• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4 stroke evinrude help

duomo96

1991 4 stroke evinrude fuel injected rough idle, eventually warms up runs fine for 5 minutes then hot light comes on. plugs are tan, fresh gas, new fuel line,filter, and bulb.. Thermostat??

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I am not mistaken there is a lift pump for the water to the engine. It is not the engine water pump, just a small pump used to lift the water to the engine. On some engines if the engine is started out of the water, it only takes a few seconds of dry operation, for the rubber impeller to melt and it stops pumping. Check a parts manual or operators manual for evidence of a lift pump. It explains your symtems perfectly. I had the inssue on an I/O years ago.

Hope this helps,
Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ditto. I do think Kirk nailed it.
My SIL just had a similar issue with his Four Winns two weekends ago. It was the sea water pump impeller.

Kane

First question: is the motor peeing? No, check impeller or thermostat

Second question: where do you live? If not in Alaska, discard the thermostat.

Third question: still running hot? Yes, replace impeller.