• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1963 Thiokol 602 for sale

mas8915

Hi:
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1963 Thiokol 602 for about 3K. It has the 6cyl Ford engine with 355 hours and 822 miles. The condition is fair inside and out. Is this a fair price? Given there is limited snow at times in North Dakota, can this be driven on the prairie with limited snow or can the tracks be removed and driven in the summer? Thanks for your time.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi:
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1963 Thiokol 602 for about 3K. It has the 6cyl Ford engine with 355 hours and 822 miles. The condition is fair inside and out. Is this a fair price? Given there is limited snow at times in North Dakota, can this be driven on the prairie with limited snow or can the tracks be removed and driven in the summer? Thanks for your time.

That machine will never sell for that price. I will guarantee it. :brows:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea, never! and then sell her to me for just a wee-bit more after you've popped her. Who says steel doesn't sell? ;)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, never! and then sell her to me for just a wee-bit more after you've popped her. Who says steel doesn't sell? ;)

No it will stay with its brothers where it belongs. heard it will take more than 20K to buy it anyway

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the forums mas8915!!! never mind boggie and Mainer they are still shocked a 602 is for sale and they didnt know about it. Buy it! you can always sell it to them !

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the forums mas8915!!! never mind boggie and Mainer they are still shocked a 602 is for sale and they didnt know about it. Buy it! you can always sell it to them !

I have know for some time..... even told Mainer about it. (man am I dumb)
it is not for sale. YET,..... but it will cost big bucks to buy it nothing less than 20K
is has a home already (Me)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
You guys are lucky I respect dibs! But now it's time to find it! ;)
BUT, I still won't try to buy it but at least watch from afar.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope, there was no history of a proper "DIBS" claim.
See the string above... there were just various interested parties!
My Gawd! I *AM* a lucky man to use proper dibs protocol.
;)
Wait a minute... what if someone doesn't respect and acknowledge the world of dibs?
Then would it be... simply... DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR ???? MANO-A-MANO !?!?!?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I see it's up to $10,900.

Mainer, Boggie, Weatherby, bkvail, et. al. what do you think would be a "fair market value" for this machine?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Come on... you know that's way over estimated... fair market value is 12-17K for this puppy...depending on channel through which it's sold...maybe more but unlikely.
How do you know that is over estimated? I have people that have looked at it in person.... Did you fly your little ass over and look???????????? If you have not seen what good cats in my area are selling for how can you say that. Scare tactics will not work. Oh this thing is a pile o crap. oh wo is me no one respects dibs. oh lipstick on a pig. oh no......

bkvail

How do you know that is over estimated? I have people that have looked at it in person.... Did you fly your little ass over and look???????????? If you have not seen what good cats in my area are selling for how can you say that. Scare tactics will not work. Oh this thing is a pile o crap. oh wo is me no one respects dibs. oh lipstick on a pig. oh no......

they say in the listing that the condition is FAIR though - who'd pay $25G's for something in fair condition? yikes. not I! If it were 25G's, I'd want something like the black diamond cat in looks personally :D

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
My experience is that most people tend to overstate the condition of the item they're selling.

I admit to being a relatively "picky" guy, but if it's described as "fair" it's very doubtful that it's really in "excellent" shape.

Again, I defer to the most experienced members of the forum, but consider that we are at the end of the season, and the economy isn't exactly booming, either. Are there that many folks out there who'd pony up $25K for that machine? (I guess since it's an auction it only takes two.)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

I don't need to fly over and look. I have enough data that I know how much a cat of original quality of that period with those miles and hours is worth for fair market. Some may bid over that depending on passion and variables such as publicity, etc. have an effect as well.

75% of the cats I've purchased are from 'your' area and I transport them East and I still have some there out West. Oh, no, that's a tactic too... actually, I've never bought a cat... and I've been holding out for this 602. That's the ticket!

Scare tactics? I've put truthful information out about the piglet... deals have fallen through when people went to look at it. Is that a scare tactic? I would not call it that. I do not want the piglet. Maybe you should think to be a bit more truthful than thinking this is all about deception and soap opera. You know what, why don't you go buy the piglet. Yes, I think the piglet would be a good cat for you to own. Obviously it's a great cat in disguise... and I've spotted a real gem... and hence, what Mainer states is crap...is actually... G-O-L-D... yes ... go buy the piglet. It's a Sooweeeet ride! :yum::yum::yum:

And FYI, I don't need to fly out to look at a cat to save a few grand. The reason I'm not bidding on the 602 because I told Boggie I wouldn't. That's that. Pretty simple. If it weren't for that, I'd buy it WITHOUT going to make sure I'm getting every wee little bit of my money. It may go for more... who knows... but if it does they're paying over 'fair' market value for a consumer. Fair is not what a niche collector will pay or a business. I would pay more than the amount I listed but I'd be paying over fair market ... it's a very nice cat that would be nice to own. Compare it though to the 'so orange' black diamond or snow ops new rig. No, the vast majority of people would buy a DMC1200 for the same money and be way happier (oh, is that one of my tactics again??? or just truth?). There really aren't very many collectors out there for these machines...there weren't...now there are more in the past two years. Anyway, I don't know how many respect dibs anyway... and from this experience I won't be living by it any longer...no more whining from the Mainer about dibs. Last time in respect for my word to Boggie.

Let's see... what's your experience with 6's and 4T's? Remind me again?

Oh, and thanks for commenting on my ass... :glare:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mainer, I will remind you who started slinging the shit here, (note other thread) it was you. I made a joke not directed at anyone and you took it personal Sorry, if your feelings were hurt. I am not buying ANY snowcats. Do not give a rats a$$. I will not be replying to you anymore even if you single me out, obviously you have a chip on your shoulder.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I was commenting on values and being objective and also with the pig 4T10 I was being analytical.

You threw first mud:
"Did you fly your little ass over and look???????????? If you have not seen what good cats in my area are selling for how can you say that. Scare tactics will not work. Oh this thing is a pile o crap. oh wo is me no one respects dibs. oh lipstick on a pig. oh no......"

You threw accusations at me that were personal ...takes more than that to hurt my feelings... it's crap you put out about me that isn't right though. I try to bring info to light so people benefit as I've done on most of my posts on this forum... brought more info out about the 4T and 6-series than anyone else except for Weatherby's awesome restoration. YOU don't even know an objective and analytical critique vs. mud throwing. Thank goodness you'll pipe down... as you should have remained seated other than how much you knew about this cat. Yea, I have a chip on my shoulder for slanderers...take a dose of your avatar.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guys, when I started the Snowcat forums a few years ago we all got along.

I'd really appreciate it if we could get back to that point without the need for having 'moderators' get involved to quite things down.

Please.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
O.K. the gloves are off, I just emailed Mainer, and said bid away.... this machine has brought out the worst in everyone... it is suppose to be fun.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I vote the admin nuke both 602 threads. They add little/no historical/knowledge value and getting rid of some commentary may let us do what men do best...sweep some dust balls under the carpet. ;)

Also, I wanted to thank those of you that sent me some very thoughtful and supportive PM's.
I'm glad I can help spread the info where possible and that it's appreciated ... whether it be about 6's/4T's for history or about specific cats.

Cheers

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I see the auction closed and the high bid was $14,250.

That's to the penny the heart of the envelope of Mainer's estimates.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Word through the snow cat owners grapevine is that the high bidder was located in Wyoming. It was not me so don't even go there anyone. I have 3 cats sitting in my yard now and I never even considered this one.....:ermm:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
FF is the worlds best place for info on these machines and parts for them. I hope everyone can shrug off the last few days and get back to talking about the next restore. I don't have one and probably never will living in Ohio. But They interest me a lot, they are fascinating machines.