• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier BR100+

TravCam

I recently came to posses a Bombardier BR100+ that best I can tell from paperwork was made in 1987 1988 timeframe. It has the gasoline Ford 4 cyl engine.
It's been in storage for years with little more than 100 hours on it.
The last time it was serviced was 1999. It has some tires that are in need of replacement and air. But no dry rot. I'm very amazed at how good it looks for sitting so long.

So my question is, is there anything additional with this model that I need to pay particular attention to? I'm going to drain all the fluids and change the filters, check/replace belts/hoses , etc as anyone would do with something that's sat for a while.

I'd also like to investigate putting a snow blade on this. Is there a current option for this out there?

brianf

if it has automatic trans and 2.3 it is a 100+, manual and a 1.6 it is reg br100
tires are cheap to buy, sprockets are very resonable also, the only real expensive parts are the diff and tracks, rest is mainly automotive parts available at local parts store
the wider tracks make machine desirable and expensive, if it has alum grousers or wide steel tracks 28 inch and the price it right buy it, you can always sell the machine if it does not work for your purpose

depends on overall shape of machine a rough one may be under $5000 but I have seen them sell up to and over 15000 for a real nice machine, you can put a blade on but they are fairly light machines and will take a little time to master pushing snow

TravCam

Thanks for all the responses so far!

It does have the automatic transmission and is a 2.3... best i can tell.

Here are some pictures.
Pocatalico-20110204-00139.jpg

Pocatalico-20110204-00138.jpg

Scott-20110207-00141.jpg

Scott-20110207-00142.jpg

Scott-20110207-00143.jpg

This was originally purchased by the "long lines" folks - We (mobility) plan on using this to access some of our remote tower sites in bad snow. The initial thought was to clear the road on the way in with a blade on this thing. Is it worth it? Or should I just go with the mentality that if I need a truck there, I should just go ahead and have the road cleared by dozer?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
having used a 966 to clear the road to the wind farm i would suggest getting a dozer 5 t 6 feet of hard packed wind blown snow can be like moving dried cement.

ben2go

That's great.Nice unit you got there.I don't recognise that air cleaner,but the 2.3 liter Lima was used in many Ford,Mercury,and Lincoln products.Mostly in base models.Going by the shifter it appears to have an AOD transmission,but it's blurry so I maybe wrong.

Here's some engine info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima_Engine
This is the progression of the Lima engine from it's birth in the 70's to it's death in 2001.I have one of the last 2.5 liter Limas made.It's in my Ford Ranger pick up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine

There are so many transmissions used behind the Lima engines that it would be hard to post it all here.A little more info on the tranny is need before I can pin down the correct info.

Oh yeah.That sign on the side isn't for the phone company.It's the initials for Altitude Truck and Transport. :clap:

brianf

that is a br100+ with the 28 inch steel tracks, looks to be in good shape, if the price is right buy it and put on a blade, great little machine to work with, simple and if you find you do not use it enough , this machine is in demand and will sell fairly easy,
my guess is that there is probally a bunch of people searching around trying to find out were machine is to buy it before you decide to go ahead and buy it

brianf

that is a br100+ with the 28 inch steel tracks, looks to be in good shape, if the price is right buy it and put on a blade, great little machine to work with, simple and if you find you do not use it enough , this machine is in demand and will sell fairly easy
split the tracks check the wheel bearings and sprocket bearings, look at where susp attaches to frame for cracks, drain the diff oil check for any water if any comes out pull off the diff cover to check gears, check the breather on front diff this will some times allow water to get into diff
I usally park my machines with the front end up higher than back so water will not collect on top of diff cover and get in,
great little machine to have fun with

The BR100+ is the best of the "Bombi" series to have because of the increased HP and the auto transmission. You have a nice find there and it is a great all around snowcat. As far as plowing a road it will do it but wouldn't be my first choice. Depending on the snow depth and steepness I would go with the dozer or loader first. There was a factory plow available but finding one may be a little difficult.

I know others don't agree with me but if you do buy it I would stick with the Ford Industrial Parts that were meant for that engine. Avoid Napa Parts intended for the Pintos,Capris, Rangers etc. Quality and compatibility count when your miles from the road in the middle of the winter.

TravCam

Well, that's just it... It's not for sale! It was free!

I work for AT&T on the wireless side. The long lines folks had this thing in storage for years in a remote hub facility that is being decommissioned. I asked if they would transfer it to the wireless group and they did!

So far from what I can tell, a little TLC and my guys will have a greatly safer way to get to some of our worst winter sites - I especially like this because it's small enough for one or two folks to deploy.

twintracker3

I have a 1978 Bombi I think it is a BR100. Does anyone know where I can get an front diff axle shaft ? It is about 24 inches long. Thanks Dave

ben2go

I have a 1978 Bombi I think it is a BR100. Does anyone know where I can get an front diff axle shaft ? It is about 24 inches long. Thanks Dave

Start a thread about it will get more responses.We need more info.You got a data plate inside and there should be a plate or numbers on the axle housing.That info helps tell those that know,what exactly you have.

No real need to start a new thread, we are pretty flexible here.:smile: I doubt it is a BR100 if it was made in 1978. Easy to tell by the windows and spacing between the tires. If it looks identical to the above pictures then it is the BR100 but if it has smaller windows, especially noticeable on the doors then it is the Bombi. The Bombi wheel axels were much closer together too.

As far as getting an axel, one source is going to see if Prinoth has them in stock. They are the current owner of the Bombardier division that made the snowcats. Of course Boggie( Brad at www.mn-outdoors.com) is as good of a source of information and parts as it gets.

Welcome to the forum!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i have used a br 100 to tow my st home the day it swallowed a valve i wasn't too impressed with the way it pulled the load over the hill the lower track would dig in on a side hill while trying to get it to pull the load streight over the pass other than a harsh ride compaired to the snow trac the br 100 pulled nice and strong had good visiability just cramped and rough it did get the jub done which beat changing an engine 20 miles from town.

timandkim

wow free sno cat to play with its obvious i work in the wrong industry , congrats it looks like a good find you ll have lots of fun with it.....
Tim

old yeller

No real need to start a new thread, we are pretty flexible here.:smile: I doubt it is a BR100 if it was made in 1978. Easy to tell by the windows and spacing between the tires. If it looks identical to the above pictures then it is the BR100 but if it has smaller windows, especially noticeable on the doors then it is the Bombi. The Bombi wheel axels were much closer together too.

As far as getting an axel, one source is going to see if Prinoth has them in stock. They are the current owner of the Bombardier division that made the snowcats. Of course Boggie( Brad at www.mn-outdoors.com) is as good of a source of information and parts as it gets.

Welcome to the forum!

What he said :notworthy