• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

THIOKOL 601 RESTORE

K

kermit2

I have paddles on my 601 track. They appear to be factory. They are about 1 every 10 grousers. you can see one just under the spare tire carrier.

We have them on every 4th grouser on the bus. I will be changing those out this soon if we don't get any snow.

jask

Weatherby, that was a great read! my hat is off to you. I do have one question though, I noticed the hand crank keyhole in the front crossmember and cranknut on the front of the crank- did you ever find a crank? I can not imagine having to try to spin that thing over :whistling:

weatherby

Weatherby, that was a great read! my hat is off to you. I do have one question though, I noticed the hand crank keyhole in the front crossmember and cranknut on the front of the crank- did you ever find a crank? I can not imagine having to try to spin that thing over :whistling:

Nope, Never put much effort into trying to find the original style crank. The 223ci Ford motor is a fairly easy motor turn over, and if in good running condition , it probably would not take to much effort to hand-crank it to start:thumb:

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I know it's been a little wile but I have been working on the 601 and spending a lot of time on the internet & phone. I do have all my correct gages now including the tach. & new sending unit for the tach. Also been working on a lot of little stuff like the dome lights, wiper motors, front heater assy. etc. etc. I rebuilt the steering & clutch master cylinders. I was lucky and had no pits or rust in the cylinders, just gave them a good honing & installed a rebuild kits I'm hoping they don't leak. About 2 day's ago I turned my camera on to take some new pics. and the LCD screen wont come on, so I talked to SONY about it and they say it's a well known problem and they are fixing them for FREE INCLUDING THE SHIPPING but I do have to send it back, three weeks before I get it back. So if anybody has had a problem with there digital camera OR camcorder LCD screen becoming all black or just plain messed up, That also goes for some other makes of cameras as well because SONY makes those same components for some of the other makes and they will fix them for free also.

Did BigAl get the Go for it Canada sign from you ?

weatherby

Big hello to everybody:biggrin:
I'm not on here nearly as much as I used to be, but when I do stop by I'm on here for hours trying to catch up on posts and seeing all those familiar names and also all the new members...So I guess that makes me a "stalker" now:whistling:

I'm doing just fine "except for getting older every single day" and a few more aches n pains lol. I still look for snow-cats throughout my travels but have none of my own anymore.

I enjoy getting pm's and Emails from Forum members asking for help on anything related to my past 601 restore or just wanting to see whats up with me lately lol.

Thanks for checking in with me Davenet, Kristi Kt-4, and Snowtrac Nome :thumb:

weatherby

Big hello to everybody:biggrin:
I'm not on here nearly as much as I used to be, but when I do stop by I'm on here for hours trying to catch up on posts and seeing all those familiar names and also all the new members...So I guess that makes me a "stalker" now:whistling:

I'm doing just fine "except for getting older every single day" and a few more aches n pains lol. I still look for snow-cats throughout my travels but have none of my own anymore.

I enjoy getting pm's and Emails from Forum members asking for help on anything related to my past 601 restore or just wanting to see whats up with me lately lol.

Thanks for checking in with me Davenet, Kristi Kt-4, and Snowtrac Nome :thumb:

I would also like to add to this post that several months ago National Geographic contacted me in regards to a show that they are creating in Alaska about men working on all kinds of different big equipment, and one of there story's will be about a 601 Thiokol. To make a long story short, they will be using some of my video footage of the 601 that I restored. I was told just lately that it will only amount to about less than a minute of footage after editing. The program is supposed to air sometime in late 2016 and Im not sure what the title of the show will be yet, but they update me about every month or so.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great to see you back here. Getting older is a challenge. Thank you for all your help and advice.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I would also like to add to this post that several months ago National Geographic contacted me in regards to a show that they are creating in Alaska about men working on all kinds of different big equipment, and one of there story's will be about a 601 Thiokol. To make a long story short, they will be using some of my video footage of the 601 that I restored. I was told just lately that it will only amount to about less than a minute of footage after editing. The program is supposed to air sometime in late 2016 and Im not sure what the title of the show will be yet, but they update me about every month or so.
sounds like NG should get a hold of me as that's what I do weird mining stuff in the summer and flights to remote locations in the winter. Saturday I flew to teller to repair snow removal equipment and had to ride biker bitch on a snowmachine to get rom the airport to town because the roads are blocked

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

Awesome news Weatherby! Very cool to see more respect for your restore! Great to read you! :smile:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey if you are hard up for entertainment.... take a nice long drive over to Ironwood this coming weekend and take a couple rides in some vintage snow cats...
I would be happy to introduce you to the another KI sawyer 601 laying dormant in the wilds of the UP.. I can't get the price in line with reality but maybe some one of your celebrity could...
Please keep Posting the National Geographic info

Mike in WI

lorenzo

Wellllllll......it's been a LONG time coming but it's finally here..... the tracks are DONE and INSTALLED back on the 601..... and for the first time in about 22 years, it moved under it's own power. It is now about 95% complete, I still have some things that need to be done, but they are all small things, like painting the engine cowling & installing it, also install the seats and the lights and the beacon that go on the roof. There is still some lettering that has to be painted on, and install the spare military fuel cans on the back. I also received in the mail today, some very special pics.from another Fourms member WESLEY. He sent me pics of my 601 when he looked into buying it back about 15 or 16 years ago the same time I was trying to buy it, BUT I never took pics of it sitting ware it had been sitting for some years before I saw it for the first time back then, and always kicked myself for not taking those pics. But now I have them and they are very good color pics.thanks to WESLEY:thumb:

Nice Aluminum backer plates, Did you make those or are they available somewhere?

Attachments

• Image 9-7-17 at 8.42 PM.jpg
    Image 9-7-17 at 8.42 PM.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 292