• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It's Wednesday.
Back to work day.
Covid testing results are beginning to trickle back in for our facility.
Yesterday 34 came back all negative.
I expect mine will too.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It's Wednesday.
Back to work day.
Covid testing results are beginning to trickle back in for our facility.
Yesterday 34 came back all negative.
I expect mine will too.

You're lucky you don't live in south Florida where some testing stations are reporting almost 100% positive.
Fortunately, later audits showed only 10% or less was the real number.:hammer:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
You're lucky you don't live in south Florida where some testing stations are reporting almost 100% positive.
Fortunately, later audits showed only 10% or less was the real number.:hammer:

Francis, I've thought this has been bullshit from the very beginning.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Not sure what I'm doing today, other than the gym in a few minutes. I'm on the City of Avoca Planning and Zoning Committee. There is a meeting this evening so I will go to it. Last meeting months ago we approved a new housing tract, so we will be discussing it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've got to take the trash down to the front gate in a few minutes for the weekly pick-up.

It's not too sunny this morning, lots of high clouds, so I may attack the yard later on. It's still hot and muggy though so then again, maybe not. :smile: My, I'm getting lazy in my old age.

I canceled our long trip to Colorado and northern New Mexico yesterday. It looks as if the motorhome has just turned in to a yard ornament. I need to wash and wax that thing. Since it's cloudy today that's maybe what I'll do.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I got one of the solar panel frames mocked up the other day on the table. I designed a hinge and support system to hold them at the correct angle. Then this morning before the help showed up I got most all of the frame and support pieces cut. After that I took some cable conveyor shives to a local foundry for casting. There are becoming very few vendors you can get the parts from now days. Lucky for me there is a local foundry 5 miles from me and they will cast anything you want. Looks like I just started another division of the business.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 50

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Today was a case of "what to do?" I had planned on loading up the side by side and little quad and heading to the bush for a ride with my 10 yr old. After an hour of messing with the small quad I discovered that the carb is fd. So I ordered a new one. My neighbor showed up and said he's cutting a trail on his property to get to mine. I loaded up the chainsaw and headed over. 3 hours later we had 300 feet of trail cut. Dentist appointment now.

Bannedjoe

More holes. More posts. More mud.
If I ever do this shit again, I'm going to rent a tractor based auger.
This ground is so hard, it took 3 days to dig 5 holes.

But hey, I'm burnin' calories, and building muscle...I guess.

Mama's got the primer coat happening.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.JPG
    IMG_2509.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 68

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
More holes. More posts. More mud.
If I ever do this shit again, I'm going to rent a tractor based auger.
This ground is so hard, it took 3 days to dig 5 holes.

But hey, I'm burnin' calories, and building muscle...I guess.

Mama's got the primer coat happening.

I feel your pain I'm digging in the same on a mountain, although it is not as hot as where you are, I still started at daybreak

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I too feel your pain Joe. I have to dig holes in the Ozark mountain aggregate. Rocks held together by a sort of amalgam clay. The clay is either hard as shale when dry or gooey as Elmer's glue when wet. One has about 20 minutes to dig it furiously when it is changing state from one to the other.

My neighbor was putting in a fence some years ago, and had a tractor mounted hole digger. What I saw happen scared me to death, He was working with another fella, pushing down on the tiller bar as the compact tractor powered auger went into the ground. At about two feet deep, the damn auger caught on a large rock and two guys trying desperately to mount the spinning tractor and shut it down.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
When My father-in-law died two years ago, he was already behind on his mortgage. His house was in disrepair, small leaks despite the "new" roof, concrete drive was beyond recovery and pitched toward his foundation. The north wall of which was bowing and the south wall cracked, vertically and horizontally, in several places.
He would not let us fix it, and would not move in with us. This even though his house was across our street and he spent most of his time in our house.

He had not paid the HOA for years. And had a second mortgage.

In good shape the house was worth about $180K. He owes $130K. To meet code would require about $110K in repairs and code compliance. Flippers told me the needed $40K to bring into sellable condition.

In other words, it was so far underwater nobody wanted it.

Last month, the county cited code violation. The only legitimate ones were electrical and a cracked driveway. Curiously, they weren't wasn't cited. A leaky gutter, two bush branches in a former fire pit, faded paint and a broken fascia board were.

My wife is on the deed but has no financial connection. With no interest in the property ourselves, we turned it over to the bank/mortgage company two years ago. They have never executed foreclosure in all that time.

Meanwhile, I have paid the electric and gas bill to keep the house warm and lights on. I mow the yard and trim bushes. I even stabilized a brick wall that was falling off the front of the house and re-secured it to the structure. All to keep the neighbors from complaining.

Yet one did and now I have a huge fine accumulating daily until I bring the property to code. Roof, basement, Driveway and paint=at least $40K.

But good news today. At least I hope so. Nine certified letters all saying the exact same thing. The house will be sold by the new mortgage holder on the county courthouse steps on August fifth, 2020.

I do hope this gets the county off my back.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Not sure what I'm doing today, other than the gym in a few minutes. I'm on the City of Avoca Planning and Zoning Committee. There is a meeting this evening so I will go to it. Last meeting months ago we approved a new housing tract, so we will be discussing it.

The Planning and Zoning meeting didn't go well in my opinion. The owner of the Motel 6 in town wanted to change the land he owns right next to the Motel 6 to residential so he could build a home for himself and be next to his business. One vote short of approving it. I told the committee that one of the reasons I moved to Avoca was to get away from the big city rules and regulations and work more as a community. There always has to be one or two there to screw things up. We rescheduled a meeting for next Wednesday to review it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My neighbor was putting in a fence some years ago, and had a tractor mounted hole digger. What I saw happen scared me to death, He was working with another fella, pushing down on the tiller bar as the compact tractor powered auger went into the ground. At about two feet deep, the damn auger caught on a large rock and two guys trying desperately to mount the spinning tractor and shut it down.

I've never seen that done with a tractor but I sure as hell have seen it done with a hand held auger. In fact, many years ago when I was putting a fence around the raised bed veggie garden, it happened so often that I was bruised from my knee to my armpit. In that case it was a combination of fractured rock and tree roots. That's when I bought the post-hole digger for the compact tractor. :smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't get why you're responsible for the fines.
Just because you were pitching in and helping take care of it?
It was the banks property, right?

Because the HOA and the county Inspectors are @ssholes. And by a technical stretch of law they could hassle us.

Unfortunately for us, the Banks had not completed foreclosure in two long years. This despite our pledge to release the property. So legally, my wife was still considered to be the owner. And, she was the executor of her dad's estate. Therefore responsible.
There was no probate so nothing transferred to her. The property had no value over and above the mortgage. Therefore the banks involved couldn't get rid of it easily without a loss. So they stalled.

It put us in a legal limbo.

Our lawyer and personal banker both said to walk away. So we did.

My brother had a similar experience when he was executor of my father's estate. City of Ferguson, and lienholders, wanted all their money and took him to court. He eventually won out but it was hell for him.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm going about 150 miles north of here to visit with some family and friends. It's called the 'Iowa Great Lakes' area......just south of Minnesota. I love to drive so it's all good.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going about 150 miles north of here to visit with some family and friends. It's called the 'Iowa Great Lakes' area......just south of Minnesota. I love to drive so it's all good.

Have a safe trip Lenny.
I'm not doing a dang thing today.
:smile:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Back down at the shop at daybreak, got most of the mounting brackets for mounting the solar panel frames on top the container cut and drilled. Tomorrow I will miter the square tubes for the rest of the frames. When they are welded up it will be time to get on top of the container and start mounting. I am hoping that I get on top early next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 57

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I went to the gym a couple of hours ago. This evening I'm going to a nacho bar fund raiser put on by 22 Veterans Suicide Awareness Association at the Council Bluffs Legion Hall, put on by 22 Veterans Suicide Awareness Association (Facebook). Definitely a good cause.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
My buddy Robert came over this morning to check out the solar container project and ate up a bunch of time. I only got 2 more frames mitered for welding done. Tomorrow I will miter the other 2 and start welding them out. I hope to be mounting them on the container some time next week. Also I ordered a 5200 watt wind generator that should be here next week.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ran some errands this morning. Nice day so I rode the motorcycle. I had the occasion to use my horn while on a 4 lane rural highway. Running along at about 50-to-55mph when a Dodge Caravan decided he wanted my lane. He was polite enough to use his turn signal. I was in the left lane, he was in the right. I was in alignment with his rear wheel well when I saw the front turn signal start to flash and he slowly started to move into my lane, a long but reasonably impotent "tweet" of the factory horn and he pulled back into his lane, I passed with a polite wave. As bad as the factory horn is on my bike I was glad the driver had his window down so I was fortunate he could hear it.

Very likely I had moved into his blind spot. No harm, no foul. I'm sure appreciate the friendly wave instead of the middle finger. I know I appreciated the heads up from the turn signal.

The low volume of the factory horn, one of those things that is always on my "to do list" will be moved up the priority ladder to top of the heap. Just need to decide which horn to buy. Really looking for a simple plug and play, or close to a plug and play.

Looking at the "Denali Sound Bomb MINI"

YouTube -->

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This is my weekend to work.
Double 12s.
We now have an enclosed tent sat up outside for families to FINALLY come visit their loved ones.
At a distance, but nonetheless visiting.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snuck out of the bedroom without waking the baby. Enjoying a cup of espresso, quietly, with Nelson the Corgi.

Later this morning a young friend is coming over to pick up my welder. Not sure what he is going to use it for. As much as I use it, he can probably keep it and I might just borrow it when I need it. But he is good about returning things in better condition than when they were borrowed.

Probably going to try to get to a farmers market. We hoped to go to the blueberry farm but we have excessive heat warnings again today. So it would be pretty stupid to wander about a farm picking berries in this weather . . . especially since we now have a 4 month old baby to deal with when we leave the house. So a farmers market makes more sense to just buy the berries.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snuck out of the bedroom without waking the baby. Enjoying a cup of espresso, quietly, with Nelson the Corgi.

Later this morning a young friend is coming over to pick up my welder. Not sure what he is going to use it for. As much as I use it, he can probably keep it and I might just borrow it when I need it. But he is good about returning things in better condition than when they were borrowed.

Probably going to try to get to a farmers market. We hoped to go to the blueberry farm but we have excessive heat warnings again today. So it would be pretty stupid to wander about a farm picking berries in this weather . . . especially since we now have a 4 month old baby to deal with when we leave the house. So a farmers market makes more sense to just buy the berries.

Status
Not open for further replies.