or they arent aware so the truely believe that they should know even if they shouldnt know. I can tell you that on a motorcyle forum not to long ago, a guy was on there trying to prove that Buell Bikes were not owned by Harley Davidson. Harley didnt invent them, harley bought the Trade Mark from Erik Buell & now owns full ownership. Unfortunalty unlike BZ, I dont have all that much time to search the web & "prove" my case however, I will always believe Mr heater is owned by Reznor just the same as I will always believe Buell is owned by Harley Davidson.
If I do get more time in the next few weeks, I will "prove it". I've been really busy with helping a buddy of mine that is loosing everything due to a loss of his job early in 05'. I have been helping him sell stuff, them arrange shipping on these things.....2 of which were large boats that require permits, so needless to say, I cant believe January is almost half way done!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kubota King said:
If I do get more time in the next few weeks, I will "prove it".
KK,

You don't really need to prove anything. You have more important things to do.

I just asked "In light of DZ's findings, can you straighten it out? I'm interested myself."

dzalphakilo

Banned
Kubota King said:
I will ask my heating friend if there is a way he can prove it but I can tell you he is in his mid sixties & has been doing the heating trade since he got out of the service more then 30 years ago. He said that these sources that DZ inquired to dont neccessarily always know the answer but will use an educated guess to get rid of the call or they arent aware so the truely believe that they should know even if they shouldnt know.

I agree with you on that point.

Only reason why I was pursuing the "issue" as to who actually manufacturers equipment is because I deal with these "people" on a regular basis.

Either on this board or another forum, someone made that comment that Trane/American Standard was "bought out" by someone else. I wanted to follow up on that statement because is could affect my business and I didn't know anything about it. Talked with the CFO at Trane and other people and I found out it wasn't true (if I remember correctly, the person who made that statement mantioned that he was in error).

When I was located up in Brian's neck of the woods, I actually had Reznor as both a Vendor and a customer.

We did ALOT of business with Reznor last year, so I would like to think that the people in their "office" would not mislead me if I asked them a simple question (some of which I used to take out to lunch).

I am not trying to "underhand" your friends information, but it sounds like per your post that he got his information from a distributor. The question would be where that distributor got the information (and I assure you, they would go through the same channels as myself).

Usually, even if a brand is "subcontracted" out, someone in one of those organizations will know/have SOME information. In this case, I couldn't find it, and I seriously doubt that the distributor who gave this info to your friend could verify this (I didn't just talk to a "customer service rep" who can only say "thank you").

Per your quote, it is also not uncommon for a distributor to "tell a contractor anything" for whatever reason they may have.

On a flip note, I was just at a manufacturing plant in S.C yesterday. Without going into "name brands", I still get into disscussions (sp?) with some contractors that one brand is NOT MADE by a particular compnay, but...I've seen with my own eyes the equipment coming off the assmebly line and then sticking a "sticker" on it making it look like its coming from another State (no where near S.C) with the other company's (sp?) lable on it as well.

I did talk with a person who has been to the Mexico plant.

Point being seeing is believing (sp?)

Ok Junkman, did you get the unit;)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I ordered the unit yesterday. The site says "in stock" and shipping should take about a week. If it is anything like my Bock water heater, it will take about 1 1/2 to 5 years to find the time to install it. I purchased the Bock in September 04 with the anticipation the the old unit was going to fail since it was already 20+ years old. It still hasn't and the wife hasn't stopped reminding me of this. It is always good to have a spare on hand for when the failure happens. Junk......

dzalphakilo

Banned
Kubota King said:
unlike BZ, I dont have all that much time to search the web & "prove" my case however,

Honestly, I don't have that much time:eek: just can spend a good part of the day on the computer and phone due to my business, which Reznor is a part of (I also made my numbers last year and January is my "recoup" time for all the long hours the last seven months:a1: )

Ironically (sp?) just worked on a quote for a plumbing company on Bock water heaters that they were interested in.

Ironic because Bock does have electric water heaters (which is what the plumber was interested in), but they "sub" them out and "don't make them themselves" (the electric, not the good ol 32E).

Another reason for my "in depth" search (more time than I wanted to) is what I'm doing right now.

Have a 410A system a contractor needs a compressor for. Call the manufacturer and they don't have the compressor, one month lead time. I know this system (outdoor unit) is "made" by a "parent company". Call the parent company, they have the compressor at one of their distribution centers that they can ship straight to me (keep in mind, two different vendors). I need to do paperwork, but the compressor will not cost the contractor anything, and I will have it for him in two days instead of a month.
Keep in mind, although I'm dealing with two different vendors, each had the same part number for the compressor even though it was "private labled" by vendor 1 and I'm getting the compressor from vendor 2.

Now, say I have a customer who does over 500k a year with me. He has one of these Mr. Heaters that he wants me to do the wrty paperwork (for whatever reason) on and supply the part. I keep my customers happy (I need the check:D ), and if I could do it for him, I would. But...at this point, from everything I researched (sp?), I can't supply the part under wrty. If Reznor did "make" the Mr. Heater line, my customer "could" expect me to supply the parts even if he didn't buy the equipment from me. Per Reznor, I ran this scenerio by them, and they told me that they could not supply the parts to me if they wanted to because no one there can find a "Mr. Heater" line (even if the Mr. Heater line had an "exclusive" agreement with Reznor on supplying parts for that line (Mr. Heater), Reznor should be able to have access on a parts breakdown either in the engineering (sp?) or technical department).

That is one reason why I put so much time in trying to figure out who makes Mr. Heater.

Last edited:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
It's on the way.....

According to UPS, it should be here tomorrow...... If it were FedEx, I would expect that it would take at least a month and then they would loose it once it arrived in CT. FedEx has given me lousy service for years... :mad: UPS is always on time..... :applause:

On Time

Scheduled Delivery: 01/18/2006
Shipped to: CT, US
Shipped or Billed on: 01/16/2006

Tracking Number: 1Z 212 975 03 3535
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 88.00 Lbs
Note: Your package is in the UPS system and is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 01/18/2006.

Package Progress:

Location Date Local Time Activity
SECAUCUS, NJ, US 01/17/2006 9:11 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/17/2006 5:54 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
RICHMOND, VA, US 01/17/2006 8:20 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/17/2006 7:33 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
CHARLOTTE, NC, US 01/16/2006 11:51 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/16/2006 5:54 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 01/16/2006 1:30 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Just a follow up.... the heater did arrive and I did get it installed in a timely manner. In shipping, it was dropped on one corner and there was a ever so small dent in the case. Nothing that would have bothered me, so I installed it. After it was installed, it wouldn't fire off, so I called and got instructions on what to look for. It turned out to have a cracked circuit board and a cracked igniter. They immediately sent both of these item to me and I installed them. Then I ran into the problem that the flame runner wouldn't bring the flame up to the last 2 top burners, so the unit would shut down on the safety. Called them back and they said to remove the flame runner and spread the metal a bit. I did that and it worked fine. Since I wasn't using the garage that much and the weather had also turned warm, I didn't give it much more though. Today I fired the unit up and it warmed the garage. Then when the thermostat called for heat again, it wouldn't fire off the last two burners. Just finished talking to the tech people at Mr Heater, and they are sending me a complete new flame runner assembly. I might have had problems with the unit, but the service from the tech support has been great, and they don't give you any grief about sending parts....

Kubota King

Thats a great review, Junkman...thanks! I am going to order one of those units after the holidays (money is being spent on gifts till then)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
If you can hold off till January, they usually put them on sale for $399... or $100 off the normal price. If you buy it at the higher price and they drop the price, they will give you a refund, but no guaranty that this will happen this year. That is what happened to me with mine, but I would think that it is better to just wait it out for the better price... Junk.