• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

500 series Tucker axle nut size?

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Can anyone confirm what size the axle hub nut tool needs to be to remove my pontoon?

1969 Tucker 542 with 1 Ton International axles. I haven't been able to get a measurement and the part stores need to know if it has A/C or not......:doh:

I looked at some old international listings on Rock Auto. The old Scout calls for a 2-1/16" nut. Of course, none of the part stores seem to be able to order that size....

Any help would be appreciated.

4TrackCat

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think the 500 is a bit different. I have a nut on an early taper axle that uses and extension and it is 2" od. I also have tucker long axles that are 7/8-14 and uses 1 5/16 socket.

Attached is the parts breakdown for your rig. They have different part numbers across models but I would bet they are the same part on some items. I think #18 on the end of #13 is what your are after and would guess 1 5/16 for what appears to be that 7/8-14 thread on the extension.

Attachments

• IMG_7486.PNG
    IMG_7486.PNG
    594.7 KB · Views: 162

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Great parts list! Thanks

I'm actually looking at #9 and #11. These large nuts are what are keeping me from being able to remove the pontoon. The entire hub needs to come off of the axle while still inside the fiberglass pontoon and drive spool.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That nut looks closer to this one which is off and early taper axle hub extension . 2" socket.

If you have a harbor freight they have big sets cheap so you have some
Options. I try not to use their tools but the big stuff I use infrequently gets the job done!

Attachments

• IMG_7484.jpg
    IMG_7484.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7485.jpg
    IMG_7485.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 165

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can anyone confirm what size the axle hub nut tool needs to be to remove my pontoon?

1969 Tucker 542 with 1 Ton International axles. I haven't been able to get a measurement and the part stores need to know if it has A/C or not......:doh:

I looked at some old international listings on Rock Auto. The old Scout calls for a 2-1/16" nut. Of course, none of the part stores seem to be able to order that size....

Any help would be appreciated.

4TrackCat

500 series axle 2 1/2 six point
700 series axle 2 9/16 eight point

It is easy to make a socket by bending 1/8 in thick material and welding a broken 1/2 inch drive socket to a plate on top of the bent six point material. You will not be applying big torque to it. Make sure it is deep enough to clear the axle housing.

Last edited:

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Well, the socket I bought was not a good fit. It is stamped and the QC inspector should be fired. It was 2-1/2" but measured well under and would not go on the nut. I found a better quality one that fit but it was 3/4 drive which I am not tooled up with. I welded a 1/2" drive socket on it and it worked well. Pontoon is off!
d91c714dcdddbd4b46955903ae850f43.jpg
e36db8a9d04b9adb214aef8855026d70.jpg

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
I'll be replacing all 4 metal skid plates with new stainless ones. I'll also be getting some fiberglass repair work done while it's apart. I want to look over all of the metal roller track components and may preventively change out the hub bearings and inner seal.
617b14aabdac131e2d82168e05c96892.jpg
6d36e2b265f38fddcc98e4cc83ef667f.jpg

Sno-Surfer

I'm taking a lot better notes on Tucker repairs now that I have one. But man you all make it look so easy with your big shops with lifts and forklifts etc! I have a driveway and a floor jack :yum: (and some Tucker friends and some determination). So far I'm pretty good at changing cotter pins.
I had the top captive rail come off on our trip up Jug Mt which I'm pretty sure was my issue with the track skipping on climbs. That's the piece I found laying in the snow when I stopped. Off to the Tucker Tech academy this Friday to see about fixing it.
Great looking 500 machine you have!

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
I picked up that little pallet stacker lift for $40 at an auction. Just may be the best deal I've ever gotten. I use it for just about everything from changing tires to lifting trailer tongues onto trucks to fixing snowcats. Saves my back a lot!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk