• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Minor League Baseball anyone?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went to my first minor league baseball game last night.

$10 for box seats in the front row on the first base line between home and first. Beer and hot dogs were about $6 and $5 respectively.

I've always been a Cubs fan in a family dominated by Sox fans. With Comisky Park (original Sox park) about 40 minutes away and the new Sox field in the same location, its always been an easy thing to go see Major League games. Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs is about an hour 15 away, we'd go there sometimes too. So I never saw any reason to go to see the minor league teams.

Well Cubs tickets, in the stands, are over $50 each and that puts you well back away from the field. Parking is expensive and a hassle to find. Sox tickets are in the same range, but parking is easy. So when my daughter said lets go see a game, and knowing she is NOT a fan, my wife suggested the Gary Railcats as the team to see. A genius she is.

Great experience, low price for the family night out, decent baseball. But fear of thunderstorms kept the crowd to a minimum. Had a rain delay in the 4th. Watch a lightning storm light up the sky over Lake Michigan from the 7th through the 9th but the rain held off.

Gary lost to Iowa. But it was a fun game. I'll probably go again. Oh, and the park is carry friendly too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 92

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been to several minor league games. It's more than enough for me since I'm in it for the fun and ballpark experience more than seeing the pros play. Can't see dumping $50 a ticket to hear that some player just landed a $100,000,000 contract. They're not worth that much to me.

My son's soccer coaches for summer camp as well as the upcoming season are both semi-pro players from the UK. I enjoy watching these coaches and kids play as much as any pro sports.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian I agree with you that the professional players are not worth the money and that I'm also not invested enough in the sport to support their huge salaries. I'd rather go for the fun of the game and the experience of the venue.

We've got a minor league hockey team here in the Chicago suburbs as well. The Chicago Wolves (not sure why they aren't the Suburban Wolves). Went to see one of their matches last year and had a blast. I'm planning to go at to one or two of their matches again this coming season.

For the price of admission, the entertainment is fantastic. No need to pay 5x the price to see a bunch of crybabies on the field. I sort of lost all respect for pro-baseball several years ago when they went on strike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 84

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the price of admission, the entertainment is fantastic. No need to pay 5x the price

:agree:
We had a semi pro hockey team in Cols (the columbus Chill) before the pro team (Cols Bluejackets) came to town. I had a lot more fun at the Chill games. The atmosphere was different. Simply more fun. The cost to get in and 'have fun' does impact the whole experience.

We also have a minor league baseball team. I always enjoy going to their games. I sure don't have to see the big name stars to enjoy the game. Just something about the atmosphere at the ball park. Fun. and Fun for cheap is better.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here in Columbus we also have a AAA baseball team. They are a farm team for Cleveland Indians, the Columbus Clippers. When Cleveland sends a player for rehab or whatever they usually come to Columbus. The games are great. We get to see MLB players in every game. Prices are reasonable. Prices usually average $12.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't been to one in years.

When I worked in Oklahoma City, over 20 years ago, I used to go watch the '89'ers play. They have since changed their name and have a new ballpark. I used to go with a couple of friends from work and it was a lot of fun. It was an inexpensive evening out. The crowds weren't big and they were all there to have a good time. It was a great atmosphere.

I used to love baseball but, as someone else said, I became disillusioned a few years back when they went on strike. It's hard to sympathize with players making tens or hundreds of millions of dollars going on strike for more money. I rationalize it by knowing that they wouldn't get paid that much if there wasn't that much money in the game. It's just a case of who gets it, the owners or the players.

I get my "fix" these days by watching out local high school team play.

I liked baseball a lot since my childhood. I have taken proper training to play from my sports coach. For that I have purchased all the equipment for playing it in my school time. When I gone to college my father gave me a branded baseball kit which gives me a real pleasure whenever I used to play with that kit.

mak2

I usually make about 20 Indianapolis Indians games per year, sometimes a lot more. I have all kinds of autographed gear from guys like Alvarez currently a Pirate and many others. I really loved it when my boys were little and even my girls like to go sometimes. I have been to early season rain/cold games few fans show up and the games is delayed the players walk around he concourse signing stuff etc. I love minor league baseball. Soon my grandson will be old enough to go with me.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I've been to a couple of the Toledo Mudhens games and I've seen one or two Lansing Lugnuts games as well. I'd rather go to these games as they are much more entertaining and fan oriented than the pros.