• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Are we so stupid that we will go to war with Korea's tinpot dictator?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously are we going to war?

LINK to story about, yet another, failed missile test => http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...istic-missile-amid-reports-pyongyang-stating/

Korea just tested (and failed miserably) another missile.

The guy is not a real threat.

He is a pimple on China's ass, but he is not any sort of threat to our nation. And apparently not even a real threat to any of our allies because he is all bluster but can't perform even a simple test.

China is the puppet master here and their puppet has gone rogue. But its China that will pay a big price if there is a war. Let's be really honest, any war will cost China a lot of trade. Sure we rely on China for a lot of our products but we also can get similar products from a lot of other places. China relies on the US trade, they need us as their customer more than we need them as our supplier. True we may have a shortage of iPhones or some specific brands of toasters, microwaves or tennis shoes but we can buy other brands that come from India, South Korea, Indonesia, Mexico or even the US.

Is it really in our interest to have a war with this little man and his impoverished nation?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We have been in a state of war with North Korea since 1952.

Yes, in that time, a lot of stupid has happened.

That said, I can think of nothing dumber than allowing even the remotest chance of that "tinpot" killing one American on our soil.

A rogue nation with nuclear capabilities is hardly a pimple on the ass. It's a sleeping case of Shingles.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I would think the red line in this case would be if NOKO is able to perfect an ICBM capable of hitting Hawaii.

Doing nothing and allowing Hawaii to get bombed again, this time with much more devastating results would be unconscionable.

The concept of Mutual Assured Destruction does not seem to apply to this guy. He does not seem to be able to grasp the obvious.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
One year ago:

“We can’t be the policeman of the world,” said Trump.
“What we do get out of it?” he asked. “It’s time that other people stopped looking at us as stupid, stupid people.”
He pledged, if elected, “we are going to get these countries to pay but not only to pay all the money they owe us for many years … we’ve been carrying these countries”, he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/02/donald-trump-north-korea-war-nuclear-weapons

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would think the red line in this case would be if NOKO is able to perfect an ICBM capable of hitting Hawaii.

Doing nothing and allowing Hawaii to get bombed again, this time with much more devastating results would be unconscionable.

The concept of Mutual Assured Destruction does not seem to apply to this guy. He does not seem to be able to grasp the obvious.

I would agree.

But he has yet to demonstrate anything even close to that ability. Has demonstrated nothing that is remotely close to that range. Heck at this point we are not even sure he can reach Japan, although he has successfully dumped a few of his bottle rockets into the sea between Korea and Japan. Hawaii is a magnitude of distance away from Japan. And nobody knows if his targeting systems are even worth a crap so even if he is able to eventually get enough range, can he hit an island?

Now if he starts to demonstrate some sort of real capabilities then war may become realistic.

But why not let Japan do something, they are clearly at far greater risk?!?

Or let China step on the pimple that seems to be an irritant for their nation? China has billions, perhaps trillions to lose.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I would agree.

But he has yet to demonstrate anything even close to that ability. Has demonstrated nothing that is remotely close to that range. Heck at this point we are not even sure he can reach Japan, although he has successfully dumped a few of his bottle rockets into the sea between Korea and Japan. Hawaii is a magnitude of distance away from Japan. And nobody knows if his targeting systems are even worth a crap so even if he is able to eventually get enough range, can he hit an island?

Now if he starts to demonstrate some sort of real capabilities then war may become realistic.

But why not let Japan do something, they are clearly at far greater risk?!?

Or let China step on the pimple that seems to be an irritant for their nation? China has billions, perhaps trillions to lose.

I have no grasp on how capable NOKO is. Another failed missile test just a few hours ago. This one was an old SCUD based design that exploded moments after launch. This one was far from cutting edge technology, something one would think he would have perfected years ago.

Are we hacking or somehow interfering with these launches? Seems odd that all his launches have failed recently. Especially since Trump became president.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
If the Chinese don't back him up and we do go to war I hope we don't send in ground troops. We could just send in planes and blow the hell out of him.
Who knows then maybe North and South Korea would reunite like East and West Germany?
But it all depends on the Chinese.
Personally I think the government should assassinate him, but there are treaties against that.
But as the saying goes nothing is illegal as long as you don't get caught . . .

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If we are forced to attack NK South Korea will pay a dear price for it. Maybe I'm wrong but I think China will fix this problem. I think it's time to stop kicking this can down the road!!
Mike

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If we are forced to attack NK South Korea will pay a dear price for it. Maybe I'm wrong but I think China will fix this problem. I think it's time to stop kicking this can down the road!!
Mike

Agreed that SOUTH Korea is the loser.

Any attack of any type on NORTH Korea will likely unleash a firestorm of weapons against the South. The NORTH Koreans probably already have all their weapons facing south right now. And our US TROOPS are in the line of fire.

I think China needs to go fix this problem. I sure hope they do so.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Many military experts are suggesting that many of North Korea's weapons my be fake. Many others are obsolete. I've seen several right wing websites detailing some of the faults, but this video comes from CNN and mimics many of the same points that the right wing websites have indicated.

LINK => https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=A3vehJmwz2A

Also in the attached photo you will notice that some of the (terribly unreliable) tubular magazines are held on by string? or Zip Ties? :yum:

Attachments

• PAY-PROD-Soldiers-attend-a-military-parade-in-central-Pyongyang.jpg
    PAY-PROD-Soldiers-attend-a-military-parade-in-central-Pyongyang.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 86

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike

China may be content to let the US remove this thorn in their ass.

I don't think China will go to war with the US over NK.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
From what I've read, the threat isn't their nuclear capability or any of their missiles, it's their long range artillery, thousands of them, dug in and fortified, in the mountains just behind the DMZ. So many that no pre-emptive strike can take them out. They have the capability of reaching Seoul so the South Koreans will pay a heavy price for any military intervention in the North.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
China may be content to let the US remove this thorn in their ass.

I don't think China will go to war with the US over NK.

From what I read/hear on the news, for what it's worth, china doesn't really want NK's ass kicked because of all the refugees crossing their border with NK. China materially supplies NK in virtually all aspects and can shut them down if they really want to. I think this all a test of Trumps resolve.
Mike

Loudmouth

Site Supporter
The fact that Kim Jong Buffoon has nuclear weapons and zero common sense makes it a problem both for the United States and SouthEast Asia in general.

If we don't squash him, and soon, he's going to SELL one or more of those nuclear weapons to a Jihadi organization that will end up detonating it off the coast of NYC!

We simply CANNOT afford to wait until he gets the missile thing right before we act. His military is learning from every error and misfire.

rugerman

China is dependent on the United States for a large part of their livelihood, if we explain it to them that we can cut off a large part of that livelihood if they continue to let the little fat punk with the bad haircut threaten us and our allies. China supplies him with a large portion of his needs, if they cut him off he will soon be starved out of existence. Or at least the people in his country will be forced to take him out in order to survive. The problem that I see is who will take his place, will they be better or worse. It's a sticky situation either way, but he is very unstable and sooner or later he will do something stupid that will force our hand and his neighbor to the south will pay a heavy price.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes we are sooooo f'ing stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military–industrial_complex

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence—economic, political, even spiritual—is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.