• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to me DMC 1450

Plasticman

Hello all!
I just want to say how informative this forum has been and helpful (unfortunately lol) in my decision to purchase a snowcat. I have a deposit down on a Super Imp 1450 wide track and am just waiting on the current owner to finish getting it put back together. Its a 2 man cab intended primarily for cabin access but will hopefully get a few day trips in as well. I have a few questions that hopefully you more seasoned owners can answer. This is my first cat but I do have some snowmobile experience.
1) The unit I'm buying comes complete with a blade. This seems like it would add a ton of weight and I don't intend to plow or groom. Should I leave it installed, remove it and save it or try to sell it?
2) What would you deem important upgrades or modifications to this type of machine?
3) What is in your "Dont Leave Home Without It" kit when you go?
4) Is there a local owners club?
5) To any local guys, what are some of your favorite trails that are open to snowcats?

Again, thanks for all the info you guys share, I hope to have something worthwhile to add!

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Greetings to the newest member of the loony bin.

Blade: If your route involves crossing drifted faces, yes keep it.

Survival kit: Have a minimum of two days food and such. I also keep supplies to make fire and a shelter. Cats will break down. It may be you need to stay with it and wait for rescue, be (reasonably) comfortable while doing so

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the blade will come in handy to smooth the trail ahead. if you are running across heavily drifted areas you will want the blade. why ? you ask think of your track as a bike chain if you twist it too much it will come off same with a track not to mention the stresses put on your road wheels I carry mine a few inches above the ground wnen I need to level it works great I under stand the imp blades are a little slow I would still run it .