• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Windshield visor project for the Imp

mikemikelle

High speed cameras, aerodynamic auto design software, max speed runs, and wind tunnel testing confirmed it...... beer goes down faster with an custom visor!:punk:

Not done yet, but shaping up

Scan_20180205.jpg

A sketch of the side profile that I'm after

20180204_103229.jpg

Welded up a buck that matches the cab profile exactly

20180204_213956.jpg

(Can somebody please tell me how to rotate my pic...):oops:

20180204_103257.jpg

Side view of the basic frame placed on the cat. I'm sure there will be haters, but I'm happy with it. Trying to stay with the natural boxy look and angles for sort of a factory look.

20180204_212730.jpg

20180204_212743.jpg

Simple side mounting point thru body at a fairly stout location due to cab frame and rivet configuration. Spacer added in and around rivet heads for a nice flush contact point. Padded eventually with a bicycle inner tube.

20180204_213930.jpg

Pulled it off the buck and set on the cab to check the rough lines before skinning. The frame weighs about 6 lbs so far. Probably 12 when done. Installing 2 Golights (semi frenched-in) and running lights (LED's) next.

20180204_212813.jpg

20180204_214003.jpg

20180204_213930.jpg

Stay tuned...:underconstruction4:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not a hater but isn't this mod going to create melting snow dripping down on the windshields all day long?

mikemikelle

I'm not a hater but isn't this mod going to create melting snow dripping down on the windshields all day long?

I'm hoping I have that figured out-

Mine collects snow at the roof gutter and upper rubber window gasket above the wiper stroke (probably due to how wet our snow is), and the factory wipers are tiny (and lousy) at best. The thought is it will block it and fall at near the base of the downward facing wipers. The other thought is the gutter will stay clear so now the melted roof snow can follow the intended path.

A gutter out on the visor is also a thought, and may be in the works.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Want to think "out of the imp box"? Here is a much easier and way more functional solution. Granted, this approach is not as aero dynamic at mock 2 speed, but it sure keeps the window clean and dripping is no longer an issue. Ask any of the farmers who run combines how well this works. Here is the mock up and final product. Added benefit, when you hit that buried stump, your head is not the first thing to hit the front of the cab.

Attachments

• DSCN3364.jpg
    DSCN3364.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 341

mikemikelle

Want to think "out of the imp box"? Here is a much easier and way more functional solution.

I've seen pics of yours before Sno-Drifter, and I think that is as cool as box seats at the hockey game!

Not sure about easier, though.:agree:

mikemikelle

More progress

20180206_134557.jpg

Go-Light bases recessed in to keep overall height down

20180206_151744.jpg

Thanks to mtn crawler's concern, figured out a gutter! Rather than skin it solid, going to leave a 1/4" gap at the base where the skin would meet the 1/2 round aluminum pipe. The pipe will provide sort of a "Leaf Guard" gutter copy, since it is oriented underneath enough to form a trough. A strategically placed hole in the pipe will drip the water off to the side.

20180206_155405.jpg

The small ribs in the 1/2 round pipe will help support the skins.

20180206_155447.jpg

Tack it all together, then time for the TIG.

battdad

i dont hate it, I love it. I just did something similar on my project cat although a lot lower profile. then mounted led lights underneath the overhang, thinking that they would be protected from low hanging limbs and such.
very nice work you are doing there.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I would also suggest you might want to incorporate some brush guards for your lights. One can never have too much protection!
My guard is definitely not as nice as yours but it does the trick
c2a7959c182abfe42de193e44ddd7bbe.jpg

Sorry for the masking tape I’m redoing the logo

mikemikelle

Almost done! TIG welding wrapped up.

20180209_152919.jpg

The slot at the bottom is the built in drip catcher/gutter

20180209_152915.jpg

20180209_152933.jpg

Decided I am going to polish it instead of painting, since it has turned out real nice. That remains to be done.

20180209_160922.jpg

Lastly will be lights, wiring, and maybe some light guards of some sort. LED running lights and LED strobes all cut in and ready after polishing.

20180209_160950.jpg

20180209_160958.jpg

20180209_160916.jpg

Total weight about 15 lbs.

Thanks for watching!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Always liked the visor on trucks...

Only question is - why so bulky (no pun intended) - just seems almost too much/too heavy for its application?

mikemikelle

Only question is - why so bulky (no pun intended) - just seems almost too much/too heavy for its application?

You're from Russia right....biggest trucks, biggest tanks, biggest planes, biggest wilderness, BIGGEST Country!!

Can't we have biggest visor?:myopinion:

Main reason for the whole idea was the Go-Lights. Didn't like the look of them atop the cab by themselves....their size, angled roof , etc. Didn't want that "80's 4x4 pick-up with a fake roll bar with lights" look either.

The Go-Lights main feature is the remote control tilt and swivel, and to truly get full use out of them they need to be elevated on the imp, due to the rising roof. You could move the lights back, but then they won't shine down in front when needed.

The visor allows disguised elevation, and addresses some side view Imp ugliness for me. If my girl is going to have a big red nose, I want her to have big silver eyebrows to help offset!!

Tried drawing smaller, shorter, thinner, etc. but didn't like the look and scale (Didn't build the first sketch I made, there were lots of renditions). The visor idea allows some elevation, nearly 360 degree of light usage, plus also fixes where the snow collects on my windshield.

and, as they say, GO BIG or GO HOME, plus when you see that blinding glare in your rear view mirror from the HUGE polished aluminum visor, you'll know I've still got your back...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
oh, again - no pun intended... as many people as opinions,etc.

As from my perspective, I try to shed every pound of weight whereever possible.

But cosmetics/looks is where the sacrifices are made for sure!

Form and Function! :)

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm guessing welding isn't just an occasional pastime for you . . .

Nice beads:thumbup:

mikemikelle

I cheated.

Did all the design, jigging, cutting,and fabbing, but had someone else TIG the beads. I have a spool gun, and a little TIG experience, but not enough to run those.

Figured I better let the cat out of the bag now before someone asks me to prove it!

mikemikelle

Visor is done, polished, installed, and works!! Took it to McCall, where we received snow 3 of 4 days. Didn't need to clear excess snow one single time, from my windshield or wipers . Normally fight it freezing up high at the top above the wiper blades.

Move over Rubber Duck!! Now I need a train horn

20180226_180630.jpg

20180220_091231.jpg

20180225_204417.jpg