• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ford 430hp 7.3 l crate engine

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They came out with this engine because of all the hassles of diesel engine emissions control issues, the ruination of any and all diesels done by our very own EP f'ing A.. Trust me you can buy a hell of a lot of gas for the cost of a diesel engine repair bill. And now that diesel tuners are outlawed, you may be surprised how many trucks will get this 7.3 gas engine. Diesels are fast loosing their shine. Before the EPA mandated ultra low sulfur, diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Then along came the EPA..

As for a gas hog, Chevy has some thing similar, but this big Ford will kick it's butt. :clap: There are already car guys seeing how much power they can get out of this. With little modification, they are well over 550 HP out of one.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Regards, Kirk

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It will be interesting to see where this engine ends up and how well it works. Hopefully it is reliable in it's standard configuration.

Bannedjoe

Who can thumb their nose at a big engine?

I had 1 pickup with a 454 in it, and I believe I could have pulled a house over with it.

I now have a 95 F250 with a 7.3 PS diesel.
It has over 350,000 on it, and still runs strong.
I know they have smaller diesels now with more HP, but they also have many many problems.
My 7.3 just keeps on going, and I can hardly feel a whole pallet of cement in the back.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5juznc4prc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HiR9dxvGLY[/ame]

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Might be a good replacement if/when my current V10 ever gets tired.

I wonder what the mileage will end up being.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably no better than 8 or 10.

Power is all about how much air and fuel are burned. I built a dodge magnum 5.7 that will make those numbers but at higher RPM I'm sure. The fuel consumption is around 8-10 MPG in a 5,000# truck like Joe said.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Power is all about how much air and fuel are burned. I built a dodge magnum 5.7 that will make those numbers but at higher RPM I'm sure. The fuel consumption is around 8-10 MPG in a 5,000# truck like Joe said.

Agreed a 5.9 will make those numbers when modified.

The difference would be in duty cycle. This 7.3 at it's factory rating will make this kind of power continuously. Like for 12 hours or more on a 90 deg. day, going up hill at max power with 20K lb. trailer in tow..

This is an old school engine in modern dress. 2 valve heads, cam in block just as in the 5.9 dodge. This engine is simple with fewer parts, and much like the big block engines of old. I like their thinking. Back to a day were engine issues were few and far between. Makes me want to consider some Ford stock, as it is cheap right now.

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And for your go big or go home project. (hp anyway) Just a few bucks more, but hey, you can't take it with you anyway ��

https://www.motor1.com/news/430590/katech-lt5-v8-crate-engine/

No thanks. No more China GM for me, ever. :hammer: Osama bama motors should have gone bankrupt and into the dust bin of history. Today it carries with it the legacy of the loony left. Vote with your pocket book.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27274064/1000-hp-mopar-hellephant-hemi-engine-pricing/

This is more like it. China motors is just a copy cat

Regards, Kirk

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed a 5.9 will make those numbers when modified.

The difference would be in duty cycle. This 7.3 at it's factory rating will make this kind of power continuously. Like for 12 hours or more on a 90 deg. day, going up hill at max power with 20K lb. trailer in tow..

This is an old school engine in modern dress. 2 valve heads, cam in block just as in the 5.9 dodge. This engine is simple with fewer parts, and much like the big block engines of old. I like their thinking. Back to a day were engine issues were few and far between. Makes me want to consider some Ford stock, as it is cheap right now.

Regards, Kirk

I was referring to power and fuel economy, take a 5.9 magnum buy a forged 408"stroker kit, Edelbrock heads it would make more power than that motor at the same RPM with better parts, at 1/2 the cost. You could do that with just about any old school motor.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was referring to power and fuel economy, take a 5.9 magnum buy a forged 408"stroker kit, Edelbrock heads it would make more power than that motor at the same RPM with better parts, at 1/2 the cost. You could do that with just about any old school motor.

Correct, but in States with annual exhaust testing could you do this?

This engine will pass all State and Federal emissions laws. It also has a warranty with it, and a pretty good one at that. Don't get me wrong, I like old school motors, have quite a few around the farm. And my State would let you do what you want, as we do not have any annual testing of emissions..

Regards, Kirk

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Correct, but in States with annual exhaust testing could you do this?

This engine will pass all State and Federal emissions laws. It also has a warranty with it, and a pretty good one at that. Don't get me wrong, I like old school motors, have quite a few around the farm. And my State would let you do what you want, as we do not have any annual testing of emissions..

Regards, Kirk

The smog thing is a problem, especially here in ca. Lucky for me the truck its in is smog exempt due to age.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My brother in law has just been notified his is being built. the bug stalled his order. He placed it in mid february. Ford has been making ventilators and now is resuming production.

He pulls a big camper. buys a new truck every 5-7 years. does not lie about fuel economy. and will give an honest report. His current truck is a tundra and in his words works perfect. He also gets 4-7MPG at speed with his box in tow. He is hoping to get in the high single digits with the new *old* ford.

to the comments of the early diesel comments they are spot on. even the tuckers ordered after July *now* will be Def fluid pig piss sniffers.

I am just happy ford is trying. they have no reason to make a better mouse trap unless folks ask for one.

I was at the EAA one year and asked a handful of questions about the ecotec series and he said the efficiency can be made better..... but the heaters did not make the occupants comfortable in consumer testing..... so they put more fuel to it..... I thought bull shit at the beginning. but I believe there is some truth to that....