• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcats on TV and in Movies

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Did anyone ever see THE LOST WORLD? I never even heard of it.
Yup, I've seen at least over version of it years ago. Its one of a series of books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He wrote Sherlock Holmes stories too. The Lost World was based on the Professor Challenger stories.

According to Wikipedia:
The novel has been adapted to film many times, the first time in 1925, with screen legend Wallace Beery as Professor Challenger. This version was directed by Harry O. Hoyt and featured pioneering stop motion special effects by Willis O'Brien (an invaluable warmup for his work on the original King Kong directed by Merian C. Cooper). This version has been deemed "culturally significant" by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

During the early 1940's there was also a radio drama of The Lost World, written by John Dickson Carr and serialised by the BBC. Alien Voices also did an "radio drama" of The Lost World for audio cassette. Voice actors included Leonard Nimoy.

The novel was also adapted to film in 1960, 1992 and 1998. A sequel to the 1992 film, Return to the Lost World, was also released that year. The novel also inspired a 2001 television mini-series, starring Bob Hoskins and Peter Falk, and a television series that ran for three seasons from 1999.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I remember the TV series. But not this movie. Would be neat to see the Bombi in action. Man talk about loading it down!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I turned up another one.

Steven Carpenter's THE THING from 1982. The photos below show a Bombardier Skidozer 301.

Here is a description of the movie that I found on the internet.
SYNOPSIS
clear_dot.gif

Based on both the short story by John W. Campbell, Jr. and the 1951 film produced by Howard Hawks, THE THING is John Carpenter's stunning masterpiece of horror. A group of weary scientists enduring the winter in an isolated camp deep in Antarctica chance upon an alien spacecraft buried in the ice. Near the strange craft is the body of an alien being, frozen solid. Thinking they have made the find of a lifetime, the scientists bring the alien body back to camp and thaw it out. The alien awakens, not in the best of moods, and proceeds to take over the identities of the scientists, one by one, body and all. Helicopter pilot MacCready (Kurt Russell) must lead the surviving men in discovering who among them is human and who is not and how they can destroy "the thing" before it takes them all and moves on to the heavily populated mainland and the rest of humanity. Rob Bottin supplies the awe-inspiring special effects of the creature in its many, ever-changing forms. The effects were groundbreaking at the time and hold up flawlessly over the passing years. But Carpenter does not rely solely on special effects, utilizing his spectacular cast, which includes Wilford Brimley and Richard Dysart, to create three dimensional characters enduring an unthinkable situation. The score from Ennio Morricone is understated, yet increases the tense mood tenfold. Shooting was difficult and done in below freezing conditions, but despite the discomfort the cast and crew produced a truly terrifying film that will stand the test of time. THE THING is surely one of Carpenter's definitive films and a true horror classic.​

Attachments

• 72 Skidozer 301, The Thing.jpg
    72 Skidozer 301, The Thing.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 72 Skidozer, The Thing.jpg
    72 Skidozer, The Thing.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 72 Skidozer, The Thing2.jpg
    72 Skidozer, The Thing2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 521

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The "X-Files" movie has a sceene with a bunch of 2-tracked snowcats.

Attachments

• x files Prinoth T4.jpg
    x files Prinoth T4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 489
  • X files Prinoth track.jpg
    X files Prinoth track.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 498
  • X files tucker.jpg
    X files tucker.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 494

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
I remember that X file.

Then why didn't you post the pictures!?! :moon:

OK, this is my last post on this topic for a little while because I'm completely out of material for this topic. I did a websearch and came up with a totally bizarre looking foreign film from 1969 called Hibernatus.

Never heard of it, and I don't have a desire to rent it. But at this point I've run out of films with snowcats in them.

Attachments

• 689.jpg
    689.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 493
  • bitmap1fm9.jpg
    bitmap1fm9.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 490
  • bitmap5iz3.jpg
    bitmap5iz3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Hibernatus.png
    Hibernatus.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 488

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea, funny, I just watched this the other night... what's interesting is that there's a line where one guy says: "Meet me out at the Thiokol" and they end up in the Bombardier. Wooohooo! :smileywac They just don't know their kit or their weirdo audience! Hmm...tracked vehicle freak watching alien DNA-replicating world-dominating beasties in the arctic. :puke1: OK, makes sense, hard audience to predict or know.

B_Skurka said:
Well I turned up another one.

Steven Carpenter's THE THING from 1982. The photos below show a Bombardier Skidozer 301.

Here is a description of the movie that I found on the internet.
SYNOPSIS
clear_dot.gif

Based on both the short story by John W. Campbell, Jr. and the 1951 film produced by Howard Hawks, THE THING is John Carpenter's stunning masterpiece of horror. A group of weary scientists enduring the winter in an isolated camp deep in Antarctica chance upon an alien spacecraft buried in the ice. Near the strange craft is the body of an alien being, frozen solid. Thinking they have made the find of a lifetime, the scientists bring the alien body back to camp and thaw it out. The alien awakens, not in the best of moods, and proceeds to take over the identities of the scientists, one by one, body and all. Helicopter pilot MacCready (Kurt Russell) must lead the surviving men in discovering who among them is human and who is not and how they can destroy "the thing" before it takes them all and moves on to the heavily populated mainland and the rest of humanity. Rob Bottin supplies the awe-inspiring special effects of the creature in its many, ever-changing forms. The effects were groundbreaking at the time and hold up flawlessly over the passing years. But Carpenter does not rely solely on special effects, utilizing his spectacular cast, which includes Wilford Brimley and Richard Dysart, to create three dimensional characters enduring an unthinkable situation. The score from Ennio Morricone is understated, yet increases the tense mood tenfold. Shooting was difficult and done in below freezing conditions, but despite the discomfort the cast and crew produced a truly terrifying film that will stand the test of time. THE THING is surely one of Carpenter's definitive films and a true horror classic.​

xcspxlt

A.V.P.
Alien vs. Predator . I believe they had at least two maybe three Pisten Bullys in it. Had quite a few in cab shots and outside shots.
I tried to get some pics off the web but all the clips of the movie are snow cat free. :snow2_smi:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
xcspxlt said:
A.V.P.
Alien vs. Predator . I believe they had at least two maybe three Pisten Bullys in it. Had quite a few in cab shots and outside shots.
I tried to get some pics off the web but all the clips of the movie are snow cat free. :snow2_smi:
Well I screwed up. :cry: That movie was actually on the FX channel tonight! If I would have taken the time to record it I could have grabbed some images of the snowcats. Its on FX again tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll get some images tomorrow?

I did find one more movie. TAXI 3 It only had a glancing shot. Can someone identify this snowcat?

Attachments

• Prinoth Husky?.jpg
    Prinoth Husky?.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 708
  • Taxi 3.png
    Taxi 3.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 706
  • Taxi_3_film.jpg
    Taxi_3_film.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 712

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Well I screwed up. :cry: That movie was actually on the FX channel tonight! If I would have taken the time to record it I could have grabbed some images of the snowcats. Its on FX again tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll get some images tomorrow?

I did find one more movie. TAXI 3 It only had a glancing shot. Can someone identify this snowcat?

It looks like a Pisten Bully not sure what size .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Original Made For TV version of SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN

Fred Astaire is the postman who drives a Ford coversion snowcat! I think that counts doesn't it?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 742

rsqfd

Here is a pic of a Spryte that appeared in an episode of Emergency! Anyone advise as to the model number or any other information about it. Sorry but the only shots of it are on its side.

thanks RSQFD

Attachments

• Tractor18.jpg
    Tractor18.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 715

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a pic of a Spryte that appeared in an episode of Emergency! Anyone advise as to the model number or any other information about it. Sorry but the only shots of it are on its side.
Hi Richard, welcome to the Snowcat area at the ForumsForums. I'm not a Thiokol expert, but we have a few guys here can probably identify that Spryte for you. It does have an interesting cab configuration, I've not seen one like that before. The tracks are all terrain tracks, not deep snow tracks, which makes sense since this is obviously portraying a fire fighting vehicle in the TV show.

Do you own a Spryte?

rsqfd

Hi, No - I do not have a Spryte or any other snowcat type vehicle. I have been doing research on the Television program and besides information on the obvious Squad and Engine(s) 51 information I have also included info on some of the other pieces of equipment seen in the program as well.

LACoFD did own this Spryte during the 60's and 70's and it was utilized to haul hose up rough terrain as seen in these photos with the 30" ATV tracks . There is another photo of the vehicle that shows it with a roll-bar cab (no windows) but did not appear in the program as such. The box on the front was an add-on and I believe was utilized for hand tools and other similar equipment.

During the time I posted the original message and now I have been advised that it is an early 1201A model, (They did make a 1201A with a "ledge" under the front windshield and another without as seen here), or a 201 Spryte due to the engine location.

If anyone has any other info it would be most appreciated.

RSQFD

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob my apple wont let me takes pics of the movie. Oh well still a great movie!
The newest version of the Mac OS may have the screen capture function turned off when the DVD player is operating?

So I take it that you don't have any snowcat photos from ICE STATION ZEBRA? Can you at least confirm the make model and use of snowcats in the movie?

Robert

here are some pics from star wars, jawa sand crawlers

you think the neighbors would complain if you had that in your backyard:argueing:

Attachments

• 250px-Sandcrawler.jpg
    250px-Sandcrawler.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 634
  • sandcrawler_side.jpg
    sandcrawler_side.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 588
  • snow cat I-80.jpg
    snow cat I-80.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 585
  • 600px-MCQ-sandcrawler.jpg
    600px-MCQ-sandcrawler.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 590
  • 600px-AncientSandCrawler.jpg
    600px-AncientSandCrawler.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 591
1 of my fathers B-12 bombardiers was in an episode of "war of the worlds"
it was an awfull canadian sci-fi series from the 80's.i think they paid him $1000.00 to be on set for the day and drive the machine for the scenes.
i will have to find a link to the episode so i can post a pic.:thumb:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the first 5 minutes of "the Day After Tomorrow" when the sientists are on the ice shelf, is that a Foremost or Bombardiar?

ve3otk

From Day After Tomororow 5:11 from start of movie:

Attachments

• DayAfterTomrrow.jpg
    DayAfterTomrrow.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 462

ve3otk

From Aliens vs. Predators:

Attachments

• AVP1.jpg
    AVP1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 454
  • AVP2.jpg
    AVP2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 461
  • AVP3.jpg
    AVP3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 454

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks!!!

For anyone wishing to see some good pics and footage of snowcats in action, see ve3otk's sign line. Nice to see the old tucker still going strong. Lots of good pics and video. Trust me on this one. Ve3otk and his guys have some nasty country to get through each year. Lots of steep hills and creeks/swamps.

ve3otk

Thanks!!!

For anyone wishing to see some good pics and footage of snowcats in action, see ve3otk's sign line. Nice to see the old tucker still going strong. Lots of good pics and video. Trust me on this one. Ve3otk and his guys have some nasty country to get through each year. Lots of steep hills and creeks/swamps.

Thanks, Brian.

I only wish I was able to get more vid's this season. Especially wanted to get some on our real hills, but with all the down time we had this year and my work schedule (when I was working!), it wasn't possible. I swear, the first rise on our trail at Red Sucker is a 100% grade.

- Kelly

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I believe it. I've seen pictures and heard stories. You guys have your work cut out for you down there.

ve3otk

James Bond - The Living Daylights

Just realized these are two different machines.

Attachments

• TLD1.jpg
    TLD1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 435
  • TLD2.jpg
    TLD2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 438

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
Haven't seen too many TV references...I do recall an episode of House (Season 4?) where a scientist in Antarctica gets hurt/sick. The beginning scenes had a Tucker in it...