• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The continuing saga of Niksons 1402 IMP sn 129

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Last edited:

Nate b

The craftsman ship and abilities you have are phenomenal. Absolutely enjoy reading and seeing the work you are doing.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The craftsman ship and abilities you have are phenomenal. Absolutely enjoy reading and seeing the work you are doing.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I'm sure you are ready for it to end, but I think the rest of us are going to be sad about it! I really do enjoy seeing these updates and your solutions to the problems. After this, you are going to need to find another one to go thru to keep us entertained! :yum:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the compliments. It has been fun posting the progress on this project. I don't know about doing another one but I plan to continue to post our adventures with it. I hope to haul it to its new home in Eastern Washington in a few weeks. if everything works out, I would like to go to the Snowcat Jamboree in Leavenworth Washington in January.

I hope to get back to work on the airplane soon. I think it is feeling neglected after 5 months. :sad:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
When I rewired the cat I reused the fuse block that was in it. (first picture) The problem was it was too big and only had a single buss. It was kind of in the way down on the floor panel. So I took it out and replaced it with two 6 circuit fuse blocks I got on Amazon.com for about 5 bucks apiece. I divided them into a battery buss, accessory buss and ignition buss. The floor is now clear.

Sometimes you have to do it wrong to know how to do it right.

ON (IGN): Ignition, fuel pump

ACCY: Wipers, search light, gauges, intercom, winch, 12 volt outlet

BATT: High beam and low beam, fog and back up lights, dome lights, fan

The battery buss is hot all the time. The Accessory buss is hot when the key is in ACCY and ON but off while cranking. The Ignition buss is hot with the key in ON and while cranking but off when in ACCY.

Attachments

• DSCF3285.jpg
    DSCF3285.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 644
  • DSCF2979.jpg
    DSCF2979.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 643
  • DSCF3287.jpg
    DSCF3287.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 645
Great job!!

This cat was a neat concept when you bought it but you have done a wonderful job completing the project. Your engine shroud looks great! I hope that it is the cure. Watching Nixons videos it was quite apparent that the cab got awful warm when running. It is always fun to watch these projects unfold and see the quality of the workmanship that members here have.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks! The little bit I have driven it the cab has been way cooler inside. I hope it will be warm enough in the winter. I can always add some more vents if I have to.
We're used to going to our cabin on snowmobiles so just being in an enclosed cab will be an improvement.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Finished up the steering cylinders today. The final honing and polishing was done on the lathe.

Attachments

• DSCF3288.jpg
    DSCF3288.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 611
  • DSCF3292.jpg
    DSCF3292.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 605
  • DSCF3290.jpg
    DSCF3290.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 610
  • DSCF3293.jpg
    DSCF3293.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 611
  • DSCF3294.jpg
    DSCF3294.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCF3295.jpg
    DSCF3295.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 610

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
One of the steering brake master cylinders was leaking. I had planned to rebuild them but after disassembly found them both to be unsalvageable. The bores on both were very badly corroded. Fortunately, I found two new Wagner PN MC 36313 master cylinders on eBay for $80 each. The castings were a little different than the original but I was able to mill them to accommodate the steering levers. The webbing on top of the unit interferes with the lower part of the steering lever and must be narrowed to clear it.

I want to thank all of the people who have done this before and posted the part numbers and sources for these hard to find parts. I would still be trying to figure this out if it weren't for this forum.

Now I just have to fill it with fluid and bleed the system. Just a couple of small details left and it is DONE! :letitsnow:

Attachments

• DSCF3298.jpg
    DSCF3298.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 614
  • DSCF3299.jpg
    DSCF3299.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 612
  • DSCF3300.jpg
    DSCF3300.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 611

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks NIK. Had it not been for the great work you already did, I probably would not have undertaken this. You designed one of the best looking cats around, (IMHO) and your documentation of the rebuild gave me confidence that it would be a good buy.
I can't wait to see what your next project will be.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I got the brakes filled with fluid this morning, and they work great. Nice and solid. Got everything buttoned up, then I started going into snowcat withdrawal. What do I do now? So I put in a cup holder to ease the letdown.

Attachments

• DSCF3301.jpg
    DSCF3301.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 738
  • DSCF3302.jpg
    DSCF3302.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 735

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Pictures of the completed project.

:snow_smi:

Attachments

• DSCF3307.jpg
    DSCF3307.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 741
  • DSCF3310.jpg
    DSCF3310.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCF3311.jpg
    DSCF3311.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 784
  • DSCF3306.jpg
    DSCF3306.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 744
  • DSCF3312.jpg
    DSCF3312.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 741
  • DSCF3314.jpg
    DSCF3314.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 734

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I drove the cat about a mile today in hot weather up the airport taxiway and back. Everything worked good. The cab did not get much above ambient temperature with the hot air vents closed. With them open there is a good amount of hot air for defrost and cabin heat. With the engine running, the air box barely gets warm. It gets hot when you shut the engine down from radiant and convective heat but you can still lay your hand on it. In cold weather I think it will be just right.

I pulled off the engine cover to give every thing a good look and retorque the manifold nuts. It should be good to go!

How long till winter???

Last edited:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Had some free time so built a cargo sled for the cat. It is dimensioned to be able to carry 3 Rubbermaid 18 gallon containers. I didn't want to make it too big for weight and storage reasons.

Now we can carry even more crap to the cabin.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Forgot the pictures of the sled.

Attachments

• DSCF3318.jpg
    DSCF3318.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 657
  • DSCF3316.jpg
    DSCF3316.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 649
  • DSCF3315.jpg
    DSCF3315.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 657
  • DSCF3317.jpg
    DSCF3317.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 661

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
t problems I see is you should have put a swivel into the hitch or used a conventional pintle hitch and your ski stance is kind of narrow. craftsmanship is however a-1

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
There is enough play in the hitch to tilt over 45 degrees each way. The sled will be used on a road that is mostly packed snow from other cats and snowmobiles, so I'm not too worried about that aspect since my cat travels at a blistering 15 mph (or less). A pintle hitch would be just too big for the size of the sled.

Indoor storage considerations dictated the width. I've also got a Harbor Freight receiver platform that we can use too, but that adds weight to the cat chassis.

Last edited:
Very nice!!! This cat looks great and even better is that fact that it is functional. Great job it is really fun to see these projects come together.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
what will happen is your sled will track in the cat tracks and will tip some. are you skis the same as your track width?
jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
for what he is using it for I believe it will work fine but being used in my conditions over un improved trails or broken up sea ice it would take a beating the old folda sleads were only good for about a year around here

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The skis are the same width as the inner edges of the track. It should ride straddling the high point made by the rear end. I used to tow one like this behind a snowmobile. It worked ok but took a beating due to the faster speeds. I now use a plastic tub type for the snowmobiles.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Heading down to the sand dunes in Coos Bay for a week or so. I built several dune buggies 20 years ago and still have 2. They have an 18 hp v-twin Vanguard engine, torque converter drive, rack and pinion steering, 5.17 Dana differential and independent suspension. This is my wife's favorite sport. The fuel tank is made from two 1 gallon stainless steel salad dressing pots from a restaurant supply welded end to end. Kitchen supply stores have all kinds of cool stainless stuff you can make into something useful. I once made a turbine exhaust adapter from an asparagus steamer.

Activities that do not include an internal combustion engine are not really a sport, just exercise.

Attachments

• DSCF2542.jpg
    DSCF2542.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 604
  • DSCF1626.jpg
    DSCF1626.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 602
  • DSCF1624.jpg
    DSCF1624.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 649

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that's cool I should put one of those together for my little boy who loved kirk's go cart so much

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
In an earlier post I talked about installing an engine fire suppression system. The engine on my cat is very tightly cowled and would pose a serious problem should a fire develop inside. I have a 2.5 lb remote Halon fire bottle but I decided that would be overkill. (Plus, they are expensive and can only be used for whatever they are plumbed to. I had plans to use it on my new plane which would be a more effective use.) The total volume of the engine compartment on this cat is very small. I also had a 1-1/4 lb Amerex Halon unit so I mounted it up over the windshield. In order to access the engine compartment, I made a receiver that mounts on the angled part of the air duct. It is about .875 diameter and about 1" long. One end is threaded 7/16-20 to fit the union. The other end is bored about .005" larger than the outside diameter of the extinguisher nozzle. I then bored an o-ring groove in it for an MS29512-014 o-ring. The groove is bored just deep enough radially to provide about a .010 squeeze on the extinguisher nozzle when it is inserted into the receiver. This prevents any Halon leakage into the cab. I used an AN 815-4d union to connect the receiver through the cover and to a 1/4 stainless tube and AN818-4J coupling nut and sleeve on the inside. The tube is bent to direct Halon into the carburetor area which is the most likely fire point. 1.25 lb of Halon is enough to flood the engine compartment and the tunnel. The initial discharge pressure of a Halon extinguisher is 125 psi.

This setup has the advantage of allowing the extinguisher to be used elsewhere if needed.

The best buy on a 1-1/4 lb Halon extinguisher is from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ps/fire_13/a344t.php This is an H3R A344T unit which is identical to the Amerex unit I have, and lists for $107.95. Amerex units are listed on ebay for $125.

About Halon: This is the best fire fighting agent known so naturally the EPA would outlaw it due to its ozone depleting properties. It has been illegal to make since 1998. All Halon available now is recycled and has gotten more expensive but can still be purchased in newly manufactured extinguishers. Halon 1211 is discharged as a liquid but turns to a gas rapidly. It is mainly used in handheld units so it can be directed at a fire. Halon 1301 is stored as a high pressure gas and is used in aircraft engine compartments and other enclosed applications.

I have always used Halon 1211 in my hangar and planes.

Halon agents extinguish a fire by interrupting the chain reaction between the fuel and oxidizer. This makes them very quick and effective. Other agents such a dry chemical or Co2 only remove the oxygen and are cheaper but less effective. Dry chem does not lend itself to enclosed spaces like engine cowls. Halon also has the advantage of not damaging your equipment once the fire is out. It just evaporates. (Into the Ozone layer I guess)

There is a Halon substitute available called Halotron 1. It can be manufactured until 2020, is a little cheaper but from what I have read, it is about half as effective as Halon 1211 but still better than dry chem. (sodium or potassium bicarbonate)

This would be a very inexpensive and effective fire suppression setup for any of the 1402, 1404 or 1450 Thiokol's and LMC's or any cat with the engine in the cab.

I was planning on taking the cat to it's new home this week but I had a problem with my defroster vents. They were a little too close to the exhaust manifold and melted. (Plastic) So I am going to use a Peterbuilt Semi-truck cab side air vent (all steel) mounted on top of the cowling. I'm waiting for the parts and will have a post about it when I get it done.

Attachments

• DSCF3351.jpg
    DSCF3351.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 544
  • DSCF3365.jpg
    DSCF3365.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 555
  • DSCF3364.jpg
    DSCF3364.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 547
  • DSCF3353.jpg
    DSCF3353.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 547
  • DSCF3348.jpg
    DSCF3348.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 550
  • DSCF3346.jpg
    DSCF3346.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 548
  • DSCF3344.jpg
    DSCF3344.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 543
  • DSCF3339.jpg
    DSCF3339.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCF3361.jpg
    DSCF3361.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the petrol powered bv 206's have a hole in the dog house like that with a little sticker over it you just shove the nozzle through the sticker and pull the trigger. I too like halon it also makes a killer degreaser. as an alternative I'm happy with co2, co2 has an advantage with diesel engines in that it will shut down a run away where as halon will react in high heat and pressure and create phosgene, a popular chemical weapon during ww2.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I took the cat up on the taxiway the other day for a little test flight. To my dismay I discovered that the plastic defrost vents I put in the front of the engine cowling MELTED! :shock: A little too close to the manifold I think. Good thing I found this out before I took it over to the mountains. So I made a couple of covers for the holes and found a horse trailer vent on ebay that is all metal. I like this better anyway because it will deliver much more air right onto the windshield and is fully adjustable from zero to a lot. It can also be opened the other way to blow hot air into the rear cab. Another advantage is that after engine shutdown, I can open it to vent hot air out of the engine cowl as this is the high point of the cowl. The engine can then cool more effectively through convective flow. This is the same type vent that Nikson used on the front of the cab for fresh air.
I modified the vent with a lever so it can be opened from the top.

The current plan is to take the cat to our cabin on Friday the 18th. We have already had a little snow.

Attachments

• DSCF3233.jpg
    DSCF3233.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCF0030.jpg
    DSCF0030.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg