• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking about going off the grid....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have enough 5 gallon gas cans on hand to feed that thing?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple of 250KW generators with turbine engines on them.
At idle, they use 11 GPH. At full load... 44GPH.
Much more fuel efficient.
Want to buy them?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
how much?
I'm curious, because the office was recently quoted a 250KW backup system from one vendor and a second one quoted us 850KW for less than twice the first bid. (I'm pretty sure 250 would not meet our needs during high use periods)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
how much?
I'm curious, because the office was recently quoted a 250KW backup system from one vendor and a second one quoted us 850KW for less than twice the first bid. (I'm pretty sure 250 would not meet our needs during high use periods)
I have 2 of them so you may be able to get you the KW's you need.

I stand corrected once I looked it up. They're 200KW, 250KVA (I think these are the correct details below). I don't have the specs on the turbine engine but it looks similar to those used in helicopters or smaller jets.

As I recall, each have about 200 or 300 hours on them.

How about $5K each, as is, where is. We could probably arrange a test-fire if we got a pile of batteries to get them started. Price doesn't include any switching gear, MCC's, external blowers, batteries, exhaust shafts...

Solar Spartan Model T-351N (I believe they're now Caterpillar)
EM Synchronous Generator End
250 KVA
200 KW
120/208 Volts, 694 Amps
139/240 Volts, 600 Amps
240/416 Volts, 347 Amps
277/480 Volts, 300 Amps
3 phase
60 Hz
3600 RPM
3 Pole
Sound attenuated enclosure
Fuel consumption: 40 gal/hr

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you think this would be big enough to run the house?

After seeing your house, it would "probably" run the house, barn, garden shed, pond and pool. Make sure you hook it up with net metering so you could sell some back to the grid :yum:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Bob, considering the price of those things new, that's not a bad offer - and I'll keep it in mind once we get word back from the feds if they're going to give us any funding for such a thing in the new FFY.