• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTF is this machine?

i fellow i met has this stored in the shed.i have no idea what the heck it is and neither does he.hope someone here can identify it.:biggrin:

Attachments

• TRACKED VEHICLE.jpg
    TRACKED VEHICLE.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 806

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Kristi convertable?:yum: Almost looks like the old Max vehicles but the wheels look Bombi.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
looks like a dirivitive from some kind of amphibious vehicle, and even though it looks kind of krustyish i want one.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
we neen more info what kind of engine what kind of transmission the dracks look like baby nodwell d-dent tracks

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the cool factor just makes me want to add that one to the stable plus it apears to be engineered for soft ground in the summer instead of being made for snow only

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
i fellow i met has this stored in the shed.i have no idea what the heck it is and neither does he.hope someone here can identify it.:biggrin:

Well looks like it has either been treated very kindly, or had never really been run at all. With the air scoop on the front, it looks like it has an air cooled engine, can you post photos of the inside and engine compartment? Does it have a prop on the back or just track drive?

With that windshield, it looks like that came off a 1950's type of boat that was common then.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the thing is cool and in good shape wished i coulg get one might be a bit scarry going down hills with all the weight up front and a ramped track

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Perhaps the owner built it from pieces/parts?
That silver thing toward the back looks like a mooring handle, or just a handle.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I dunno. Can you get more photos?

Is that a front drive cog/sprocket at the top/front of the track? What engine? Is it a brake steer unit? Any lables or decals or emblems on that thing that you can get us a photo of so we can try to deduce the origins? Is the hull actually water tight because many units look like they may be amphibious but they actually are not, if its amphibous that would narrow down the number of manufacturers.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I give up.

What is weird is that it looks sooooo familiar yet no one seems to recognize it.

Gonna look into some of my older Popular Mechanics Mags. In the back classifieds next to the one for "drill your own water well" and "X-Ray see through clothes" glasses.

Might be a kit or drawings&design set of it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The front drive and 4 hydraulic levers sure are baffling since there do not appear to be any front hookups. It looks like an air intake right under the windshield and no real radiator area so maybe air cooled.

The front drive and 4 hydraulic levers sure are baffling since there do not appear to be any front hookups. It looks like an air intake right under the windshield and no real radiator area so maybe air cooled.

apparently its air cooled.gonna try to arrange a peek at it this weekend.:clap:

northeastheavy

The tub keeps reminding me of a J5 chassis hiding under all those plastic panels. Its a bombardier concept snowcat, like GM used to come out with in the 50's and 60's!!!!!
Probably not!!!!!!!
Tough one!!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see it as a home built piece. The windshield is from a 60's era boat. The sheet metal I cann't quite place, but the nose is familiar. The hood is definately from something else as well. What the chassie is, well it looks SW-48 ish to me. But the engine isn't in the back, so who knows?

Regards, Kirk

the old trucker

It has 5 hole rims on it & there are brackets made fast to the chassis, just in front of each wheel. Maybe something was bolted on there @ one time.

OT.