• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

For Sale: 1978 Thiokol Model 1450 Super Imp - wide track

byoung

I have a 1978 Thiokol Model 1450 Super Imp for sale (wide track). It is powered by a Ford 200 I-6, with a C-4 auto transmission and OC-12 rear end. The machine is currently used to access back country skiing in north-eastern Nevada. The cab and chassis have been re-done and painted (see photos). Price is $15,500.

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,807
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,726

byoung

Hello Bob,
Yes indeed this is the same machine that appeared in Mike's photos. There are bench seats on the rear deck with room to seat six comfortably, and the payload of the machine is 2,400 lbs. The Tracks are 31 inches wide and the over all width of the machine is seven feet. The empty weight is just over 3,000 lbs and I have towed the machine with a mid-size pickup, it is a very good combination of size and performance.
Brad

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this the same Imp that was also in the photos posted by Mike (Snowcat Operations) when he posted ski trip photos in the Yellow Snow Ski Outing thread? Link to Ski Outing in Elko.

Are those bench seats you have installed on the rear bed?

How wide is a "wide track" Imp? Will it fit on a standard trailer?

EDIT: these posts are out of sequence! Proof that I my moderator editing skills need to be improved. I received a reply to my questions and edited them into the thread so everyone would see the answers. I just can't figure out how to get them into the right sequence.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, who does an Imp compare to a Snow Master?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The Snow Master has a bit more floatation in the deep powdery snow but the Super imp does better in wetter heavier snow (turning is much better). The Snow Master is strickly snow bound where as the Super imp can pretty much go in any terrain. So the Super Imp is an all year machine where as the Snow Master is strickly winter If I had the $15,500 I would buy his machine in a heart beat! This is a steal for a any Super Imp. And his is in top shape (The best I have seen in years) and it has been owned by a GEAR HEAD to boot! Someone who actually enjoys getting grease under his nails! Maintenance from what I have seen personally is above and beyond a typical snowcat owner. I know I will be kicking myself for not being able to get this unit!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Is the owner getting out of the snow cat fun or is he looking at a different snow cat for a replacement? Can you give me a little more info on the maintence of this machine, such as recent repairs or upgrades? How many hours if documented are on the machine? What is the age or conditons of the track belting?

It would be worth more if it was a multi passenger (4 or more) snow cat.

byoung

The owner has purchased a Sprite and does not have enough room in the yard for two machines. My goal in purchasing the Spryte is to build the machine I will die with, this means a ground up restoration with some significant modifications. The 1450 is too clean to modify and there seem to be a lot of people who like them just the way they are.

As far as the 1450 goes the track belting is in very good condition with new lacing/hinges this year. The track tensioners have just been rebuilt, they are a grease pressured piston arrangement, a grease gun is all it takes to adjust track tension. The cab floor has been replaced on the passenger side and the floor on both side has been rust proofed and painted. The cab has been re-painted inside and out. The steering system and OC-12 rear end are in excellent condition. All seals and gaskets in the rear end and axles have been replaced in the past two years. The steering master cyinders have been completely rebuilt. The exhaust system is two seasons old and exits on the right side below the deck behind the cab. The machine has 1420 hours total time and runs very well.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, is this machine still for sale or should we mark it sold?

byoung

Hello Bob,
This machine is still for sale, there is a gentleman interested but he will not be able to look at it until next week.
Thanks.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
byoung said:
Hello Bob,
This machine is still for sale, there is a gentleman interested but he will not be able to look at it until next week.
Thanks.

You may have someone else interested. Look here.

byoung

Hello Bob,
It looks as if this gentleman was not as interested as we thought, the machine is still for sale.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah I should have bought BYOUNGS. BUT I kinda got in a dumb bidding war. Oh well. Its still VERY NICE. BUT BYOUNGS has been freshly painted and has been gone through completely.

byoung

Hello Mike!
Dave called and gave me Don's phone number. Thanks for thinking of me. Our motorcycle rally was cancelled so I didn't get to Ely. Hopefully this winter we will get there. any snow yet?
Brad

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Head on up any time Brad. Bring your Thiokol 1202 or Super Imp and we will hit the hills! Should be some excellent skiing in some very Virgin Snow all year round!