• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

my new BR100+

labradorshooter

Hello all my name is Joey, I'm a Canadian from Labrador that spends a fair bit of time in the woods, hunting, camping , fishing and target shooting ( hence my username) and when I'm not in the woods I'm in my garage building something. I have been reading on this site for a few years now and I actually was planning to build a snowcat this winter after I finish my 1975 cummins powered F250 flatbed build. but I ended up picking up this 1989 BR100+ for cheaper then I could build a cat. originally it was bought by the hydroelectric company in my province, CFLco , they used it to travel the powerline during our long cold winters. but with age and the fact they use helicopters now ment the BR went up on auction, a few years later here we are with it on my lawn.

overall it was in good shape when I got it with just shy of 1700 hrs, previous owner who only had it for the summer did most of the work including foam filling the two front tires and two rear most tires, new ring gear, new starter, some bodywork which I redid, new seals and bearings in all wheels, new side axle seals and a new battery.

what I did was cut off the hacked up bumper and plow someone welded on, change the faulty new starter which was under warranty, redid the bodywork that was already done plus some more, painted it, fixed the mixed up trans and diff cooler lines from when the engine was pulled to change the ring gear ( PO had a line from each going to both coolers which resulted in the trans pumping all its oil into the diff) changed the headlights to halogen, added a 20" led light to the front, two 4" led lights on the back, a 2" receiver hitch tube, new beacon light hardwired in , new backup alarm, and I cleaned up some wiring and done some other tune up's / odds and ends.

body filler was all cracked up, grinded it back to good adhesion and refilled.

I hate these battery terminals so I soldered on a real one.

hitch welded on.

added in the beacon light switch and the unmarked switch is for the LED work lights.

new LED beacon and the antenna for the stereo.

reassembled and the black repainted.

you can see the front light bar here.

out for a test ride.

you can see the two rear facing 4" ligths on the roof.

labradorshooter

Thanks 300 h And h, I planned to finally sign up when I bought the cat 2 months ago but I was that excited I just went right to it and started wrenching on it so it was ready for the snow. There's still some work I want to do do I'll be sure and post as I go for that!

labradorshooter

I have some questions that hopefully someone will know the answers to.

1. my sending unit for the temp gauge is bad and I would like to keep the factory gauge, anyone know of a replacement sending unit or the ohm range it operated in so I can look for a replacement.

2. anyone have a part number for the air filter element or know the original application for the GM housing

3. how are the heater hoses suposed to be ran on the engine, I get very little heat in the cab. the hoses are only luke warm in the cab when the engine is at full temp. I found a picture of a br100+ that travcam posted in 2011 and in his pictures the hoses on the left side of the engine both look to go to the cab, while only one of mine does and the other goes the intake manifold. my intake has 2 hoses because of this, while his only has 1 hose going to the front port. I'm not sure where his front hose from the manifold would go but mine goes to the heatercore. here is the link to that thread http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=45105

here is how mine is ran.

hose from waterpump goes to the cab.

here you can see the line loping over to the intake, the red hose from intake goes to the heatercore.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that hose to the intake is a pre heater I would install a new thermostat right off than verify you are getting flow through your heater core. I'm here to warn you if there are 2 things I don't like about bombies it's the screaming differential and the fact in the ones I have had the honor to ride in or drive in the heaters really suck compared to the other brands I have been in. I believe a larger heater core better fan and a good t-stat would have fixed the problems in the ones I had seen.

labradorshooter

Today my order came in consisting of a new 4.27:1 ring and pinion and some gauges, a new temp gauge to replace the non working one , as well as an oil pressure gauge and a transmission temp gauge as additions.

First thing I noticed was the gauges dont use a standard snap in socket like the stock gauges, plenty of room inside so I drilled out the housing to use the stock light.

then it was installed as a replacement, sensor was replaced to but no pictures of that as there was nothing different to see.

Next I riveted the gauge bracket to the dash, and wired up the trans temp gauge and the back-light for the oil pressure gauge. sending unit is not install yet for the temp gauge as I need to buy some fittings tomorrow, same story on the oil pressure gauge.

gauges in and lit up, stock ones are lit to there just not nearly as bright.

the inspector sat in his seat the whole time I worked.

I never found myself actually using the grips, always pulling on the vertical part of the lever. Guess its where I'm used to dozers with that style steering levers and the fact I usually only steer with one hand , with that and the fact the left grip blocks my vision of the tach to make sure I'm not passing 4500RPM I decided to cut the levers.

when I do the ring and pinion I might pull the levers out and bend them just below the grips so they are vertical.

labradorshooter

started to change out the ring and pinion this weekend, ran into a few problems tho.

tracks separated and the axle's/ planetary's pulled from chassis.

next was to pull the steering bands, they didn't look so good!

after pulling the diff out and dissembling one side to get the ring gear off I found more bad luck. on both sides the gears that drive the axle shaft are missing teeth. so tomorrow I will have to try and order 2 gears and a set of steering bands from somewhere.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I can see the ring and pinion look OK...

Be sure you understand how to reassemble the chunk with the timing marks in the correct position. Very important..

Good luck..

Regards, Kirk

labradorshooter

The ring and pinion is actually fine I'm just swapping out the 5.89 gear ratio for a 4.27 ratio, 90% of what this cat will be used for is transportation and I need a little more speed. The 4.27 gears will give a speed of about 30kph compared to the 22kph I get now. With the planatarys in the br100's and 4.27 gears my overall ratio will be 6.49:1 which is still lower then a bombi's 5.89:1 ratio and the 2.3L engine in the br100+ vs the 1.6L of the bombi's and regular br100's should give me a good balance of speed and power. At least I sure hope so because I don't want to have to change this ring and pinion again anytime soon!

snowcatt

I put 427 gears in my Bombi I love them I can do over 30 MPH But when you put the pinion inner bearing in take out all the shims and even grind a bit off the corner off the gear .what happens is the pinion gear hits the aluminum part of the carrier .when I put it together it was close but I guess it flexes a bit and i could hear this weird noise. When i pulled the top off i had a bunch of marks in the aluminum . And like the guy said make sure you time the gears mine is all keyways facing inward .
Good luck and have fun

snowcatt

Thats weird how those gears are chipped. Did it do any damage to the pinion gears shafts Do you have a parts book ? the bombi Gear # is 608 0127 00 if its the same call Prinoth in Quebec
Or MN out doors . Hows your outer planetary gears i was told there harder to find

labradorshooter

All other gears are perfect, I called prinoth today and I'm not sure if the parts guy was looking at the right gear or not but he said they are obsolete. Number he said was 608 0277 00. He also said the steering bands are $400 per side and they only have 1 side in stock. Going to call MN outdoors tomorrow and see what they have.

snowcatt

I thought they had the same diff . maybe i was wrong .I got my bands relined at West trans.Here in Winnipeg Any brake and clutch place should reline them make sure you tell them they run in oil it cost me $350 for both sides .I know some gears are Obsolete on the BR100 plus I thought it was the outer planetary .Is there a # on the gear ? and measure it .Im pulling a bombi diff apart on Wed Ill measure the one in there and see if they have #s

snowcatt

Shooter the little gears not the onoes you need do they say G 679 and the pinion shafts do they have 127 and looks like 18 /80 on them just trying to see if it is the same diff
do you see any # s on the out side of the carrier

snowcatt

How are the shaft bushings it was either out of time or the bushings are shot to do that to the gears When diffs are out of time the gears try to climb each other . the bushings are made by Garlock and are a stocking item not pricey at all Wayax sells them

labradorshooter

snowcatt I think I am going to try your part number and call prinoth and see if they are available. its funny because the guy I bought the machine off of did some work on it over the summer for the few months he owned it and he replaced the 3 planet gears in the outer planetary which he got threw prinoth no problem.

I cant find any numbers on anything in the diff besides the carrier bearings and the ring&pinion. only thing I can see is S P casted into this part

the pinions seem to be in time on the side still together.

the gear I need is 45 tooth , 3.350" high , gear tooth width is .940" and the bearing surface's that ride in the bushing are 1.500" diameter

snowcatt

The guy is on his way here now with the bombi diff Ill measure the gears
what was the guys name you got the machine from . Because i have the guys name that was looking for parts and couldnt find them .maybe he put it back together and sold it

snowcatt

the guy never came snow storm.
he called and said the gear is around 3 3/8 OD and it says MT126 and 11/80 on them what size is the OD on the 6 pinion shafts ?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We do have new and used axle gears in stock if needed
We also reline the BR100+ 250.00 for both bands if you send us yours to reline

Last edited:

labradorshooter

Figured I would update everyone, Thanks to the help of MNoutdoors we found out that it seems the BR100 and bombi uses a different diff, at least the later br100's anyways. my side axle gear is 45 tooth, the bombi's are 30 tooth. my pinion gears are 13 tooth while the bombi is 9 tooth. it does seem like I can change over both my side axle gears and all 6 pinion's over to the bombi era setup if I cant find a set of 45 tooth side axle gears. I just ordered a manual for an 89 BR100 which is the same year as my machine so hopefully soon I will have some part numbers to share and compare.

labradorshooter

well yesterday I received my parts from mn outdoors as well as my parts book I found on ebay.

I compared part numbers and the only things different are the side axle and pinion gears
older diff uses the 30 tooth side axle gear 608 0126 00 and 9 tooth pinions 608 0127 00.
newer diff uses a 45 tooth side axle gear 608 0277 00 and 13 tooth pinions 608 0276 00

I also found a source for my side axle gears today. plannord equipment in Quebec had 8 in stock so I had them ship 2 my way. when they get here I will push the br100 back into the shop and get everything back together. I wasn't sure how long it would take to find the gears so it got the pull of shame from my old loader.

labradorshooter

Gears showed up today, to bad today I start my week of night shifts so I wont have much time to work on the cat this week. going to try and get it pushed back into the shop at least so it can warm up and thaw out.

12523038_10153169530076946_3678032338391899602_n.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
lucky you my band came back from anchorage today my cat is sitting about 3 miles out of town I have to fix it where it is in some of the coldest weather of the year yet

labradorshooter

if it makes you feel better I have to pull the transmission out of my big loader sometime soon which will be done outside and its been around -30C here lately when the wind picks up.

labradorshooter

my photo bucket account did not like me the last few weeks so I couldnt post pics as I went so here they are all at once, I just got the cat back on the snow at 11:30 tonight.

pushed back into the shop.

new 4.27 gears

assembling the diff.

pulling old pinion.

pressing bearing on new pinion.

used a flap wheel to trim the new pinion.

close but enough clearance.

changing sprockets.

relined the steering bands. A pin punch in a vice and a transfer punch in hand works well the set the rivets, A 3rd hand from a friend would of made it a lot easier but it can be done by 1 person.

and here is what I done today. put the tracks back on.

fully assembled.

out for a test drive, new sprockets are noticeably quieter then the old, the new bands and the to-4 oil made turning MUCH better, the diff is a lot quieter now, and the speed is a lot better.

and last of all today I whipped up a hitch to tow snowmobile sleighs.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Your old sprockets looked to be monothane,which was used by some small company's for a while because is was easy to hand mix.the sprockets you have now are true polyurethane,and a different durometer.bet it good to be back on the snow.

snowcatt

Hi Bud
Nice to see you got it going .Hows it for power with the new gears ?
I just finished putting 427 s in the Bombi i extended haven't driven it yet
But i have the same gears in my Bombi and I love it
Take Care and Have fun

labradorshooter

MNoutdoors, the old sprockets had Bombardier written in them, not sure if they were actual bombardier sprockets or the lettering was Carried over from using one as a pattern for a mold. either way the sprockets I got from you guys is much better then my old ones.

snowcatt, the power with the new gears is still pretty good. I can defiantly notice the higher gears but it is still very usable in my application. I will hopefully find out how it tow's in a few days, my cousin is back in town and wants to get his 1980 gmc truck back on the road which is currently behind my uncles house snowed in, where its been all winter. he only lives directly across the street from me so rather then him do a lot of snow clearing I offered to try and pull it out with the BR.