• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stupid Windows Update

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Last night I open up my laptop and it says "Windows update complete, please restart now or restart later". So I go ahead and restart. It starts up and it get to a screen that says it was not shut down properly, please select from the choices below. The choices are something like this.

1. Safe Mode
2. Normal Start Up
3. Start from last known configuration.

And 2 more choices that I can't remember.

It doesn't matter which one I choose, it cycles back around to this same screen and keeps doing it over and over.

It did this back in August when it did one of these automatic updates. I took it to Circuit City and their Fire Dog techs got it going again. I have a tech here at work looking at it. If he can't get it going I will take it to Circuit City again.

Is there a way to prevent this?

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I can't answer the question, but I can tell you that I installed the same one yesterday. The only issue I ran into was when I opened outlook it said the personal folder did not close properly. That is not unusual for me though.... NOW... my wife dropping HER's and screwing up the screen is a WHOLE different deal...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Start->Control Panel->Security Center

Scroll down to "Manage Security Settings For:"

Click on Automatic Updates

Change your options to whatever you desire.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Start->Control Panel->Security Center

Scroll down to "Manage Security Settings For:"

Click on Automatic Updates

Change your options to whatever you desire.

Thanks Dave, once I get to where I can see the Start button I am going to adjust those settings.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
The tech guy here at work just called me. He says I have lost all partitions? I asked it in laymans terms and he said I had lost everything!!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
The tech guy here at work just called me. He says I have lost all partitions? I asked it in laymans terms and he said I had lost everything!!!
The guy sounds like a maroon. If it is doing anything (and it is, it shows a repeating boot screen), then the partitions are readable.

Get a bootable Linux disk (http://www.ubuntu.com) and boot from that, you can then access your H.D. to copy your data files to a safe location (network share, USB disk/HD, etc).

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I stopped all automatic updates from Microsoft for Vista. It used to take me a couple of days to get my computer fixed everytime it did it. It did get me in to the habit of more frequent, regular backups and creating restore points though.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
The guy said that it did go to the boot up screen a couple of times before it completely lost everything. I wonder what he did to screw it up. I am going to have someone else look at it tomorrow.