• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac gas heater

OldShopTeacher

Does anyone have an original gas heater for the Snow Trac? I just purchased #291 and would like to put a gas heater back in it. Were they made by Eberspacher? I would like to purchase one if possible and manuals too. Thanks in advance.

nikos

I am in the procedure to fix the gas heater BN2 (Eberspacher) in my Snow Trac. It works but i need to replace the 12V fuel pump Hardi E57. No feed fuel to the gas heater, and I couldn't find the diaphragm Solenoid Valve kit.
Anyway i am not the right guy, as an auto electrician technician with experience in diagnostics, to chech or to repair the installation of electrical systems.
But i know the right guy for this job................ to be continued.

Nikos

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC05303.JPG
    DSC05303.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC08429 - Αντίγραφο.JPG
    DSC08429 - Αντίγραφο.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 432

nikos

THE BN2 GAS HEATER
Page 1, 2, 3, 4.

Attachments

• N1.jpg
    N1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 424
  • N2.jpg
    N2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 424
  • N3.jpg
    N3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 418
  • N4.jpg
    N4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 413

nikos

page 5, 6, 7, 8,

Attachments

• N5.jpg
    N5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 413
  • N6.jpg
    N6.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 415
  • N7.jpg
    N7.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 403
  • N8.jpg
    N8.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 414

nikos

page 9, 10, 11, 12,

Attachments

• N9.jpg
    N9.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 424
  • N10.jpg
    N10.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 424
  • N11.jpg
    N11.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 416
  • N12.jpg
    N12.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 417

nikos

Page 13, 14, 15, 16.

Attachments

• N13.jpg
    N13.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 415
  • N14.jpg
    N14.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 404
  • N15.jpg
    N15.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 410
  • N16.jpg
    N16.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 406

nikos

page 17,18,19,20,21.

Attachments

• N17.jpg
    N17.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 398
  • N18.jpg
    N18.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 399
  • N19.jpg
    N19.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 401
  • N20.jpg
    N20.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 402
  • N21.jpg
    N21.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 401

nikos

page 22, 23, 24, 25, 26a 26b.

Nikos

Attachments

• N22.jpg
    N22.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 395
  • N23.jpg
    N23.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 390
  • N24.jpg
    N24.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 393
  • N25.jpg
    N25.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 386
  • N26 (1).jpg
    N26 (1).jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 391
  • N26 (2).jpg
    N26 (2).jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 405

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure but think that heater was responsible for burning up a few snow tracks so you mite think twice bout really using it. My machine warms up pretty good with the stock heatin system and Don in Nome just uses the the machine heater wit good luck
If your running it a 10 below it be good to have but who wants to be out at 10 below!
I have to do it for work I sure as hell ain't going to do it for fun!
Don will chime in I am sure
I got a Manuel if you want it shoot me a pm

luvthemvws

Fear not the Gas Heater, for thine art just like the furnace in your house.
Do a Google search for "ark mirvis heaterman". You will no doubt find several links to thesamba.com where there are several forum discussions about gas heaters (which were factory original equipment in many VW models).
With a modest amount of maintenance they can work very nicely.
There are several models used in certificated aircraft as well.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the espacher heater used in the snow trac was different from the southwind in the bugs. the southwind was much more reliable. the espbacher was also used in busses the espbacher is a rare bird as,the early heaters had blower fan issues that contributed to fires. if you want an affordable combustion heater look on e-bay fro heaters made in Russia under the name planeair ( I think I spelled it right) they run on diesel and will run all day on a half gallon. there is really no need for additional heat if your heater boxes are in good shape and the heat is as instantaneous as combustion heater

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure but think that heater was responsible for burning up a few snow tracks so you mite think twice bout really using it. My machine warms up pretty good with the stock heatin system and Don in Nome just uses the the machine heater wit good luck
If your running it a 10 below it be good to have but who wants to be out at 10 below!
I have to do it for work I sure as hell ain't going to do it for fun!
Don will chime in I am sure
I got a Manuel if you want it shoot me a pm
10 below it was 27 below for me last week started yesterday at -10 when I went to bed temo was up to 15 blowing about 40 and snowing now its up to around 30 still snowing.

willd

You guys are brave as hell. I can't imagine sitting next to a gasoline bomb like that. Not with my luck around fire and gasoline.

Even the new crap we get that lights harder than diesel fuel, I'm still too chicken to have a gas line sitting next to me in an aluminum tube with only 2 possible exits.

nikos

the espacher heater used in the snow trac was different from the southwind in the bugs. the southwind was much more reliable. the espbacher was also used in busses the espbacher is a rare bird as,the early heaters had blower fan issues that contributed to fires. if you want an affordable combustion heater look on e-bay fro heaters made in Russia under the name planeair ( I think I spelled it right) they run on diesel and will run all day on a half gallon. there is really no need for additional heat if your heater boxes are in good shape and the heat is as instantaneous as combustion heater

thanks to Don
Planar Air Heater 4DM-12, diesel air heater made in Russia.

http://en.autoterm.ru/airheater.html

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=21828.0

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/planar-diesel-fired-air-heaters-for-sale.691362/

Nikos

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone have an original gas heater for the Snow Trac? I just purchased #291 and would like to put a gas heater back in it. Were they made by Eberspacher? I would like to purchase one if possible and manuals too. Thanks in advance.

my buddie was at a vw show and said he they are always a few for sale.
But the make a few different models webastco is the make. the one in my pistenbully is diesel and you add a small fuel tank to the fuel line.
jim

OldShopTeacher

Nikos, thanks for all your work in posting the manual. I can't figure out how to post pictures yet! I was able to get an album together on my home page. One last request, could you take a picture of the Eberspacher ID plate? Is you heater a 6 or 12 volt? Thanks again for your help.

nikos

Nikos, thanks for all your work in posting the manual. I can't figure out how to post pictures yet! I was able to get an album together on my home page. One last request, could you take a picture of the Eberspacher ID plate? Is you heater a 6 or 12 volt? Thanks again for your help.

OldShopTeacher.
The ID Plate. As you can see the Eberspacher heater is 12 volt.

The heater is another part inside the cabin of the ST4 that i would like to make it function. I dont know if i want to use it, even if the fuel tank with the 0,5 gallon it is outside of the cabin.
Anyway its a great opportunity for me to study the manual, and a chance to see or to realize how it works, and thats why i will try to start and replace the fuel pump and some of the wires with a guy that his father was the main technician in that kind of VW heaters.:hammer::hammer:

I know that in the market there are too many modern functionally equivalents heaters like Webasto 12V etc but at this time I am not thinking about anything. I am here with the Eberspacher.

Nikos

Attachments

• DSC06922?.JPG
    DSC06922?.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC06922? - ?????????.JPG
    DSC06922? - ?????????.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC09735.JPG
    DSC09735.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 281

OldShopTeacher

OldShopTeacher.
The ID Plate. As you can see the Eberspacher heater is 12 volt.

The heater is another part inside the cabin of the ST4 that i would like to make it function. I dont know if i want to use it, even if the fuel tank with the 0,5 gallon it is outside of the cabin.
Anyway its a great opportunity for me to study the manual, and a chance to see or to realize how it works, and thats why i will try to start and replace the fuel pump and some of the wires with a guy that his father was the main technician in that kind of VW heaters.:hammer::hammer:

I know that in the market there are too many modern functionally equivalents heaters like Webasto 12V etc but at this time I am not thinking about anything. I am here with the Eberspacher.

Nikos

Nikos, thanks for taking those pictures, they tell me what I needed to know. I think you will be able to get the old heater running, they are very simple and safe. I have worked on hundreds of gas heaters since the 70's, mostly South Winds but the Eberspachers are a good heater too.

I've seen dozens of VW's burn because of the fuel line inlet to the carburetor on the engine, but in all my 40 plus years of VW and gas heater service I've never seen a burned gas heater! I know people are worried about these heaters but they should be more concerned about the VW engine and always carry a charged fire extinguisher.

Thanks again for all your help, looking forward to getting #291 back on the snow.

OldShopTeacher

Really excited, just purchased a NOS B2 Eberspacher gas heater! It will be great having one back in the ST. In VW's I really like being able to heat the interior of the car or bus before starting it which melts any ice on the windows. Open the door, get a blast of hot air, fire up the engine and drive off on cold days!!!! Not to mention cold weather sitting in the woods or lake without the engine running.

If you are using a propane heater, one by product of burning propane is H2O and will fog up the inside of the windows. But a gas heater brings in outside dry air and heats it, that's what the square hole is for on the drivers side. Exhaust goes out under the fender to the back. No inside fumes and extra fresh air.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Old shop teacher, take heart they do wonderful things in a burn unit now
My friend that lived it said it really got you attation when they scraped that old skin off on the plus side he had really pretty nurses.

Fear not the Gas Heater, for thine art just like the furnace in your house.
Do a Google search for "ark mirvis heaterman". You will no doubt find several links to thesamba.com where there are several forum discussions about gas heaters (which were factory original equipment in many VW models).
With a modest amount of maintenance they can work very nicely.
There are several models used in certificated aircraft as well.

They are not like your furnace in your house or at least my house cause my house doesn't moter Down the trail and over hill and dale swamp wood lot lake and the beer joint and etc.

my furnace at home uses natural gas and and my stove unless we have a earth quake they are in one place I have the furnace serviced yearly. I know where the gas line comes in from the street to the house I am aware that if I smell rotten eggs get out and call the gas company

I don't take anything for granted esp around anything that combustible

I am with Wild gas alu tube one exit ?me na.........don't think so

Don got a good idea, our Russian friends mite have a good product and that be what I would use! make a deal with em, we will use your heater and the Russian stay out of our elections:)

Niclo puts some protection round that gas line coming threw side panel befor you get a hole rubbed threw it and your own gas leak
Want it in good shape when I show up for a ride and if there's few pretty girls around all the better!
3512b

OldShopTeacher

Nikos, you have been a huge help getting the heater installed properly, may I ask a couple more favors of you? I haven't seen any pictures of what the outside
of the intake looks like, does it have some sort of frame and mesh on the outside of the Snow-Trac? I'm talking about the square hole on the outside wall. And where were the controls mounted? Did they use a timer for the run time on the heater?

Thanks again,
Rick Taylor

nikos

I haven't seen any pictures of what the outside of the intake looks like, does it have some sort of frame and mesh on the outside of the Snow-Trac? I'm talking about the square hole on the outside wall. And where were the controls mounted? Did they use a timer for the run time on the heater?

Thanks again,
Rick Taylor

The outside of the intake. The square hole in black
OldShopTeacher Forgive me, I am too busy lately. Iam working in a project the last month and i did have the time and the opportunity to took the right picture. Thats why the photo's aren't so clear.
But as you see there is a sort of frame on the outside of the Snow Trac.
About the controls. The heater is controlled by pulling the Knob on the dash.
(The orange wire in the foto) Surely there is a timer for the run, The Air Blower and the Glow - Heater Plug are working fine, but i don't know exactly how it works with the fuels - with the new fuel pump. About the thermoswitch, the overheating switch, the Jet carrier, the spiral coils of the resistance, and the juction box for the electric cables and the other details about the run time, i must ask the electrician.

I am working so hard in a project, until the end of March, and that's why i didnt realize that the snow is gone.
But the winter is still here. It is raining outside, and it,s snowing on the mountain.

Nikos

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 189

nikos

The controls - the orange wire.

Nikos

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 184

jask

That is true, but that is the only one I have seen with original seat cushion, did you notice the Westeråsmaskiner embossed logo on the cushions!! Very nice looking machine there.

OldShopTeacher

Scored a NOS eberspacher B2 complete with new switch that is the same model as the ones used in the Snow Trac. Also scored a used B2 out of a Snow Trac that has the air distribution box! I'll duplicate the distribution box so both of my Snow Tracs can have a running gas heater again.

6yL2z2XIzec7GEFTwnh4ivW4tB1xbGdNTmaKHwOCKyOS6s2yIZW6mjupPWhUZuEs2URKQ8lNr23msXbMG-Fv3CgzZuZVmeBZXAACflTxJU52yir_uwvibs52oVkY4cStTKjeD5FBQMY8SkoEAxqWfPjc_qSvq0U0kTtwIB68l7lW_vSXCNJysaV6MI012bJJ0IPyj9COiUEk3yDBzxrnqddcR8QNmJREFZEG3o3rLJGkhYJLWWYQvqVodYEDf-OwqdmyAh2wiZU9heCnhjSoCjpmb7Aogo-NOkINMP1uv3wKCdFyiPC4fSY1ImumOFSolVaqnTiM1owraTaFqXuBFmDL19oeEtbYfngfEr4uCuM2J5HPPT4cQmExcl8wl78rclwFWOGkl4jUka9aqunl-y7dgLAVqexlYCpIT9D_jp348PJW3adwYJUr5TeO6uKLnc_CY7VeGWbq_eLKkkOIz6nPOZp4j0fptvrgzCz4YBWGACNJ1OakgkbUl9vzY9cDIkda-CzoVznLlZ9dHeTOitx5A1xBHEoOUoMqiMckUPHikfZ9HChq8DbEyXMhLJTDKBe6eMA98TLsPKrUF-1xIBHqT32Sy4gJa7RmoHD8KZfdQs68r5U=w830-h622-no

T3GXB1ehaU0ZDIl9rMbPdfvDjETj6yvHNMgYNH3y3ahZ72ffMGGTfvSL9MPqyYf3NmTTNCHXrBbE-lef6AAfSLxSTBYBUtaQIKHCDQEfHMuEAzmLuGk7JE3QmY5C7XKh-MQ4Wi4zgsEC0VnMZcyPbNwZaU80tb3y0OovhfiKuFqTPQxCM9cutq0dT0TrSmKOtvZ0ngojTtLlbNuBBMTcUdenzjB92prN6L2IWgrz9mGaSxNIcnBmIpNXWuPFJ6fStmy3lCkvZEbRUxUvIk0T9q6q5d-JjXp-5HpHLH_nF45sR4pYTow9mGbVIvIkPQHrmPx_hF59TWuaSP8W8oRko70maPXqznUEUwtCSBBQo9-SdhaB2pCLfxuGNOUvlC2juirPQ7qhBPufc82pJDSzMdaZbE0lsgqx5-uh0sT-7PJB7vb39Zbi8L_AO1nd3iNl8tECpEgIXj4kRYWN2h7pJBqSmlpC2WgSAL-tYKiKSv3rKDa4GAOvogPi2oXAJK8UmmfCeP9gv_sTXSy9V2yGTjJhd1IdOG8qBdsopCwVwV8xMmwleHJqberhZwvP4WRUNOQOoEG4x-BK7Ih9r7NTxD1PF2-5-okub0NH9B_9JBdiHI0=w830-h622-no

_NpP7X1ybxZe6uGOloTQaNb1g8F2uJPJ_Pr57mLhjOdUxsyB4cUXYiSw526Gj-DTvIjlDWcJxwCRKJRx6udzA_P76E5WhxymJ7wysA818k4Gkl-cB35l7BDEW1AmqkLVEkdcihZh8K-tgG2ztpw0zXdlDfDBjXitKfIsQ234r9zmrdVHIBmgdkNbMUdT1mHTXT41DzZ4eOCw5uUB3tJooxoXQqXER3BhPxCvatJVmoRw2Jdnia-2z0co6aTzUzCWMZdQtbWyAodd4PvcC3RdqEfhDaDfIWQES-xOWy9eS7k7iPzq_iOGMhBjS1LdFdWPBxH64o8rm5oicvPzkBiVe7DhVhXt4OlSswf-KESkjBxyRbjn6kWS1xHHJrz0KCGZ5feN-Mb1goWeHf3Jox9eb6O5knkJrdoFTvOkcI24NEe2TMtqvziGkCj9O28aHWdhH6nj5H6haLz45-99YXqCjNY3AvePYqRUUNUiovU8w3U6twlxHhh866d3r21w8wp_zr4UYIhfUkIW51nBWWXRzV8Ai52CQgZWN2qIVkFLUN-CmIURpycWvyP517wdnAVEkyRZXHpgZX6FFLudcJTViHkvhhtrjmvKoS1bGatQx5cV3BxyJdQ=w830-h622-no