• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Removing Implements

BoneheadNW

I would be the first to admit, I am still a bit of a rookie when it comes to tractors. My technique is pretty good with respect to using the FEL and BH, but I have no other tractor experience. I am close to buying a boxscraper but I have to figure out where to store the BH or scraper when it is not in use. That being said, how long does it take you to remove a BH or other implement? Where do you store it? Is a BH difficult to position in the shed/garage before removing it? Pictures would be great.
Bonehead

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you'll send me your BH I'll be glad to report back to you on how hard it is to install and take off. :D

I just wish I had that problem. I have BH envy. :eek:

Pat's easy change system has made my life easier for switching between my rotary cutter and box blade ...etc. Those are my two heaviest implements and I used to have to manuver them with a 6' spud bar to get em off and on the tractor. Pat's system saves time and is much easier on my back. I think I read on TBN that some used Pat's system with a BH, not positive though.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I cheat. I back my tractor up to my fork lift with a pallet on the forks and sit the implement onto the pallet on the forks. I then drive away with the tractor when the implement is off and use the fork lift to put the implement up on pallet shelves. It's really quite easy. My box scraper is great to use and it weighs over 1000 pounds. It's a breeze to put up and take down off the shelves. Also, when attaching it to the tractor, it's actually easy to scoot it a bit to get the pins in. I don't even use the telescoping links often on my tractor.

All right, now that I've been a smart a$$, I did also cheat before I had a fork lift in my barn. Bob better sit down before he reads further though; I went to Harbor Fright and bought those $15 furniture movers to use. You know, those little wooden rectangle things with caster wheels on the bottom and some carpeting on the wood. I could put a couple of 2X4's on those to make my implement fit on them and then I could easily roll the implement around with ease. I was no longer stuck with leaving that 1000 pound box blade where I took it off. My plow, rear blades, tiller etc. all rolled around.

I don't know what to suggest with a backhoe attachment though. My backhoe was a Case 580 E and I sold it to my neighbor. He still doesn't know how to use it well, so the trade off now is that I'll go operate the backhoe for him when needed and, in turn, I get use of it when needed. I just drive it back to my neighbor's house for storage. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BH,

What kind of surface are you storing your implements? (concrete, dirt, stone...).

Unless it's on very smooth concrete, I put 2x(whatever) under the implements. This allows you some chance to slide it some to reattach. This will be key for your heavier things.

The other important thing is to try to place them on a flat surface. Any dips, slopes... will make it harder to reattach.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You wussies...........I rassle with them like your spose to.............:yum:

All I do is set the three points on buckets.................. :)

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Bob better sit down before he reads further though; I went to Harbor Fright and bought those $15 furniture movers to use. You know, those little wooden rectangle things with caster wheels on the bottom and some carpeting on the wood. I could put a couple of 2X4's on those to make my implement fit on them and then I could easily roll the implement around with ease
I have my box blades on Harbor Freight furniture dollies too. My spreader and my sprayer are on cut down pallets that have casters bolted to them. I welded casters to the bottom of my weight box! The landscape rake, tiller, rear blade, cultivator, PHD and planter just sit on the concrete.

I really really like the Pat's Easy Change system too. It is better than extendable lower links!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
You wussies...........I rassle with them like your spose to.............:yum:
Come on now BD...:pat: Everyone knows the real manly way to handle this is to purchase a tractor for every implement.:thumb:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
My vote goes to Pat's. It still takes a little work but it is much easier.

Gosh, I'll have to be the lone dissenter on Pat's. I didn't like it and it was more trouble than not having it for me. I gave it away to my destructive neighbor friend almost 2 years ago when I just couldn't use it. If the implement is on casters like I generally use, I see no use for Pat's system. It's just a PIA and annoying to me. :(

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Gosh, I'll have to be the lone dissenter on Pat's. I didn't like it and it was more trouble than not having it for me. I gave it away to my destructive neighbor friend almost 2 years ago when I just couldn't use it. If the implement is on casters like I generally use, I see no use for Pat's system. It's just a PIA and annoying to me. :(

Maybe if you didn't have it installed upside-down it would have been easier fo you to use :pat:

BoneheadNW

Dargo said:
I went to Harbor Fright and bought those $15 furniture movers to use. You know, those little wooden rectangle things with caster wheels on the bottom and some carpeting on the wood. I could put a couple of 2X4's on those to make my implement fit on them and then I could easily roll the implement around with ease. I was no longer stuck with leaving that 1000 pound box blade where I took it off. My plow, rear blades, tiller etc. all rolled around. :thumb:
Are these the ones you are talking about? I would love to see some pictures of your pallet shelves. I seem to recall a thread many moons ago where you guys posted pics of your collection of attachments but I can't find it now.

The optimum place for me to store the box blade would be in the garage. It would take quite a bit of shuffling (some of the kids crap in the garage is a heartbeat away from going to the rotary auction). The BH would probably only stay off the tractor when I am actively using the box scraper as it takes up so much space.
Bone

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Maybe if you didn't have it installed upside-down it would have been easier fo you to use :pat:

:yum: Okay, you don't see the advantage of being able to back up to your implement and then drop your 3 pt. arms down onto the pins? :whistle:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BH,

If you're considering the dolly approach, I'd propose you make your own.

All you need is the caster wheels and a few 2x4's (which you'll probably need anyway). You can then make them more to your needs.

On e-bay, you can get (8) 4" caster wheels for the same $20. (4 fixed, 4 swivel). There's many others on e-bay even cheaper.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Are these the ones you are talking about? I would love to see some pictures of your pallet shelves. I seem to recall a thread many moons ago where you guys posted pics of your collection of attachments but I can't find it now.

Yes, that is the things I use under some implements. They go on sale for $15 all the time. I've broken some, but that's expected with the weight I have on some of them. The weight rating they have seems to be what they'll take just sitting still. If you put their rated weight on them and hit a drain cap in the floor a caster will snap right off. For $15, I just pitch the 3 legged remainder and get another.

I don't have a pic of my pallet racks since I store secret things on them, but they are just heavy duty racks that are about 42" deep and about 5' from one rack to the next shelf above. I store everything from big block engines, implements, to scrap iron on them. Without a fork lift and a relatively high ceiling, they aren't much good for someone unless you weld in some angle (flat side up) between the runs and then put plywood on them. I have some that way for items that are not on a pallet. If you've ever been a Sam's Club or even Lowes, they use pallet racks for most of their stuff. I can buy 5000 pound per shelf pallet racks at a surplus place here that are 8' between posts and 16' high for about $150 a section.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:

Well for those of us who stash our implements under trees Pat's is a god send.

My tractor is also a PIA to adjust the lift arms out and around the pins of some implements. With Pat's I don't have to do as much adjusting.

Maybe someday when I'm a bazillionaire like Dargo then I will have a huge barn and storage system with casters. But for now Pat's is pretty good.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Well for those of us who stash our implements under trees Pat's is a god send.

My tractor is also a PIA to adjust the lift arms out and around the pins of some implements. With Pat's I don't have to do as much adjusting.

Maybe someday when I'm a bazillionaire like Dargo then I will have a huge barn and storage system with casters. But for now Pat's is pretty good.
Don't feel bad PB...

My attachments are sitting outside on stone and I don't have any easy-change system. I just do it the BigDog way and "rassle with them like your spose to.":eek:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Come on now BD...:pat: Everyone knows the real manly way to handle this is to purchase a tractor for every implement.:thumb:
Next thing we'll hear from Skurka and Brent is a selective push button progressive shelving system with electronic sensor parking for exact location staging for the pnuematic lift arm assit three point connecting system ....................:pat:

:yum::yum::yum:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Next thing we'll hear from Skurka and Brent is a selective push button progressive shelving system with electronic sensor parking for exact location staging for the pnuematic lift arm assit three point connecting system ....................:pat:

:yum::yum::yum:

I was just gonna hire an illegal immigrant laborer to attach and detach my implements, but I can't find one around anymore for some reason.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bone,
I use Pat's too. I have for a couple of years now. If you order them through Northern Tool, you'll pay out the wazoo for them. Order them straight from Pat at www.greenwellmfg.com All of my implements sit outside beside the shed. No choice, well yeah there is one. Tractor outside? or implements outside? :whistle:
I sit the finish mower down on 2 PT 4X4's and unhook it there. The blades just sit on the ground. Not too hard with Pat's.