• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

thiokol imp 1404

bower1

Thanks B_Skurka for the suggestion I have not been to this area of forms before.
The imp is a 1969 with the v4 motor and 2 shift levers I believe the fellow said it has about 12 speeds, is this standard ?
Being new to these machines I don't know much about them
The 12 mile run to cabin is on logging roads that are reasonably flat with hills of maybe 8 or 10 percent in areas.
We just bought the cabin this summer and have not been to it in winter
I was up to the end of plowed road about 1 month ago and there was about 3 to 4 feet of hard pack snow . people in area say they can get snow falls of 2 ft or more but most dumps are in the area of 1ft of very dry snow.
Getting back to machine, I think it is about 6ft wide and 10ft long
It has new steering brakebands, some new tires etc. tracks are in excellent condition. hope this info helps.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK just to sort of piece together your desires from a couple different posts, you are looking to buy a snowcat for cabin access.

Your cabin is 12 miles from your parking spot, you have logging road access and its reasonably flat terrain.

With what you have posted as your desires, I'd say you do not need a wide track machine for access. Wide track machines are well suited to off road use, when the snow is very light and very deep. Based on what you describe you probably are not facing those conditions.

I'm not very well versed on the 1404 so I will leave the discussion of specifics to other people, but I will toss out a few thoughts. First, double check the width of that snowcat. I would bet it is at least 7+' wide and maybe wider. I bring that up simply because most brands of snowcats will NOT fit in between the wheel wells of a standard car hauler trailer. Most require a bed over the tires type of trailer so that is something you need to consider while you are looking at snowcats. Just for informational/comparisions sake, my Snow Trac is 6'2" wide and fits on a standard trailer, but there are very few other snowcats that I know of that are narrow enough to fit.

By the way, one of our members was able to take the digitized manuals that I collected and he made them available for free download. You may want to follow this link, there are manuals here so you can look at the specs of various machines: http://www.goldcordmine.com/manuals/