• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New brake band installment/1404

DWester

Good morning to all. I'm working on my first IMP 1404 and it needs a new brake band, which I'll have this week. What I was wondering was, should I soak it in oil for a certain period of time prior to installing it? The book it came with says it's a 1969. The serial # is 165. For those that have the knowledge, does that line up with the year?

Also, what's the oil volume for this rear end?

Darol

DWester

I'll stick to one thing here. Should I soak the new band in oil before I install it, or just install it as it comes?

DWester

Thanks you guys. That helps. I do have the manual, but it doesn't have specific info, like it tells you to refill the gear box with the correct grade of oil, but it doesn't say how much. No numbers for timing, torque specs etc. At least I can't find it. Is there another more detailed manual out there?

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
It has been several years since I changed out the brake bands on my Imp, but here's some of the details I recall:
  • I didn't pre-soak the bands -- just put them in dry. They'll have plenty of time to soak in the oil once you fill the differential.
  • I had to grind off just a bit of a high point on one bracket on the bands (don't remember exactly where) in order to clear the case when feeding the bands around the drum. Sorry that this is so vague, but if you can't quite pull the bands all the way around the drum then think about getting out a file or grinder.
  • The only tricky bit (for me) was pulling the bands tight enough to insert the pin holding them to the control levers. I couldn't do it by hand, so I eventually used blocks of wood to create a fulcrum and a six-foot digging bar as a lever. See photos below.
  • When it comes time to fill the differential w/ oil then pop the plugs off the side and top and fill from the top till it pours out the side. Then stop.
  • There's not a lot of torquing involved -- just tighten the various bolts a reasonable amount.
Don't be surprised if you have to go back in and cinch the bands a bit tighter after a few hours of use -- it seems like it takes a bit of time for everything to settle in to where it belongs.

Ron

IMG_0250.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg

PJL

Thiokol didn't like wasting paper on manuals I would guess. You will need to track down a separate book on the engine from Ford and one from Clark on the differential. My 88 1200 manual is like that. There is a separate Ford book for the engine and one for the C6 transmission. The Ford V4 was used in many applications so a Google search will turn up something.

DWester

Thanks PJL. These are interesting critters to say the least. I noticed on the valve cover it says, Made in Western Germany. I have a friend that's been in VW repair for near 50 years and he mentioned that the carb and distributor are VW, but the carb is an industrial version. None of his carb kits would fit this Solex PDSI. VW and Ford.....who would have thunk??

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a link to the 1404 manual.
http://www.goldcordmine.com/manuals/Thiokol%201404/

Also a page from my 1402 manual with lube specs.

I run 50W aircraft engine oil as per the 1965 manual for the 1402, which is the same rear end as your 1404.
There are other modern oils you can use like Shell Spirax 50. The main thing is, make sure they are GL1 spec. GL1 has no additives (sulphur) that will corrode the bronze bearings in the gearbox. If it stinks like sulphur, don't use it.

I also have a more complete copy of the rear end diagrams and parts lists I can send you via email if you contact me through private mail on this forum with your email address.

Attachments

• 12 1402 - Copy.jpg
    12 1402 - Copy.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

DWester

Well, I got'er done and took it for a ride to my cabin. So far, so good. I wanted to thank everyone here for the helpful information. Couldn't have done it without you.

Attachments

• P3020073.jpg
    P3020073.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 213