• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

scouting a skidozer.

I'm on the road today scouting a potential skidozer purchase.

A 1979 252G auto trans, 6 way blade.

Trailer too.

I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it all looks as good as it does in email pics.

IMG-20111221-00119.jpg

700 miles under my belt today, just got home. Couldn't post and drive lol!

Pic I posted was taken at a red lobster parking lot (wife's favorite)

I am digging my way out of a very deep hole for this purchase. :eek:

I'll post more details tomorrow.

For now it's at it's new home and I'l ready for bed.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy.

Although it was a white knuckle drive 55mph max speed as the trailer wanted to do the death wag if I went any faster than 55.

I like where the rig is sitting on the trailer so I'm going to experiment with hitch height first to try and plant the rear axle's tires to the pavement better. if that don't work I'll probably move the axles back 6".

IMG-20111221-00120.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

Last edited:

the old trucker

icon1.gif
Re: scouting a skidozer.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy.

Although it was a white knuckle drive 55mph max speed as the trailer wanted to do the death wag if I went any faster than 55.

I like where the rig is sitting on the trailer so I'm going to experiment with hitch height first to try and plant the rear axle's tires to the pavement better. if that don't work I'll probably move the axles back 6".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How about if you went to a truck stop with CAT scales ( or DOT scales ) & get a print out so you will know what weight is on each axle. The dot can tell you what your allowable gross per axle is. Go from there...

snowbird

I'm jealous of your trailer. I'm looking for a used one like that to transport my SkiDozer. Did you have any trouble driving up the ramps?

The initial climb was steep. the drawbar frame on the hitch in back dug into the ground.

A little blocking for better ramp angles next time will fix that though.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Try backing it on and see how the weight is distributed on the trailer. Looks like the tongue could be about 2-4 inches lower also.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
looking at the pics fro the trailerdeath wag is going to kill you till you get the right hitch first it looks like your ball is too high and you need a load equalizing hitch with sway control i think your ski dozer weighs in around 6 k plus another 2 k for the trailer and at 8 k ou are over gross on the hitch look at the sticker on it i would bet it says 500lb toung weight and 5000 trailer weight for a load carring hitch than it will say something like 1000lb toung and 10 k for a load equalizing hitch if the hitch is set up right all you have to worry about is if a ford can pull that kind weight

I unloaded it tonight at home (skidozer off the trailer) but I took notice of what kind of tongue weight I have on the truck as I set the trailer coupler down on the reciever ball on the truck. NOT ENOUGH!

Well, that might make this rig pulling business a lot easier. I might just have to move the machine another 6" forward on the trailer. We weren't loading on level ground where I purchased the machine so I really couldn't tell .

I put a little bit of blocking under the tail edge of the ramps and put the trailer jack down and lifted the nose of the trailer with the jack (still hitched to the truck of course)

It came off a lot nicer than it went on for us.

The youngest boy and I ran it around a little on our snowless frozen ground at home.

He thought it was cool. :)

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our 252D Ski Dozer is in the shop at the moment.

There is an oil pump that feeds oil directly on the ring and pinion gears. It also pushes oil though the oil cooler. At some point last season our pump quit pumping Not good.....The ring and pinion will go again in our case, but will not last like they could have. Check this out on your machine and make sure it has a trans-drolic type gear oil, not ATF. John Deere torque guard J20C is an example. There are 3 compartments with walls that let the oil comingle if the oil is up to level. But the side sumps are not going to be checked if the center oil is too low to be above the divider. And, if you have a leak at the seal of the axle/drive gear, that side can run dry while oil is still checkable in the center sump. If it were mine I would be real tempted to pull off the rear end cover and take a look. Lets you see the brake bands as well. But maybe you know about yours, and how it was maintained.

Good machines, hope you have tons of fun with it!:clap:

Regards, Kirk

Thanks for the pointers, I think I might pull the rear cover and have a look.

How about gasket for the cover when putting it back on? is that an RTV thing or?

Would a "hytran" type oil work?

Thanks.

My 252 has a cooler , well a pair of coolers up front by the radiator. One for the auto trans and the other must be for the fluid in the rear end?

I have temp gauges for both of these things so I'm guessing that's it.

Where is the pump to circulate the rear diff fluid?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
On mine the pump for the diff. and the filter for it are right in the center of the machine under the cover. The pump is powered by the drive shaft.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW, that is one very nice looking Ski Dozer you have there......

Wish our had the auto trans. The diesel engine is nice however, and good on fuel. We do wish it had a turbo and a bit more power for warmer days...

Kirk

Thanks, going from a 1300 series belt tracked tucker to this twin track rig is going to be an adjustment.

But once I get used to the brake steering I think i'll be better off in the long run.

I have the 2 speed T-case as well, but previous owner warned against trying it, he says it is hard to get back into high range if you get it shifted into low.

I'm thinking cable/linkage but haven't had time to check it out yet.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
My T-case shifts hard,too. I just leave it in low. Still plenty of speed for me.

Do you have the hydraulic steering ?

I took the 252 out in a farm field by home here tonight and opened her up.

lol!

24MPH on the gps

And unlike the old tucker at 12mph, it doesn't sound like hell's comin with log chains and metal garbage cans lol!!

It's actually a nice ride at 24 mpg and I don't have a tach but I don't think the engine was spinning much over 3000 if even 3000.

I'm really liking this machine!

:wow::w00t2::brows::clap:

snowbird

My old SkiDozer must have the same transmission and rear end. Our local Search and Rescue asked me what was my top speed so I laid out a 528 foot distance and timed it. Sure enough, right around 24 to 25 mph.