• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Heirloom tomatoes growing everywhere

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last year i took a pack of seeds and got them started not thinking so many would make it. Ended up with 60+ plants. I took out all the tomatoes I could but some rotted or were funky and not worth harvesting so I let them lay.

Fast forward to this year. Those tomato plants are sprouting up EVERYWHERE. I'd guess I have a few hundred. I started pulling some out and transplanting to a holding area but wondering what the right approach is.

Should I let them come back (which may cause problems around carrots, onions...) or should I yank them? I'm afraid if I don't do something, by next year the whole place will be overgrown with tomatoes and I'll have to start a new garden for everything else.

Thoughts?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Last year i took a pack of seeds and got them started not thinking so many would make it. Ended up with 60+ plants. I took out all the tomatoes I could but some rotted or were funky and not worth harvesting so I let them lay.

Fast forward to this year. Those tomato plants are sprouting up EVERYWHERE. I'd guess I have a few hundred. I started pulling some out and transplanting to a holding area but wondering what the right approach is.

Should I let them come back (which may cause problems around carrots, onions...) or should I yank them? I'm afraid if I don't do something, by next year the whole place will be overgrown with tomatoes and I'll have to start a new garden for everything else.

Thoughts?

A soft winter often does this. Especialy with Heirlooms.
I had one breed continue for five years.

It got to where I counted on it, did not save seed, and then lost it.

You really need to remove the plants as they will perpetuate diseases if allowed to reproduce in the same soils over time.

However, I would plant some of the offspring in another part of the gardenand see what comes from them.

If you ever want to get some wild and crazy maters, have the city dump municiple sewage pellets on your lawn. It seems the tomatoe seeds withstand sewage processing and sprout in the domestic manure.
We used to put the stuff on our lawns and gardens. We got some amazing tomatoe crops in our flower beds

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would save a few but get rid of the rest. They make good ones to pot up for friends who just want a few on the patio.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The plants I've saved so far have been transplanted into the garlic and asparagus bed (which doesn't yet have either since it's too late for one, too early for the other).

These plants and their fruit never were pretty so I won't be passing them out. I'll let many of them continue to grow until they're a burden on something else.