• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Inconsiderate drivers

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The other thread about crosswalks prompted me to make this one as to not detract from the topic of that thread.

One thing that really pisses me off is when I'm pulling a trailer and there are other drivers around. The speed limit on the expressway here is 90km. Most drivers have a hard time doing 80km on a clear sunny day. UNTIL I put a trailer on behind. The same driver that was struggling to hold 70km in a 90km zone is now doing 120km just to get around me because in their minds I am holding them up and have no right to be on the same road as them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Another thing that boils my butt is when I'm backing up my trailer into the driveway. I wait till the coast is clear both ways then proceed to start backing up. This happened yesterday when I brought the camper home. I was in the process of backing it into the driveway when some inconsiderate a hole came barreling down the street doing 70 in a 50. Then he pulls up as close as he can to my truck while I'm backing up not allowing me to make corrections to line up properly. Then as soon as the lane coming opposite to him is clear enough for his impatient ass to squeeze past the front of my truck he motors by flooring it in displeasure that I held him up by an extra 10 seconds. I layed on my horn and promptly told him he was number 1 using hand gestures. Grrrr. That pisses me off. And I know damned well the same driver would be one that can barely do 70km in a 90km zone.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It sucks driving behind a trailer at any speed
I tend to scan the road way ahead of me.
Can't do that behind a trailer.
So I tend to pass so I can be prepared for what's ahead.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I pull a trailer all the time. People CAN NOT stand being behind a trailer. They will do anything to get around you.....unsafe passes, cut you off, dive bomb you on the right hand side. Even with kids in the car! If only they had an ounce of brains they would stay behind me because I can't stop this rig on a dime. I don't let it get to me anymore...my blood pressure is high enough!

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to think like that. Now I just use the 3 second rule and I'm fine. UNTIL some ahole in a rush to get to the next light cuts in front of me. Leave a distance from the vehicle in front and you have no problem seeing what's coming. Rule of thumb. If you can't see my mirrors then I can't see you.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you can't see my mirrors then I can't see you.
I've always called BS on that one. It's true that the driver in the front vehicle can't see YOUR FACE in his mirrors but a car or truck is a lot larger than your face.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Just wait…. foliage season is coming. There will be scores of rubber-necking blue-hairs going half the speed limit and too ignorant to pull over.

One section of road I travel doesn't have a passing zone for 5-7 miles depending which way you are going and you would think there were hairpin turns about to pop up in the 50 mile an hour zone !

I want to invent a projector that will project the speed limit from my windshield to their rear view mirror ( in case they ever look in it…)

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I know that even with towing mirrors on the truck I can't see a little car that's maybe 5 feet wide if it's only 10 feet off the back bumper of the camper. Remember that the camper is pushing 8 feet wide. However if they hang back I can see them and they can see around me and determine if it's safe to pass.

Another thing that I've noticed a lot of since my accident is that there is a large number of drivers out there who have forgotten what a turn signal is used for. These are the people weaving in and out of traffic without signalling before changing lanes.

loboloco

I've always called BS on that one. It's true that the driver in the front vehicle can't see YOUR FACE in his mirrors but a car or truck is a lot larger than your face.
Unfortunately, it is true. If you have pulled behind a trailer close enough that your driving position can't be seen, the whole vehicle is pretty much hidden. This is because tractor mirrors see down the trailer and leave a very large dead space behind the trailer.

loboloco

Unfortunately, when you get in front of a vehicle towing a trailer, unless you immediately accelerate very far away(2 to 3 miles) you have increased the likelihood of being rear ended.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I always try to leave at least a three second gap between me and the vehicle in front. That gives me enough time to stop. This is especially important when I have a 9000lb camper on the back. Some people don't respect that though and will squeeze in front if there's a gap.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
And on the same subject.... I was pulling out of the grocery store and someone was turning in.... no problem....This motorcycle was following the car turning in so close I never saw him. Then he decides to pass the car while it is turning. Completely blocked from view. Luckily I did see him finally. He yelled at me and I yelled at him and we went on our merry way.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to think like that. Now I just use the 3 second rule and I'm fine. UNTIL some ahole in a rush to get to the next light cuts in front of me. Leave a distance from the vehicle in front and you have no problem seeing what's coming. Rule of thumb. If you can't see my mirrors then I can't see you.

I wound not want my safety dependent on the trailer driver in front of me.
He could be distracted and head on into something without applying brakes.

3 seconds is useless.

And as far as being in front of a rig, I scan my mirrors often. I have all sorts of options with an out of control trailer hauler behind me.

I want to be in control of my environment as much as possible.

Driving behind a trailer is not comfortable.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I get that also. It's not fun being around a vehicle with a trailer. But I also try to respect their right to be on the same road as me and give them plenty of space either behind or in front.

Anyone who watches racing will know that when a car behind gets right up to the back bumper of the car in front it causes the car in front to get loose and often start wiggling all over the road. The same applies to a vehicle with a trailer on behind traveling at highway speed. If a large enough vehicle coming from behind gets close enough to the back bumper of a ball hitch camper it will make the camper unstable and cause it to swerve at over the road. Most drivers don't realize that. This usually doesn't apply to a fifth wheel trailer

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
The thing I hated most when I was driving a truck with a trailer was the a**hole who would pass you and then cut in front of you and then jam on the brakes. I had that happen more times than I can count.

I'm also not uncomfortable driving behind a tractor trailer, what I fear are the weekenders who only pull a trailer, (i.e. camper,) once or twice during the summer. And, now that I live on the lake I watch a lot of boaters try to back up to the launch ramp and it takes them a half an hour to figure out how to do it. :hammer:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. I can relate. Or the ones who are so quick to pass you when you're holding 105km in a 90km zone then slow down in front of you to 80km.

Or another one that pisses me off royally is ones that do 110km in a passing lane but when it narrows back to two lanes they slam on the brakes and can't do 80km.