• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

77 years ago, a date that still lives in infamy

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
December 7, 2018
77 years ago, a date that still lives in infamy
By Ethel C. Fenig
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/12/77_years_ago_a_date_that_still_lives_in_infamy.html

On this day 77 years ago, Japan launched a surprise attack against a U.S. naval base in Pearl Harbor in the then-American territory of Hawaii. Over 2,400 Americans were killed, over 1,000 wounded on that day. The countries were not at war at the time. The next day, the U.S. Congress declared war against Japan. Speaking to a joint session of Congress, President Franklin D. Roosevelt (D) called the day of the attack "a date which will live in infamy." Three days later, Germany and Italy declared war against the U.S.; the U.S. then declared war against Germany and Italy. Thus did the U.S. enter into what was later called World War ll, which had been raging in Europe and elsewhere for over two years.

The shock of the attack, with not even a trigger warning, to use a modern term, did not send young people then to scurry to safe spaces, as many do today at the first sign of distress, such as, oh, say, their preferred candidate not winning the presidency or hearing ideas that upset them. Enduring hard times during the Depression years preceding that attack, people of all ages rushed to sign up for the military.

One of them was George H.W. Bush. Six months after Pearl Harbor, in June 1942, he celebrated graduating high school and his 18th birthday by enlisting in the U.S. Navy. A year later, three days before his 19th birthday, he became an ensign and one of the youngest Naval aviators. Surviving the horrors of years of war – no safe spaces for him – he married, completed college, and went on to live a life of service to his country, love for his family.

It is hauntingly symbolic that Bush passed away just a few days before another Pearl Harbor anniversary was buried the day prior. Another veteran of that terrible war, former senator and presidential candidate Bob Dole (R), now 95, who was severely injured during that same brutal war but also later led a productive life, struggled to stand in respect at Bush's casket.

They, and millions like them, rushed to danger to protect us all. Most are gone now; their valor endures.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
I was wondering if I was the only one who remembered this day. It was once remembered by all news stations but no more. I guess it is politically incorrect to mention it. Well a lot of Americans died that day and I do remember it as a day of infamy. Have a goodun!!!!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
I was wondering if I was the only one who remembered this day. It was once remembered by all news stations but no more. I guess it is politically incorrect to mention it. Well a lot of Americans died that day and I do remember it as a day of infamy. Have a goodun!!!!

This article is the only place I’ve seen it mentioned :(

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
FDR declares war . . .

A
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=YhtuMrMVJDk"]FDR DECLARES WAR (12/8/41) - Franklin Delano Roosevelt , WWII , Infamy Speech , 24400 - YouTube[/ame]
A

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . . . .

Attachments

• FA8ED07C-0F57-457B-987C-27D4F424CFD4.jpeg
    FA8ED07C-0F57-457B-987C-27D4F424CFD4.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 42370344-9296-4E7C-8BDA-CB8130608FEF.jpeg
    42370344-9296-4E7C-8BDA-CB8130608FEF.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 72

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hiroshima . . .

Attachments

• 3357FE8F-6CF4-4852-9BB8-417E3CC0516D.jpeg
    3357FE8F-6CF4-4852-9BB8-417E3CC0516D.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 53CC3549-D253-4D16-ADDE-5794B6D5CB88.jpg
    53CC3549-D253-4D16-ADDE-5794B6D5CB88.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 78

Ross 650

Site Supporter
I was almost 2 years old when this happened. I remember growing up during the war. There were no new cars, bicycles and anything made of iron was put on the street so it could be picked up and made into military items. I remember my Mom buying groceries with ration books with stamps in them. I also remember the B17s flying over at night as we lived in the approach lane for Ellington Field. It was considered a necessity that any person in a uniform that was thumbing a ride was given one. Was not really a fun time.