• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sweet Potatoes

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I would like to grow them in my garden this coming year. I have really taken a love for them and no longer eat white potatoes. My only problem is in the past when growing the white potatoes the Potato Beetles have destroyed every plant. I have tried just about every repellant and nothing stops them. I have even used some illegal stuff on the plants to get rid of them and even that didn't stop them. Last year I was successful for a while pulling them off everyday but one day off and they over ran the place. Does anyone know if the potato beetles will attack the sweet potatoes too?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
In my experience,NO. Sweet potatoes are not the same plant as white potatoes . White potatoes come from the nightshade group. They are more related to Tomatoes than the sweeet potatoe.

Sweet potatoes are Lpomoea Batatas from the convolvuloaea family.They are more closely related to the morning glory than the white poatatoe.

They are only distantly related to each other and have few common pests.

Your problem with potatoe bugs is normal. They will return each year unless you take very stingent steps.

I generaly do not grow them in the same garden from one year to the next. Not just because of potatoe bugs but cut worms and nematodes in the soil.
If you wish to grow some white potatoes plant some tomato plants amoung them. Not for a crop but the tomato plants have some repellent affect on the bugs. I do not know why. Another crop to put with them is nicotiana which is a pretty nocturnal flower related to the tobacco plant. The nicotine seems to repell them as well.

But your best results will be to cut the annual cycle of adult bugs and larvae in your potatoe field.

Sweet potatoes, BTW have more food value than white ones. The closer to purple the flesh the more flavanoids and anti Oxidents in the flesh.

Here is a good link about them

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Sweet_potato

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/sweetpotato.cfm
One word of caution, sweet potatoes are tropical and will not endure any frost. Be careful at your lattitude.

loboloco

Potato bugs don't eat sweet potatoes. One word of advice, stay away from the bush type as the yield is greatly reduced. As Franc suggested rotate out your crops. another good pest deterrent is marigolds.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
In your area as far north as you are, I would recommend getting plants rather than starting the plants from seed potatoes. There are several places they are available on line.