• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Doors freezing shut - poor choice in weatherstriping

zspryte

Site Supporter
I replaced the weather striping a few years ago on my Spryte with striping made from EPDM Closed Cell Sponge rubber. No more leaks, but when the seals get wet from rain or snow and the temperature drops, the seals freeze to the body and I cannot always get the doors open. Anybody know any tricks to keep them freezing to the body? Also, would silicone seals work better?

Over 250 inches of snow in January so far so any replacement project is going to have to wait to spring.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
we used to spray dump boxes down with glycol to keep snow from sticking in them. if it works for a shift that way should work for a season on a snow cat

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I've sprayed my door seals with Petro 90 and that works good, WD-40 works also but seems to not last as long.

zspryte

Site Supporter
Silicone sounds like the solution. I found a WD-40 product called water resistant silicone lubricant in a spray can. It does not have any petroleum products in it that will degrade EPDM rubber. I saturated the stripping with out, put some on the frame and let it dry for a while. I will see how it works shortly...