• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cell phone while driving

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
ANYONE talkin on a Cell phone while driving should be hit with a minimum $1000 ticket and have that fucking cell phone implanted up their ass .Or lose their drivers license for 5 years and if caught driving without one after it was taken away , they should be sent to prison to do hard labor for 5 years .
If they bitch they automatically get 5 more years added .

So..... You really want to know how I feel about fucking cell phones ???:w00t2:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks Allen I thought you were a buddy. seriously I just answer it and pull over when on a busy road. I don't text or call out while driving in my mind there is no difference from talking on a 2 way radio.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never have owned one but was asked to put up a tower on my place.
some people can't multitask.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Why should the penalties be more than drunk or impaired driving. DUI drivers Jim more people than cell phone talking people.

Not condoning talking on cell, just don't understand the aggression.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate using my cell phone while driving but I do it. My car makes it a handsfree operation, the radio mutes, the phone plays through the speaker system, you simply keep your hands on the wheel, talk normally and it all works.

Its about as good as you can get, but I still don't like to talk on the phone and drive, even with the built in telematics.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I hate using my cell phone while driving but I do it. My car makes it a handsfree operation, the radio mutes, the phone plays through the speaker system, you simply keep your hands on the wheel, talk normally and it all works.

Its about as good as you can get, but I still don't like to talk on the phone and drive, even with the built in telematics.

I like that hands free system but still find it distracting to drive and talk on the phone. If I get a call while driving, I'll either ignore the call or swipe my finger across the screen quickly which sends a text message to the other person saying can't talk, driving! It gets to be a pain in the butt anyways when driving since I carry two cell phones.(my own and one for work)

Thankfully there were no serious injuries in the accident I posted. Scary moment for sure.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
mine is carried on a lanyard around my neck dialing out is a pain but to answer isn't much different than talking on a 2 way radio. as for distractions some of these new touch screen dashes with climate controls navigation and other crap in them seem to me to be more distracting than a little phone.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I find nothing wrong with Cellphone usage while driving. On the other hand, I find plenty wrong with people who use their phone while driving, but cannot do so, be aware of their surroundings, and the lethal weapon they no longer have under their control.

But worse I have issues with those who would suggest that because their are idiots on the highways, I cannot use my cell phone properly, and therefore legally, while operating a motor vehicle.

There always has been, and always will be, idiots on the road. Be the distraction a cellphone, a burger or a cigarette,,,,, let nature take it's course with them and remove their potential from the gene pool.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
My cell phone connects to my hearing aids, no visual involvement. The interface for the hearing aids will also voice dial the phone, again no visual involvement.

The question them becomes, what is wrong about talking while driving? Would one not normally do that if there were a passenger in the vehicle?

Good point on the new center consoles with the multifunction display screens.

What would go a lot farther is some means of screening drivers as t their ability to drive and deal with the full spectrum of distractions that one normally encounters. Lots of people just mentally should not drive and the driving tests have gotten easier. I suppose this is just part of the rampant dumbing down of society.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Yep, me too. The majority of my conversations are very short, even if I'm not in the car. In the car I do keep it short and sweet if possible. Exchange info and bye bye.

If I get a call while driving I also pull off the road.

I have also pulled off the road if I get a call that cannot be kept short. Work problem issues, web site issues stuff like that which requires discussion, if I'm driving I will either turn off on to a side road and stop, or tell them I'll call back in 5 min or so.

I like that hands free system but still find it distracting to drive and talk on the phone. If I get a call while driving, I'll either ignore the call or swipe my finger across the screen quickly which sends a text message to the other person saying can't talk, driving! It gets to be a pain in the butt anyways when driving since I carry two cell phones.(my own and one for work)

Thankfully there were no serious injuries in the accident I posted. Scary moment for sure.

That sounds pretty slick GG. I've never heard of swiping your phone and it texting that you are driving and will call them back. Kewl.

I find nothing wrong with Cellphone usage while driving. On the other hand, I find plenty wrong with people who use their phone while driving, but cannot do so, be aware of their surroundings, and the lethal weapon they no longer have under their control.

But worse I have issues with those who would suggest that because their are idiots on the highways, I cannot use my cell phone properly, and therefore legally, while operating a motor vehicle.

There always has been, and always will be, idiots on the road. Be the distraction a cellphone, a burger or a cigarette,,,,, let nature take it's course with them and remove their potential from the gene pool.

The problem is those idiots to often kill innocents who were driving just fine and the idiots lose control and hit them head on or run them off the road etc. etc.

My cell phone connects to my hearing aids, no visual involvement. The interface for the hearing aids will also voice dial the phone, again no visual involvement.

The question them becomes, what is wrong about talking while driving? Would one not normally do that if there were a passenger in the vehicle?

Good point on the new center consoles with the multifunction display screens.

What would go a lot farther is some means of screening drivers as t their ability to drive and deal with the full spectrum of distractions that one normally encounters. Lots of people just mentally should not drive and the driving tests have gotten easier. I suppose this is just part of the rampant dumbing down of society.

It would be nice if they screened drivers period. I figure we've all seen folks who should not be allowed on the road, causing traffic issues or an accident all because they don't think about what the F they are doing.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure on the laws down in the states but up here there's a minimum $280 fine for being a distracted driver. Whether it be talking on the cell phone, drinking/eating etc. We are allowed hands free cell phone devices though.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The problem is those idiots to often kill innocents who were driving just fine and the idiots lose control and hit them head on or run them off the road etc. etc.

True, but, the problem lies in the idiocy, not the cell phone. Banning cell phone use does not remove that problem. But it is something the authorities can target easy. They will do so not because it is efficacious but because,,,,,,,they want to and they can.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
True, but, the problem lies in the idiocy, not the cell phone. Banning cell phone use does not remove that problem. But it is something the authorities can target easy. They will do so not because it is efficacious but because,,,,,,,they want to and they can.

So what your saying is if those idiots were not talking on cell phones they would never be in accidents ???What does this idiot look like ? I need to stay as far away as possible from them .

Driving is tough enough anymore . You need to be watching and paying attention to driving not pushing in a phone number .
So I assume you have a hands free system where your hands never leave the wheel .That is smart on your part .
Also kids follow by example so if it is ok for just you to use the phone than it is ok for them too .Hell , people are even texting going down the road now .
Sorry man , That ain't gonna fly with me .
Double standards don't impresss me .
I did hear that Chevy is coming out with a new car with big mirrors so women can put on make up while driving and it has a small dining table with a kitchenette where the driver can eat and prepare food to save time while he is driving to the accident .

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
All things considered I like my old truck delayed wipers radio 2m 2way and a stick shift just nothing to distract me from my chore at hand. the radio plays an endless stream of cw music from an mp3 player .and I get pissed whensome one gets into the truck and starts messing with my controls. all audio devices are pre set and are comfortable to hear over the engine, I hate when that one song comes on some one like wife or kids hear they just have to crank it up to here. some one fidgeting with the controls on my dash is as much a distraction as a phone. my truck is like a uh1 no co pilot required so keep your hands to your self.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So what your saying is if those idiots were not talking on cell phones they would never be in accidents ???What does this idiot look like ? I need to stay as far away as possible from them .

Driving is tough enough anymore . You need to be watching and paying attention to driving not pushing in a phone number .
So I assume you have a hands free system where your hands never leave the wheel .That is smart on your part .
Also kids follow by example so if it is ok for just you to use the phone than it is ok for them too .Hell , people are even texting going down the road now .
Sorry man , That ain't gonna fly with me .
Double standards don't impresss me .
I did hear that Chevy is coming out with a new car with big mirrors so women can put on make up while driving and it has a small dining table with a kitchenette where the driver can eat and prepare food to save time while he is driving to the accident .
I never said that. I said, essentially, that idiots cannot be removed from the highway by any law. Particulaly it cannot be done without infringing on the rights of responsible drivers.

I object to laws that limit what I can do responsibly just because someone is offended that another driver is on the cell phone.

It is the other driver's innability to properly focus their attention. If distractions are to be blamed and outlawed then no car or light truck should include the following..

Radios,
Navigation systems
Blue tooth
CD players
DVD players
Children
Pets
Ashtrays
Lighters
Cup Holders
Glove compartments
Map lights
Manually operated AC and heaters.

Not even in police cars.

We should also include, Reading Text books on the way to school, Makeup and Food.

When you tell me you are willing to give up, all of those items, because, based on the logic of distraction, cellphones are to be banned, I'll listen to your logic

And then still disagree.

Danger is Mother Nature's way of getting stupitidy out of the gene pool. There are no laws that prevent stupidity. But we seem to have many that promote it.

It takes a minimum of two idiots to collide two cars. At least one to fuck up and another not to notice. I never expect the other driver to be sane, sober, or polite, much less intelligent enough not to run into my car.....just because laws exist that says he ought not to do that.

I don't know about anybody else, but when I drive, I take seriously my responsibility, not to park a tree, a sign post, a bridge abuttment, or another vehicle on my dashboard.:whistling:

My cell phone use has never interferred with that mission.

Last edited:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I use my phone to take pix of my odometer.
I make calls.
I receive calls.

I listen to the radio and change stations.
I operate a gas pedal.
I operate the cruise control
I adjust the temperature
I turn on the rear defroster
I turn on/off the wipers.

Y'all just hate cell phones and want to exert control - are y'all democrats now?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I use my phone to take pix of my odometer.
I make calls.
I receive calls.

I listen to the radio and change stations.
I operate a gas pedal.
I operate the cruise control
I adjust the temperature
I turn on the rear defroster
I turn on/off the wipers.

Y'all just hate cell phones and want to exert control - are y'all democrats now?

How many remember the days when only the rich guys in BMW's had cell phones. Ya'll hated us then. This is just a carry over, right?:hammer:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter

I agree that banning the phones will have very little impact, but it is as you say an easy target and they get to thump their
chests and say, "Look, we addressed the problem! Aren't we wonderful?" And the obliviots actually believe something
meaningful was done and keep voting for them.

Sky

I honestly try not to talk and drive. I will not do it if there are others in the car with me. And if the weather is crappy I will not talk and drive.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree that banning the phones will have very little impact, but it is as you say an easy target and they get to thump their
chests and say, "Look, we addressed the problem! Aren't we wonderful?" And the obliviots actually believe something
meaningful was done and keep voting for them.
Look, My son lives in Connecticut. They have draconian laws about cell phone use while driving.

Two years ago he was hit by a Fire district rescue vehicle that was not going to an emergency call. There is a despute,and possible cover up, over whether or not the driver was on the cell phone at the time.

WHY?

Because if he was on the radio he was not in violation of the law. Like that somehow makes a difference. My son still has a broken back.

Not the cell phone's fault. It was the user's fault.

When we stop placing responsibility on the perpetrator and instead on the technolgy or their home environment, we no longer are a nationof useful laws. But laws that limit everyone's lives at the expense of the freedoms of responsible people. People who did nothing to deserve the restriction or loss of their freedom.

Same as with gun restictions. At the end of the day,,,,no one is actually safer.

BTW, Despite being available in our vehicles for over 60 years.......not one state has laws specificaly bannig the use of CB radios while driving. It was not until widespread use of cell phones that anyone had a problem with such communication devices in our cars and trucks.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I honestly try not to talk and drive. I will not do it if there are others in the car with me.
About the only time my phone gets used in the car is when I hand it to one of the kids to make or take the call. They can put it on speaker or relay messages or whatever.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
How many remember the days when only the rich guys in BMW's had cell phones. Ya'll hated us then. This is just a carry over, right?:hammer:

Chit, before BMW's were cool....

I had a 1976 Lincoln Mark IV, Black diamondfire paint, black interior, the polished dish wheels, etc. I was pimpin'.

I had a Motorola telephone. It was essentially a two way radio, but would connect to to a dialing device, so I could get and receive phone calls. It had a black Princess-type dial phone! Remember those? On the hump. A big ol box in the trunk. This was 77/78 time frame, the car was pretty new at the time, but did have it installed after I had bought it.

If I called you, you couldn't talk to me until I was done talking, and vice versa because only one side could be on-line at a time.

If I recall, it was something like 50 bucks a month plus a dollar a minute, either way. Don't call me, I'll call you!

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't talk on the phone while driving. I guess someone w/ the proper sheepskin on the wall could explain the difference between talking on the phone while driving and talking to my wife or passenger in the car. For some reason if I'm on the phone I feel my head isn't totally in the driving game.
As far as cause of accidents goes, I think driving while texting is the major cause as it requires not only the use of one or both hands but also the eyes. IMO if texting while driving is found to be the cause of severe injury or death in a vehicle accident it should be a criminal offense.
JMHO,
Mike

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't talk on the phone while driving. I guess someone w/ the proper sheepskin on the wall could explain the difference between talking on the phone while driving and talking to my wife or passenger in the car. For some reason if I'm on the phone I feel my head isn't totally in the driving game.
As far as cause of accidents goes, I think driving while texting is the major cause as it requires not only the use of one or both hands but also the eyes. IMO if texting while driving is found to be the cause of severe injury or death in a vehicle accident it should be a criminal offense.
JMHO,
Mike
I would agree with you about texting. The slight distraction of your wife or any passenger is hardly enough to affect one's driving ability. But texting requires the eyes off the road. That is unarguably the definition of stupid.

Sadly, one can do it with the phone in their lap, unobserved by the police. But hanging a phone, Blue tooth, or even an ear bud, on your ear is obvious. Being easy, they will go for that law.

Doesn't stop stupid.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Driving is an art form and can't be practiced to its fullest if you are distracted. Doesn't matter what the distraction is it's still a distraction. Argue amongst yourselves as to which distraction you wish to be legal and which you don't want to be legal, it doesn't matter.

In its purest form (level 10) driving isn't just about whats immediately in front of you. It's looking as far ahead as is possible, knowing who's/whats on each side of you, who's behind and coming up fast, where on the track (err, I mean road) everyone is and allowing your brain to assemble/change/feed the information as you progress. This just isn't possible if you're talking on a cell phone, a CB or to your wife.

In its poorest form (as displayed by a chatty oriental woman who just arrived in the states or perhaps a Valley Girl from the 80's) driving is something they pay attention to between everything else that they happen to be engaged in.

Pick the level of performance you wish to engage in and do it to your best ability. I prefer to practice at the highest level possible as it takes a lot of attention to navigate around all the rest of you Cell Phone/CB talkers who are hell bent on assuming oriental pedigree. :biggrin:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife's new car has all that fancy Bluetooth stuff. Just tell it what radio station you want and it automatically tunes it. Tell it to call somebody and it does it all hands free. The other day I told it to "make coffee" .... not a darned thing. Must be a female car. :biggrin:

As for phoning and driving .... NEVER. I never call anyone when driving. If it rings while I'm on the road, I may look to see who it is but I never answer. If it's somebody i want to talk to I'll pull off and call them back otherwise they can leave a message and I'll get back to them when I feel like it or NOT.

I learned many years ago that I can't drive and handle the mechanics of a phone at the same time, especially if I'm in traffic of any kind. So, I just don't do it. It's something to do with being right hand dominant and only having one hand on the wheel. For those who mentioned it, when I drove a cab in the UK and drove a company vehicle with a radio in the US, I still couldn't do it very well. I guess I"m just not good at multi-tasking.

Gunsrus

Talking on your cellphone when you're driving is about the dumbest thing anyone can do. Anyone with any shred of sense shouldn't be so stupid as to divide his or her attention between the road and the sound of someone else's voice when driving on a public or interstate road. Anyone who does this and suffers any damages or losses, personal or otherwise, have nothing and no one to blame but themselves.