• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ski Grooming Implements of the Past

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking to try and collect some pics and information on early ski grooming attachments. Here in the east we pioneered many of these grooming methods. Here is a link to some of the timeline:http://newenglandskimuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ski_grooming_timeline.pdf

Many were homemade and some factory built. I have seen lots of different Valley Engineering Gray, ME attachments. I am sure just like the cats this group has a wealth of knowledge.

Here is a find from the weekend. I was told it still existed so the boys and I did a little prospecting and found this tucked away in the woods at Cranmore. This road grader was fitted with skis and used as one of the early methods seen in the picture here. The skis are most likely long gone but I assume would have been tuckerish wood style.

Still looks to be in pretty good shape and I bet did some parking lot duty as well. Curious what make/model road grader this is.

Would love to get some of these back on the hill for show one day. How about being to ski on a vintage groomed run for charity?

Attachments

• Sno Grader.jpg
    Sno Grader.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Road Grader 2.jpg
    Road Grader 2.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Road Grader 1.jpg
    Road Grader 1.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 269

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our resident Tucker experts can hopefully tell us what year that 443 was there. That should ball park the age of the grader.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bigger:

Attachments

• 4f83151e_groomingatcranmore1962.jpg
    4f83151e_groomingatcranmore1962.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 232
  • cranmore-tucker-sno-cat.jpg
    cranmore-tucker-sno-cat.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 235

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
okay, IMHO, the tucker shown in the picture is a '56, and, again, IMHO, this is the classic tucker and the most beautiful of all the 443's built, and either serial #156469 or #156473, the hunt is on...

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My guess is the grader was made up of old parts. Here are a couple of Russell Graders which used the same type of left/ right gear boxes. This company was manufacturing graders in the early 1900's and later. I have a book which tells you where to find the ser. no. The name of the company is cast into the gearbox. Did you notice this Mr. Addict?

Attachments

• DSCN3309.jpg
    DSCN3309.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN3310.jpg
    DSCN3310.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 216

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't look that close but will next trip up few weeks . Great info as usual.

All the implements in that picture exist except for the magic carpet. Will look around for that also.