• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi starter

Dakota Kid

Anyone had any luck changing the field windings from aluminum to copper. I replaced the brushes now I am having trouble connecting the new brushes to the fields

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
one wire was to light going to the starter causing problems. if your working on the starter.

Dakota Kid

I have the 1.6 Ford. The problem is I tried to replace the brushes not realizing the field windings are aluminum and the brush leads are copper am now having a problem getting a strong solder joint from the aluminum fields to the copper brush leads

not sure where u go and what you do with your cat----but---go buy a new one---ill be dammmmmmmed if iam going to walk over a bad starter-----I had to install a new alt. this fall and when I had it out I also changed the starter----another thing I do is never shut mine off when iam not at home---I let it idle with the heat on----not starting and frozen doors suck

The 1.6L is a Ford Industrial industrial model and as I recall takes a starter specifically to that model and is mounted on the opposite side of the same engine found in the pintos and capris of the day. The parts book lists the original starter as a Lucas L.H. mount(exhaust side) P/N 71BB-11000-EA and then in the parts breakdown for the starter the following starters are listed: Lucas 75AB-11000-AA and -BA.

When I first bought my Bombi, which was also my first snowcat, I found it was a mixed match of original engine parts and parts bought from Napa for the 1.6L put into Pintos. I had all sorts of performance issues and then found out the difference between the Pinto engines and the industrial engines put into the Bombi. At the time there was an industrial ford parts dealer where I lived and he helped me get all the correct parts like carb, distributor, starter and manuals. With the correct parts the engine was very reliable and had good performance.

I would either take your old starter into a rebuild shop that specializes in rebuilding electrical components or hunt down a ford industrial parts dealer and see if a new application exists. Lucas products have a poor reputation so another manufacturer would be a blessing. BTW the model of the Industrial 1.6L is: KSG-416

they also used those motors in forklifts -------if you do some research on what kind of stuff had those motors you will find parts----I have a pull behind comp.--4 cyl. ih in it I found parts for it that way----I get my parts at napa

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I always told the parts guy I had the first year pinto was made.

Dakota Kid

Thanks for all the help and information guys. I got the starter fixed (temporarily) by partially flattening a wire connector, slipping it over the field connector bar and drilling small hole through both and squeezed together with small screw. I also ordered used lucas starter for parts

here is a number of the guy I use----this guys shop is one scary place but he is the best I have ever found----I have some older equipment and he has always fixed my starters----starters and alt is all he does----if you tell him your story iam sure he will help you out in some way-----I think in your case if he can get you a starter ---buy it---hell buy 2---lol----315-826-7892----gary sneath-----he is in upstate new york