• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

442+2 tell me what ya think

Eric L

Site Supporter
:burp: :1062:

so I was working :drink: in the shop the other day, and I had this crazy Idea.
Chop the back off my 442 and make it a crew cab. I looked at it and I dont think it would be any harder than some of the other restos around here. I would remove the old skins and probly sell them. Make ney sides and dorrs (4) with modern sliding windows.

this is my pitiful attempt at foto-paint, but it shows the idea. If ya save 'em to your HD and toggle between the two you can see the differences real easy. I thought about making a animated gif out of the two, but dont really know how.

flame suit on

Eric

Attachments

• kidscat.jpg
    kidscat.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 442+2.JPG
    442+2.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 203

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Eric,
I kinda like the curved look. Gives it a nice look . Is there a door in the back now ?

Eric L

Site Supporter
A: Well to be honest, I dont like the curved look, it does have a practical purpose though...you can stand up before you step out.

B: I'd have the only one.

C: I would like to have a cargo area back there to haul beer and Snow Trac and Kristi parts

Eric

Vance

Eric,

I like the rounded look and would hate to see you cut up that clean 443.

But, If you did need to get the crew cab look what about making it more like a 423 but with the 4 doors like you want?

Just a thought. Here's a pic of a 423 and a cab'd out 743 for reference:

jmho,

Vance

Attachments

• 343.jpg
    343.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 183
  • d4_1.jpg
    d4_1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 180

dseymour

Eric
If you sno cat has a door in the back i think it is a 443.
I have a 442 that i would like to add on more cab space, and a back door to make it a 443. This job would be easy to do, but it may lower the value of the cat with out a 443 on the serial tag.
One more thing you want to remember frozen beer is hard to drink and being on the back you will have to get out of the cat, for your next one.

Eric L

Site Supporter
Vance said:
Eric,

But, If you did need to get the crew cab look what about making it more like a 423 but with the 4 doors like you want?

Just a thought. Here's a pic of a 423 and a cab'd out 743 for reference:

jmho,

Vance

:confused2: I'm not sure what you mean...423?? I see a 343 and what looks like a 342 in that photo. Would I buy a 442 to make a crew cab? sure.

who's got one with a trashed body that I dont have to feel gulty about cutting up?

And that 700 series that was on ebay is partly to blame for my idea. Interesting thing about that one, I found reference in tucker brochures to model 742 Tuckers, but never seen one...did they ever make a 742?

Vance

Oops,

I of course meant 343 in the reference. Imagine the white 343 with 4 (or 5) doors.

Seems like you could take your 443 and hack out a couple feet and add two additional side doors. It would have the profile of the white 343 but have 5 doors.

I still think you should leave it like it is. If you want a pickup style then buy another cat!!

:thumb:

Vance

Eric L

Site Supporter
OK, I asked, and you guys answered. thanks for the input.

I wont cut it up, I didn't think it would be a popular idea.

Sooner or later I plan to repower it with an american V-8 of undetermined displacement... you guys would forgive me for that, right? What if I reainted it something other than CalTrans orange?

Regarding buying another machine, I'm always looking, but its gonna have to be the right unit, in the right place, for the right price. I got lucky once, maybe it can happen again.

Eric

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Eric L said:
Sooner or later I plan to repower it with an american V-8 of undetermined displacement... you guys would forgive me for that, right?
One thing that I've noticed about the old snowcats is that Tucker is really the only brand out there that has any potential value as a collectable or a classic.

The little Snow Tracs are plentiful and capable, but really have no collector interest. They are popular because they can be maintained and used. The Kristi units are so rare and so odd that people really don't know what they are, most of their history is lost or at least unpublished, and they are essentially oddities. The Thiokols/DMC/LMC machines are still workhorses seeing daily use, much like the Snow Tracs. It seems like they get used until they die, then get stripped for parts to keep others running.

Tuckers are unique because they are still in business. Also because they have survived from the very earliest years of snowcatting to the most modern. From the early front ski units with dual rear tracks to the most capabable Antarctic explorers, Tucker has seen it all. The steel tracked Tuckers have a "classic" look yet a capable core.

With all that said, it seems like it would be a shame to cut one up.

Then again there were very few arguements about BigAl's restoration and improvements of the only Krisit KT7 known to exist. He was been very critical of some aspects of that unit and has moderinzed it at every chance when any safety or performance issue has come up. The interior has been upgraded for comfort and convenience. So while the Kristi is rare and unique, I think 99% of the people supported each improvement Al made to the Kristi.

Bob Lowe (Arlow) in British Columbia did a moderization of his Snow Trac and people loved it. (LINK : Arlow's Moderization Thread) Gordon Robertson did a historic restoration of his Snow Trac and people loved that. (LINK : Gordon's Restoration Thread) But I'd say that more people were positive about Arlow's improvements and upgrades than were impressed by the skill and care that it took Gordon to do an accurate and complete restoration.

It is interesting to see the opposition by so many to your intended modification given you unit is far more common than BigAl's Kristi.