• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

muskeg axle issues

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ok I know there are a few muskeg owners out there I have a 68 in the back yard for repair. it makes a bad noise while turning right, I pulled axles to find the long stud on the left hand side is broken. question one is can I run a rod through the right side to push the axle out and question 2 is what does that stud do I'm guessing it just holds the ale in place

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I assume you have an older muskeg without the final drive.You should be able to use a rod or bar and drive the other axle out thru the differential. The rods are to hold the axle in, and also pull them out. You probably have a axle drive gear with broken teeth.

My 72 Muskeg was making an awful noise when It turned right. I was hoping that it was an axle or in the drop box, but it turned out to be a gear inside the rear end. the good news is Prinoth had the gear in Granby and I had it two days later. It was $373.00 plus shipping. Loggah said that it was the gear and he was right.
View attachment 83173
If you take it apart, make sure to note the marks on the gears and their position.

Attachments

• bd2bd2c6a0307edae3b099eda6c965ad.jpg
    bd2bd2c6a0307edae3b099eda6c965ad.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 173

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
im thinking the noise is coming from the axle moving around. Brad thought it might have been a broken axle which is why I was pulling the axles I will not rule out a problem in the chunk, but I still need to verify the axles are good. I have no drawings and was hoping there was no pin dividing left and right axles. I will grab a piece of conduit tonight and push the other axle out and inspect it. as I know so little about the muskeg system I'm now relying you all for info as what is going on. I might add this is an s carrier so just popping the top to look in and see what is going on is easier said than done

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
My 72 Muskeg was making an awful noise when It turned right. I was hoping that it was an axle or in the drop box, but it turned out to be a gear inside the rear end. the good news is Prinoth had the gear in Granby and I had it two days later. It was $373.00 plus shipping. Loggah said that it was the gear and he was right.
View attachment 83173
If you take it apart, make sure to note the marks on the gears and their position.
I hope you are wrong this one is a s carrier and a real sob to pull the top off of did you have any residue in the bottom I fished around with a magnet a little bit looking for parts nothing came out but its a pretty big housing to

groomertech

If your muskeg has drop down gears to the sprockets you will not be able to to push it through. If it is a broken axle you most likely not be able to steer in one direction. I think trail builder is correct. This is a common issue on the old carriers. If you have a questions ask away. I worked on a lot of these gems. Diff parts are available but costly so if you do get in there make sure to take your time and repair it correctly. Also use high quality fluid.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
muskegs are the one rig that I haven't got to do much other than look at and yes it is the older direct drive model.