• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Will high-pressure water ruin mower spindle bearings?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found what seems to be the greatest thing since bottled beer... but unsure of whether the bearings could get ruined.

To clean out the underside of a mower deck, while keeping the mower at operating speed, hover the mower deck over a puddle where the water is just at the height where the blades pick it up and thrust it upwards thus cleaning out the deck.

My concern with this approach is mainly the amount of water that can get into the bearings. How well are they sealed? If you greased after this approach, would there be any harm?

Not as much a concern but just wondering, how much would the blades get dulled from skimming across the top of the water?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cub cadet has a water nozzle built into the deck. I use my pressure washer to clean mine several times a year.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Cub cadet has a water nozzle built into the deck. I use my pressure washer to clean mine several times a year.

Are you spinning your blades whilst doing this?

I would have to say in my opinion you are dulling your blades.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They recommend running the hose while the blades are spinning. I never use it. I pull my deck a few times a year and turn it over and clean it good with the pressure washer.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I raise mine with my loader and pull it up to my height. Besides the dam thing weighs about 500 pounds.:hammer::hammer: Hate the dam thing for putting on and taking off.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Toro has a wash out fitting on their decks.
They recommend running the blades while the water is running. However, the bearings used in the spindle is a non greasable sealed bearing.
I can't say I've seen a wash out system on a greaseable spindle.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I raise mine with my loader and pull it up to my height. Besides the dam thing weighs about 500 pounds.:hammer::hammer: Hate the dam thing for putting on and taking off.

What kind of a mower deck do you have you have to use your loader thcri ? Just curious I just adjust the top link shorter & raise it all the way up with the 3 point , gives me plenty of room to power wash the deck or take the blades off to sharpen or if there not to bad i,ll touch them up with a grinder . I just shore it up with braces in case the hydraulics fail though .

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You can buy those washout fittings at Lowes now. At least at my local Lowes you can. ;)

I just scrape every so often.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a mid mount New Holland 914A 72" side discharge.

That explains it , Thanks I,ve never had anything other then the 3 point type except for the rider . I,ve allways wondered about the MM,s though sure seems like it would be unhandy but lots of people have them .

Sorry for another dumb question but are they PTO driven as well where you unhook the driveshaft ? Just curious . :smile:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
PTO driven. I have a mid front PTO on my tractor. As for mowing the mid mower deck is much nicer for mowing especially around trees. But the rear 3 point is much better for taking on and off. Mine takes about twenty minutes to put on. Sliding it from the side and I also have the under bar for Super-Steer which means I have to drive the tractor up on blocks to get the height.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
For what it is worth, your bearings are sealed, unless you are putting your HP spray right into the bearing seal, there is little chance of it being an issue. When it is running, the water is flung out off the shaft anyway, not traveling up into the bearing seal/shaft.

Now if you were driving into a duck pond, and the mower sank, the pressure of the water from all directions may be an issue, but the watery duck crap will play more havoc with the engine running than a little water in the bearings.... Something about a hydraulic lock when the water gets into the piston areas and the engine comes to a sudden and complete stop...

Otherwise keep cleaning it the way you are and "If" there is a grease zirc on the bearing, then pump in a shot after each washing, if not, then don't worry about it.