• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Hydraulic remote lines for drag design help

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got this drag working well on my 442. I have it rigged up manual for now but want to make it hydraulic again.

Right now I have two extra hydraulic lines short looped back to the tank. I want to send one down back. It is 1/2 npt I belive and then the drag uses 3/8?

Can I just step it down with a reducer and have no problems?

Also I want to use a selenoid remote for the control instead of bringing the hydraulics up into the cab with a manual lever. I have one last spot on the switch panel and can put in a momentary up and down on it.

I have no experience with this type of setup so help is appreciated. Looks like northern has what I need but different flow rates.

The piston has almost a 36" throw but it is only 3" or so. Drag is not huge.

The shaft also has some light surface rust on the part of the piston that was exposed sitting out all these years. What is the best way to handle the cleaning or is it a problem?

Thanks

teamster

You'll have no problem stepping down from 1/2 to 3/8. Is the hydraulic cylinder single acting or double? 1 hose or 2? Take some emery cloth and polish the rust off, if the shaft is pitted your external seal may leak a bit. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you have a spare hose running back to the tank.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
unless i'm missing something you will need both hoses 1 will be pressure to the valve and one will be dump back to the tank. electronic spools aren't uncommon and should suit your needs well use a plastic plug when connecting the harness to the vehicle the pot metal ones seem to rot out way too fast.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dual hose double acting cyl. Pump has three outputs one is used steering the other two just loop back because there is nothing for them to be used on currently. When I bought it one set did go out back.

So one hose down to the solenoid valve one back. From he solenoid two hoses to the piston one for in and one for out. 3/8 fitting on piston.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I need to see a pic of your pump most tuckers use a vtm Vickers for steering ,I would think you have to have some kind of priority valve or you will be limited to one function at a time. maybe that is where you are getting your loop, because you should have one hose out on the pump and one back to the return hose ,going to the tank. the double acting cylinder just means you need a 2 way valve i.m betting this loop thingy is a poor mans way to block off pressure ports

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pic of pump. Line in the back closest to engine block is the one I will send down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 256

Kristi Kt-4

I am thinking that Don is talking about a selector valve like the one below the Tucker emblem.

Attachments

• 20150128_143951.jpg
    20150128_143951.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 241

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
your pump is plumbed wrong the way it is set up you are going to rob steering power when you try to adjust the drag. I would get rid of the Christmas tree than go with an electro over hydraulic pump like a monarch pump. that will fix all your problems you will be able to remote control it electrically, and no need to run all the hydraulics just put a 12 volt battery box on your drag

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I would go with a two way monarch pump if you have some one dealing in heavy equipment salvage you might find a 12 volt model for an add on pin puller I think that would be just what you need it will have all your valving pump and motor all in one.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So looks like I can get dump trailer double acting pump for 320$ and add a wireless later for 130$.

Next question is what size reservoir? 3 quarts up to gallons.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
So looks like I can get dump trailer double acting pump for 320$ and add a wireless later for 130$.

Next question is what size reservoir? 3 quarts up to gallons.

you aren't running continuous 3 quarts should be fine unless you have leaks remember the double acting cylinder is going to refill the reservoir as the other side takes fluid from it.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got my parts. What's best setup?

Pump sae #6 straight to either 1/4 or 3/8 npt hose
Piston 3/8 npt

Do I step up at pump or piston?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can I block off the two extra ports at the pump and have it auto bypass or do I need the return lines to the tank for the un used pirts?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I drop the hammer atf comes out of lid screw and vent. Garret reservoir . What is the solution?

Screw I can seal but vent?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 66