• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp Restore Started

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Finally got my super Imp home, started to tear into it. Found right side floor rusted out, cleaned up and bent new floor pan and welded in place. Built a new Oak rack for bed, also plan on replacing aluminum diamond plate on bed . Brakes seem good will do more work on them soon . Starts and runs out great. Rats chewed up wiring pretty badly am currently working on that project. Here are a couple of pictures of the beginning of a neat project.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,151
  • IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,135
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,138
  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,144

snowbird

Re: Imp Retore Started

Looks like a good, solid start of your project. Hope you have as much fun working on your project as I had working on mine. I think my Bombardier was in tougher shape than your Imp.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Started working on the IMP, here are some photos so far of what it looked like and what I have done to date.

Found the rubber weather strip at NAPA Auto Parts store. Built new aluminum battery box, replacing aluminum bed, replaced bed rails,working on interior and having gas tank boiled at radiator shop.

So far its been good to get it to where it is, looking forward to completion before snow flies here.

:pee_smilie:

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,021
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,016

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Here are a few more photos, I have the windows out and am getting it ready for painting. The seats are being reupholstered and am carpeting the interior. Replaced rubber shift boot on shifter and gauges on dash. Working on building some track cleats myself.Finished the rails and the decking and added a diamond plate tool box. I had the gas tank boiled at local radiator shop, changed all fluids and filters. The machine is running good.

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 895
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 923
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 916

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Here are few more photos of the Imp. Insulating of the engine covers, carpeting the interior and getting closer to painting and getting the seats back. The insulation is 1" thick foil back with adhesive on the backside. DB Engineering is who manufactures it. :winterrul

Attachments

• IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2662.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_2669.jpg
    IMG_2669.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_2671.jpg
    IMG_2671.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 763

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some updated photos of the Super IMP I have been working on. I had the cat soda blasted and then repainted, replaced the windows, got the seats back from being reupholstered, finished carpeting in interior.

Its not finished but it is getting there. Looking forward to running it, the snow is finally flying.:snow2_smi:

Attachments

• js640_Copy_of_IMG_2898.jpg
    js640_Copy_of_IMG_2898.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 684
  • js640_IMG_2904.jpg
    js640_IMG_2904.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 684
  • js640_IMG_2901.jpg
    js640_IMG_2901.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 683
  • js640_Copy_of_IMG_2900.jpg
    js640_Copy_of_IMG_2900.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 683
  • js640_Copy_of_IMG_2899.jpg
    js640_Copy_of_IMG_2899.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 682
  • js640_Copy_of_IMG_2897.jpg
    js640_Copy_of_IMG_2897.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 692

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks BigAl Will need all the prayers I can get!! Hope you are all having a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a great NEW YEAR!

weatherby

That is a very nice job that you did:thumb: I can't wait to get my restro to that point and looking as nice as yours. Good job

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Ditto! Great looking cat. Reminds me allot of my restore but without the paint job. http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=10193&highlight=Super I needed mine for work. I will look for the link to my thread. I too installed engine cover insulation. NIGHT and DAY diffrence! Watch the clearance on the air cleaner. Also you may want to duplicate what I did on my cover. The original insulation was also about 1" and had fallen down over the years. I went a slightly diffrent route but so far it works perfect! No falling insulation. GREAT LOOKING SUPER IMP! What did the paint job cost you? I'm going to have mine painted this year.

Last edited:

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Very good looking job so far! Did you do anything with the engine/drive system?

The engine has 964 hours and runs great, did replace all hoses, belts, fluids, plug wires, spark plugs, points, caps, rotater, cleaned carbuerator, rewired as mice had ate thru the wiring, all new gauges and sending units, rear main seal and pan gaskets.

As for the rearend, I pulled the top cover and checked Brake bands, put new oil, seems to be ok. Everything looked good in there. This machine had just had a major going thru 100 hours ago from Prinoth, a sno cat shop in town.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
IWhat did the paint job cost you? I'm going to have mine painted this year.

We had it Soda Blasted for $200 down to bare metal and then painted at a local paint shop for $1060, I had already done any of the body work needed, that was strictly paint and labor. It turned out really good, and I am happy with it. It was hard to find someone that wanted to actually paint it, they all wanted to use farm/implement paint, did not quite get what I wanted. This guy understood what I was looking for and did it.

I did use a previous posts as a guide to the insulating of the engine compartment. Sure cuts down on the noise and heat, I used the DB Engineering self sticking foil backed insulation, great stuff.

Thanks!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The paint came out very well, and the price was reasonable too.

I suspect the carpet, weatherstrip and insulation quieted it down a bit too. Very nice job. I'm going to have to look into the foil back insulation you used. Do you have a link to a supplier?

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
The paint came out very well, and the price was reasonable too.

I suspect the carpet, weatherstrip and insulation quieted it down a bit too. Very nice job. I'm going to have to look into the foil back insulation you used. Do you have a link to a supplier?

Thanks!

The website I ordered the DB Engineering Engine compartment insulation is www.cabinsulation.com

I used part #FF40AHR4A 1" Mylar Film Foam W/4A and EDGE TAPE 2" x 72yds.

The rubber for around the windows and to build the side sliders was purchased thru www.crlaurence.com. I ended up having to set up an account to purchase thru them, they sell to business' only.

For the back glass and the sliders in this machine, I used tinted glass, I think it turned out well.

cabinboy

Congrat's you have turned that old tired cat into a fine looking machine. That is one fine looking job you have done on your super imp.:thumb::thumb:

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Cabinboy!,Iam thinking about building a grill/brush gaurd for front of Imp to protect lights. Also would like to build headache rack for bed, to help for tying in equipment and also mounting of a couple spare tire/wheels. Here are a few photos of Imp as is.:smile:

Attachments

• js640_IMG_3026.jpg
    js640_IMG_3026.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 637
  • js640_IMG_3028.jpg
    js640_IMG_3028.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 637
  • js640_IMG_3029.jpg
    js640_IMG_3029.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 638
  • js640_IMG_3031.jpg
    js640_IMG_3031.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 630
  • js640_IMG_3035.jpg
    js640_IMG_3035.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 630

cabinboy

Your Imp looks great !!!! If you put on a grill guard make one with a 2inch reciever so you can plug in a winch. Just in case she has to pull a kristi or a snot trac.:clap::clap::clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice cat!!! Just one observation though.....in the last pic on post #22(the front shot) I noticed that the front idlers are different on each side. Why is that?

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
groomerguyNWO, Not to sure myself why they are not the same I beleive the right side has been replaced at some point. It dosent seem to affect performance so left it be. Some day may have matching idlers when one or other craps out. Thanks for all the compliments it is definately a work in progress.:smile:

Rampage

Groomer guy, and Wake up call, about the front idlers being different, I think I have the info. When I went up to Petersens Equipment in Logan Utah, they had several Imps that had unmatched front idlers. I asked them why, they said the one that looks like a tire (the drivers side of the cat above) is the original style tire that came on the cats. The one that is a solid pulley looking tire (passenger side in above photo) is a later product. The original one is no longer available, and the new one has been made to replace the original but because its a low demand, single application built product its expensive. So too keep costs down, when people replace them they just do the one. Hope that helps. The salesman said there is no difference in performance. Besides I wouldn't be too worried, most people will only see the back side of a Super Imp when there is snow on the ground.:biggrin:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
groomerguyNWO, Not to sure myself why they are not the same I beleive the right side has been replaced at some point. It dosent seem to affect performance so left it be. Some day may have matching idlers when one or other craps out. Thanks for all the compliments it is definately a work in progress.:smile:

I have the same situation on the front of my cat, and an extra tire type fvront idler wheel that I will change out when I redo the tracks.