• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Scouting

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I've spent the past 3 years saying "I can't do this. I can't do that." Well no more. I can do this and I will do this. It won't be easy and I already know that I'll have limitations but I decided last week that I can become a scout leader and I will succeed.

All our kids are involved in the scouting program in some form. The younger ones are in beavers and cubs while the older two are in scouts. They do allot more camping backpacking canoeing etc. I won't be able to hike 3 miles with a pack on my back to get to a cabin but I can definitely bring my boat and get there that way. I can also use the side by side. So this weekend I'm heading out with the scout troop to a spring camp. We'll see how it goes. Looking forward to getting back to normal somewhat.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So I've spent the past 3 years saying "I can't do this. I can't do that." Well no more. I can do this and I will do this. It won't be easy and I already know that I'll have limitations but I decided last week that I can become a scout leader and I will succeed.

All our kids are involved in the scouting program in some form. The younger ones are in beavers and cubs while the older two are in scouts. They do allot more camping backpacking canoeing etc. I won't be able to hike 3 miles with a pack on my back to get to a cabin but I can definitely bring my boat and get there that way. I can also use the side by side. So this weekend I'm heading out with the scout troop to a spring camp. We'll see how it goes. Looking forward to getting back to normal somewhat.

:thumb:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What you can do is the normal for you right now Brian.
God is blessing you one step at a time.
You're going to get there.
:smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I'll try not to overdo it but chances are I probably will. Lol. Just nice to be getting back out there. I may not be able to do allot of things since my accident but I'm determined to get out there and find stuff I can do.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
On Friday we arrived at the scout camp to set up. 9 kids and 3 leaders. Kids in the first cabin and leaders in the second.
0f167c5ee46ca3b70dbc8fca7621fbbe.jpg
6a809f384873d53619a7e5ca972f5e52.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
During the hike we went to inspect an old scouting campsite that hadn't been used in many years. We plan on using it in june at an all sections camp where everyone will be in tents.
8d09b907aed18d93bf64852f236b41cb.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The scout camp has a big open field they use to setup tents for larger gatherings. There's a main kitchen cabin that can be used as well as 5 sleeping cabins with bunks.
f7f49c3e77a9f77c1f3a4b5b1b82fcf3.jpg
e3e960cb0e77958a538c5bae548c053a.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
In the afternoon we spent time teaching the kids how to start fires using various methods other than a lighter or matches. One is a flint stone and steel wool. Another method is with charred cloth and a magnifying glass.
e73d8e56e98425005e6b3ca665fcb81c.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Even though the camp has a fully equipped kitchen we cooked outside using Coleman stoves and over the campfire.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The next camp will be a city wide all unit camp at the same location in June. That means beavers, cubs, scouts, venturers, and rovers all set up in the same field. There are approximately 4 groups of each category in the city. So there should be over 100 kids there.

We have 2 locations where we camp. The grey wolf camp (where we were this weekend) and the dog lake camp which is basically a log cabin 3 miles in from a dirt road. Our group is the only one left using that location.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like you survived and had a lot of fun with the kids!

Very nice.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. I survived. Not any more sore than I would be at home. This was a pretty relaxed camp though. The dog lake camp would be a different story. It's a 3 mile hike over a tight twisty trail to get there.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Good job getting involved. I was adult leader the entire time my son was in Cub Scouts and Boys Scouts. Then spent some extra time helping a friends kid too(stayed on as adult leader).

I really enjoyed the time. Did lots of campouts, took the kids to cool places. Went to a number of Scout camps in Calif and Oregon(Camp Meriwether on the coast in Oregon is AWESOME! So is Fiesta Island in San Diego).

It really helps the kids to have active participating adult leaders. Even though it is Boy led, it helps to have supportive adults.

Did the Scoutmaster merit badge at a few different camps; it's nice when they have adult activities. Did the Camp Meriwether Frontiersman award. Lot of fun.

I'm a big supporter of Cub/Boy Scouts, 4H, Girl Scouts, and the those that help out in the programs. Some of those kids will be our next leaders, astronauts, civic leaders etc.

"I used to be a Buffalo, a good ole Buffalo too..."
WE-47-08

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's awesome. The scouts seem to be an organization that stands for pretty much everything I believe in. I'm normally an all or nothing guy. When I was in high school I was part of a program very similar to scouts. I loved it and always dreamed of sharing that with my children. Now I can. We were planning the next camp tonight and going through the gear. I've been voluntold to bring the side by side since it's going to be an area camp they will need a leader to run between the camps delivering snacks and water for the kids.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That's awesome. The scouts seem to be an organization that stands for pretty much everything I believe in. I'm normally an all or nothing guy. When I was in high school I was part of a program very similar to scouts. I loved it and always dreamed of sharing that with my children. Now I can. We were planning the next camp tonight and going through the gear. I've been voluntold to bring the side by side since it's going to be an area camp they will need a leader to run between the camps delivering snacks and water for the kids.

Brian, looks like you have found your calling!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. I'm enjoying it so far. Since my accident I spent a lot of time looking back and mourning the things I couldn't do anymore. This is the year of change for me. I've got a whole different outlook on life. Being a new scout leader has shown me that I still have lots to offer. Even if I can't do it all.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. I'm enjoying it so far. Since my accident I spent a lot of time looking back and mourning the things I couldn't do anymore. This is the year of change for me. I've got a whole different outlook on life. Being a new scout leader has shown me that I still have lots to offer. Even if I can't do it all.

You’re improving the lives of those around you. Can’t ask you to do more than that. :tiphat: :beer:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I forgot to mention, one of the cool trips we did in both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts was trips to the USS Hornet, and one to the USS Pampanito.

I am unsure of Canada, but in the US there are a number of battleships, submarines, and aircraft carriers that have overnight programs for youth groups. In the case of the Pack and Troop my son was in in N. Calif, the Hornet and Pampanito were withing a 2 hour drive.

For Cub Scouts, on the USS Hornet, you board the ship at 5pm, do a safety orientation, stow your gear, and then explore the ship and programs till dinner time. After dinner in the galley, they have continued tours and activities till lights Out. In the morning, they have breakfast, and then can leave, or are free to explore the ship as part of the normal museum activity.

For Boy Scouts, they do the same, but also have the opportunity to show up in the morning, and then earn merit badges. My son did Ham Radio, Aviation, and Space Exploration merit badges on USS Hornet.

When we went the kids and adults both enjoyed the programs.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds cool. So many great opportunities for the kids.

Two of the leaders in our troop are currently in the navy. And the main leader is ex army. We try to arrange a tour whenever a military ship is in port here. We've also toured our local naval base.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
:applause:
None of us can do it all now; the odds are we never could. But we can do our best with what we still have even if it is a mere shadow of our former best. There are a lot, and I mean a LOT of things the 71 year old me can't manage that the 21 year old me could do and never raise a sweat! We need to focus on doing our best at the things we can do now.

You're still a relative youngster and it has to chafe to look back and see what you can no longer accomplish but you're still looking at the grass from the green side and that means you still have a chance to live a good life and do many amazing things. Hang in there! :boxing:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We took the kids outside tonight to pick up trash around the church we use for the meetings. Afterwards we went on a walk to explore some of the local history nearby. On the walk, we still picked up trash as we went. It's good exposure for the group to be seen in public in our uniforms picking up trash.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
711712f6e98f31f39a8a000a2e32383f.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Tonight's meeting was great. We met at our cascades hiking trails for a hike. A long time scout leader from England joined us. He's considering bringing his scout troop over for two weeks next year. Anyways, here's a few pictures from the hike.
f05d72f2f5c358f0ca78136cf7b1a0d2.jpg
fbc58a7bd2e07b60e8ffb18796479968.jpg
d8afe86c1b77b5a2ae6e90b2de45413c.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It was fun. About half of the trails were paved so I could use the scooter to get as far as I could which was about 100ft from the falls.

One of the "fun" things we did was a scouts baptism. Lol. Two of the leaders held a scout upside down by the ankles and dunked them head first into the river.
ac4c2d61cfc74ae53eae66e10c077a3c.jpg
8508edeffe9f71179c724b992a5e1e4e.jpg
35d1cbf8005519d594c2bb46f82cf052.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm at our annual scout all sections camp. We've been doing activities all day with the kids. In total there are roughly 120 people here.
4c614bf2c61a3869fbbb28f8daa2f6d9.jpg
67d38d58254ab081bf49b3be76d4835e.jpg
3c77702589625be4264ebc0b1c80e961.jpg
817bc588c5a35afb067a86e7a0ff2b57.jpg
5ecf22cc621226cfb2edf7225625b9d2.jpg
f58a61df570ce17195b85fb59ea7ea03.jpg