• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Well, Obama policy got me .........

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As most of you know I've worked in fossil (coal, gas, oil) power generation pretty much all my life. The Obama green energy initiatives and EPA mandates finally got me. I was laid off on May 25th due to lack of work and my salary was a prime pick to reduce the bottom line. Power companies just aren't spending money especially in performance management which I specialize. Got a decent severance but I'm now on the dole.

Ever since we paid my youngest son's last tuition payment 2 years ago with thoughts of Cheryl and I padding our nest egg, it has been a barrage of sucker punches. Two weeks after making that tuition payment Cheryl got laid off and went 15 months until finding work again. Somewhat of a blessing since she was able to take care of my Mom before she passed.

Just when she gets back to work and we start our saving again, I get laid off 3 months later. It's always been like that for us, just when we think we'll get ahead something happens. I've got a few opportunities but I'm gonna sit on my ass and do a little dirt work until something falls my way. No need to feel bad for us we'll be fine just seems like since Obama got in office we've been feeling some of the pains America is feeling now.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to here Dawg and i hope something turns around for you soon. :flowers: You are not alone though, the last year and a half has really kicked our butts as well, i wasn't near as prepared as i thought i was. :doh:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell even trying to have a little fun while being off turns to shit. I was out riding the Harley Tuesday afternoon and a deer jumped out in front of me. I didn't go down but the bike needs a new front fender and I'm pretty sure that doe has a sore ass.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell even trying to have a little fun while being off turns to shit. I was out riding the Harley Tuesday afternoon and a deer jumped out in front of me. I didn't go down but the bike needs a new front fender and I'm pretty sure that doe has a sore ass.
That does suck, but better the doe having a sore ass then you. :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Dog. About the only jobs up here are gas well related and that just took a kick in the ass when they shut down water hauling since the streams are so low. Lot of drivers getting laid off this week till we get some rain.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I lost my job back in 2001, so I know what you're going through. If there is any silver lining in this dark cloud (can't say black cloud because some libertard will accuse me of being a racist), it's that as the economy worsens, we can hope it makes Barry look worse than he already does, and hurt his chances of reelection. If he gets a second term, we might as well put ourselves out of our misery right then and there.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That sucks dog...

Still see lots of coal going by on rail to the East, but I suppose that is throttled back as well. Any natural gas plants out your way that are new or being built? Maybe just keeping your eyes open and setting a bit will find you what your looking for. It's been known to work...

I wish the best of luck and preparedness on this.

Regards, Kirk

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is still coal country and yeah lots of gas but right now no real way to convey it until they improve infrastructure. I've been offered some lucrative work but it requires relo/lots of travel which ain't in the cards at this time. I do have an interview next Tuesday at nice station 30 minutes from the house so we'll see.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear this Dawg.

This whole economy really sucks. I am an independent computer consultant in NYC. My billing for this year is one quarter what it used to be and my wife got downsized a year and a half ago. No work for her yet.

I hope the interview works out for you and yours.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's been slow for me too this year. I went a few months without any income coming in.

It's hard to enjoy the downtime when you don't have income. I hope you can find another job soon or get the dirt work business to take up the slack.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sorry to hear this Dawg. I hope things turn around for you soon and this is just a temporary set back.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Greg, keep your chin up and be thankful that you have actual skills, too many in today's economy have nothing but good looks and 6 years of attempting to finish college to fall back on. You are a known entity in your field with a track record. You'll be back on your feet in no time. Not so sure about the deer.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like you still have a good attitude. That is the biggest part of the battle. Keep your chin up and your guard up. :biggrin:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn Dawg. :eek: Sorry to hear all that. Like Bob said, with your talents you won't be out of work long. Or, like JoeV, this may be a really good thing and set you up in your own business with dirt and gravel work. Either way I'm sure this won't have you down for long. The cream rises to the top, no matter what.
All the best buddy. Don't hesitate to let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help out. Cheers. :beer:

RedRocker

Good luck today! All this "Green" crap is such bullshit! There's nothing "green" about turning corn in to fuel or any of the other feel good illusions.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Red! I got a call yesterday from a company that wants me to head up a new training division as their manager. It's a lucrative offer but does include a lot of travel. The opportunities are developing!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Obummer's policies have my company in irons at the moment. I feel your pain.

Bon Chance today Big Dog.

Tweeker

Sorry for your hard times, as I am sure you know, Big dog, this Green Initiatve S++T is just that.
Fancy ideas thought up by idiot engineers who think you can power industry with solar. :yum:
They have no real idea how much energy it takes to forge steel, or melt aluminum on an industrial scale, they cannot see the use of energy beyond lighting a damn light bulb.
When this country does get back to work, and it will be soon, we are going to need experienced people like yourself to teach these young pups how to get it done. :smile:
Tweeker

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Local interview went very well, won't hear anything on that until later in the month. I fly out next week for an interview/negotiations for a large services EPC that wants to initiate a new Training Division. I've had the phone interview and it appears they want me very much to head up the division. It would be a lot of travel. I'm hoping to get offers close to the same time to weigh the options. Local work would be a little cut which is no problem but the EPC is going to be very lucrative. It will be more about the level of control, design, and process I will have, then of course financial enough to make it worth the attention!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to admit, I would relish establishing an organization that would be a direct competitor to the one that let me go over a few dollars ............. :wink:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems good money always involves travel or a long commute. Good luck on either one.:clap:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to admit, I would relish establishing an organization that would be a direct competitor to the one that let me go over a few dollars ............. :wink:

That sounds like it would be a satisfying position!

If that doesn't work out I hear Muleman is in need of a porcupine wrangler. :whistling:

Jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck BD. A lot of times these forced changes work to our advantage. I have every confidence that you and yours will be OK. A good person with marketable skills doesn't usually sit around too long.

You know, I've seen a few companies over the years decide to cut payroll by getting rid of, one way or another, their older, more experienced, expensive people at the top and filling the spaces by hiring younger, less experienced people at the bottom. Only in one case have I seen it be anything other than a failure. When the company that I worked for tried it in one division I swear it took 3 years and cost them millions of dollars to get back to where they were before. Experience not only teaches you when to do the right thing, it also teaches you when not to do the wrong thing. Relearning that lesson as a company can cost you.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Update ..............

Well it got to the point that we had to start diving into reserves (savings). My wife's contract ended in September and we both found ourselves without work. I never fretted, I always believed that something would break. We're not that comfortable that I don't ever have to work again.

I ended up expanding our little LLC and took out some consulting/professional liability insurance and sent some feelers out to some ex-clients. Then my wife got a permanent position with the company she was doing contract work, good things start!

Three weeks ago I got a call from my biggest ex-client (Luminant Generation), they wanted a proposal for a instruction job to be completed this week. They accepted and I got the small 64 hour job, I just got back. I also won a standing one year IC contract with them and I'm scheduled for steady work as an adjunct industry "professor" at Tyler Junior College in Tyler, TX for the first quarter of 2013. I'll be able to travel at will, so I'll come home every couple weeks. Work after the winter session includes development and edits to Luminant curriculum's that I'll be able to do from home until the fall session ............ :wink:

Luminant Academy is booming, not only are they busy with employee training but they are now true partners with TJC. They have setup a 2 year AD curriculum for power plant studies and are awarding scholarships to high school seniors. Next step is to help other utilities and help train their employees. I hope to be in for a good run!

Notice the author of the link below ....... :biggrin:

Luminant Academy: Alliances Deliver Results

Where u at ETF???