• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stihl Line trimmers

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday I bought a new one, the old Poulan isn't worth messing with..

I bought the KM 110 R...It is a 4 cycle with attachments like a pole saw and roto tiller, edger ect...

I just bought the line trimmer head for now. The 4 cycle engine is better than it sounds. It doen't seem to rev any where nearly as tight as the 2 strokes do. But on the other had it is actually more powerfull than the old 2 stroke when you are in heavy tough brome grass. :biggrin: It is some what surprising as well as quieter than the 2 stroke as well.

You still mix the gas 50:1 like you would for the 2 strokers. It has no crackcase lub suplly and some how puls the fuel air mix through the crankcase.

I though it would be much heavier, but it is not. So far I like it alot! Good power and quiet as well. My first attachment will be the pole saw, for up high tree trimming.:brows:

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/KM110R.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/accessories.html

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I have an FS45 and use it and like it a lot. BUT - If I could go back I would buy a trimmer with a gear box on the head instead of the flexible drive. The gear box allows the use of heavier cutters like brush cutters or edgers to be used.

(The "C" is the easy start option, which I don't have.)

img_easy2start_4.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk,

I too have a Stihl trimmer (FS90). They are as I recall still classified as a 2-stroke engine but they act, sound and drive like a 4-stroke. They call it a 4something but all that comes to mind and I know it's not right is 4matic

Since you're spending money, if you're in need of a blower, I highly recommend their BR550 backpack blower. Man can that thing move air... If you have the chute laying on a stone driveway, just starting it up will make the stones fly away. You can point the chute towards the sky and hover or throw a basketball.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Back when I was fired (they insist I was just laid off - right...) from corporate America almost 20 years ago I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Being that I had a large yard to mow weekly (about 15 acres then), I had a lot of commercial mowing equipment and all my small engine equipment was Stihl brand, I started a mowing service. I'd purchased it all from a pawn shop (had no money after building house) after they'd taken it in from our local county highway department. That mowing service grew so fast that I couldn't keep up with it. The secret? Just mow and trim like you'd do your own lawn. Most jokers do a crappy job and go as fast as they can. I found most people were willing to pay a little more to have a quality job done. Anyway, built that business up enough to sell in one year.

I'm absolutely sure the county highway department ran the crap out of each piece of equipment and you know the operators were not gentle with them. But, I figured that I could fix most anything wrong with them since parts were all still available. Fast forward that 'almost 20 years' and I'm still running all that same Stihl equipment but have added a few items, like their biggest backpack blower, edger and pole chain saw. Nothing has broken. I've not needed to repair anything that I bought from the pawn shop! It ran when I bought it and all of it still runs now.