• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Time to harvest some beets

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Was just weeding and the beets are getting huge in a hurry. They get some shade from the tomatoes and since we have been watering they are getting big in a hurry. Will have to pull a bunch and pickle them up.:clap: Going to plant more from seed for a fall harvest. these were started in the greenhouse and transplanted. I was not really watching them as the corn and tomatoes had my attention. Will post some pics after I cool down. 81 already and sun is beating down.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Vegetable show off! lol
It's already 85 here.. let the scorching week of hellish heat begin. grrrrrrrr

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This is one short row along the tomato cages. Have 2 more rows that are not quite as big as these. I will cut the tops off and save some for salad and the rest go to the chickens. They love green leafy stuff.

Attachments

• beets 002.jpg
    beets 002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
You must be having a GREAT, year I didn't even knew you grew pineapples Bill . :whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You must be having a GREAT, year I didn't even knew you grew pineapples Bill . :whistling:
Smartass! She got that yesterday while we were out.
That is a sure sign the wife wants kabobs again. We have peppers and onions so I just have to decide what meat to use. Got plenty of little tomatoes also. I will have to look for a steak to cube up or some pork loin.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Smartass! She got that yesterday while we were out.
That is a sure sign the wife wants kabobs again. We have peppers and onions so I just have to decide what meat to use. Got plenty of little tomatoes also. I will have to look for a steak to cube up or some pork loin.
:biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
lovely beets!
They are bigger than I wanted but we just chunk them up and pickle them. I just asked the old lady down the hollow and she wants some also. She sent me up 9 jelly jars of zucchini relish yesterday. I don't even know when I bought relish last as hers is so good. Had some more cantaloupe for lunch. Man this is a good time of year.:clap:

vonfatman

Nice beets! We have been eating them like crazy. I agree....great time of year. Beets are one of my favs....Karli rubs a little olive oil on them, then tents them in alum. foil in the oven at 350 for an hour....the skins pull right off then with just a bit of salt....man they are good!

Last night we had our folks in to eat...we ate ham with garden goodies....
fried green tomatoes, beets, green beans, sweet corn (roastin' ears) sliced cucumbers & onions/in vinegar and fried okra...
only the onions and corn were not picked by us...

Great dinner.

Bob

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You guys have made me jealous. We've had a ton of tomatoes and peppers and the eggplant are doing good but everything else is suffering.

I worked down in the garden this week-end and the heat has finally got to it. It's getting plenty of water but the 100 degree temps, low humidity and the wind blowing at 10-20 mph is killing the plants. It's sucking the water out of them faster than they can take it up. It's a pity because it was going to be a bumper year.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I hear you Frank. We have been hot and dry with a breeze most days. While it drys hay great it also dries up the water I put on the garden every night. It has been so nasty the chickens have burrowed out holes under their shed to stay cool. They actually love when the sprinkler hits in their yard area and gives them a shower.

vonfatman

Sir,
Do you water with a hose, spray, or soak-er type hose? We have started using soak-er hoses this year and have found the water goes farther and the plants seem to be responding.

Bob

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 rotary sprinklers mounted on poles inside the garden. I have an auto inject fertilizer system hooked on it as well to mix as it waters.

vonfatman

Wow, sounds much more sophisticated than our plot of earth. But I can say with all happiness...I do not slip/slid on poultry poop!

Stay cool.

Bob

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 rotary sprinklers mounted on poles inside the garden. I have an auto inject fertilizer system hooked on it as well to mix as it waters.

That's pretty much what I've got apart from the auto inject fertilizer but since it is fed by hose from the water well, I can insert a Miracle Grow hose end sprayer in line.

Vonfatman, I used soaker hoses in Dallas for many years and they worked great. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, we use well water for watering the yard and the veggie gardens at our present place. It allows me to use about 40,000 gallons a day, every day right now, on the gardens but the well produces a very, very fine red silt that quickly plugs the heck out of soaker hoses. It eventually gets to the yard sprinklers too. I spent most of last week working on them.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Frank....a well! Oh what a great deal....good luck with the dirt in the lines!

Bob

Yea, it was one of the smarter things that I ever did, that and put in sprinklers in this big yard about 15 years ago while I was still working and could afford it. The well will produce about a 100 gallons a minute for as long as you want. It's 760 feet deep and into the sand that all the towns around here (and Ozarka water bottlers) get their water from. You're really only limited by the size of pump you have in the well. If I was having to pay for city or community water everything would be dead. You just couldn't afford it.