• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
Jackson, Ms.was a nice little town the last time I was there. Nice folks and pretty country. I once held the C\gas record at their drag strip. I think the old strip is gone now. Have a goodun!!!!!!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, went to the field this morning looked at a couple jobs got back around 11 am. The last piece of the motor puzzle showed up ( cam ) so I removed the rockers pushrods and existing cam its new but computer profile 114 degree lsa with a carburetor it would idle very smooth but not make much power where I need it. New comps cam hyd. roller 220 degree @.050 and 110 degree lsa with intake centerline @108 degrees should make very good power from 1500-5000 rpm around 350 hp and 425 tq idle will be choppy but its a 4 speed. I had to shim all of the rocker pedestals .050 to get the lifter preload down to .020 I will finish assembling tomorrow ( intake, carb, oil pump, oil pan, timing cover, valve covers, balancer , flywheel with clutch )and put it in on Saturday and have it going Sunday. I will post pics. tomorrow I'm tired. Marty

Well I started early this morning got it ready to install but not without a few challenges
1- true roller timing chain cam sprocket was too thin and had to make a spacer to get it to work
2- SFI dampener when I opened the box is for a LA 360 and did not have the proper balance ring for the magnum so I can correct that after I get the engine installed.
3- tomorrow its going in. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 108

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
Jackson, Ms.was a nice little town the last time I was there. Nice folks and pretty country. I once held the Cgas record at their drag strip. I think the old strip is gone now. Have a goodun!!!!!!

Sonny boy rolled into Defiance at 2:30 this morning.
The grandbugs will be delighted when they wake up and see Daddy's home.

I've got today off. Yay!
Shopping again, then splurging on rib eye steak for dinner.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sonny boy rolled into Defiance at 2:30 this morning.
The grandbugs will be delighted when they wake up and see Daddy's home.

I've got today off. Yay!
Shopping again, then splurging on rib eye steak for dinner.

I’m glad Ty had a safe trip home. :thumb:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Skipped camp this weekend. No sense driving an hour to sit in the camper in the cold rain burning propane. If it doesn't warm up this weekend I think it's time to put a fork in this year's camping season.

I'm slowly getting back into my winter routine and going to play music at the church for the first time since April.

Did I mention that it's raining? We had a mixture of snow and rain this week. The plow truck is all set to be put to work.

This weeks task includes tarping up trailers, truck campers, lawn tractors etc for the winter.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm building a stone wall about two feet high and 10 feet long creating a dam so my garden pond can be made larger I using highway rock from a cliff near Pevely MO. It is full of blue and yellow color with lots of seashell fossils.

My son's above ground pool collapsed so I am using the liner to line my pond.

I will try some pictures when finished.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I started early this morning got it ready to install but not without a few challenges
1- true roller timing chain cam sprocket was too thin and had to make a spacer to get it to work
2- SFI dampener when I opened the box is for a LA 360 and did not have the proper balance ring for the magnum so I can correct that after I get the engine installed.
3- tomorrow its going in. Marty

Hi all, started around 8am pulled it off the stand and installed pilot bushing, flywheel and clutch. Hooked it to the old ford tractor with a comalong in between, it was a little difficult due to the front loader bleeding off while trying to line it up with the transmission input shaft but with a little wiggling and some profanity it went in. Got it all bolted up to the bell housing starter on and hooked up also motor mounts done. Tomorrow everything else except the harmonic balancer that I won't have until Tuesday. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 98

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Another very busy day.
I drove 40 minutes away to buy a foot stool because I fell in love with it. Lol

It's my style. :smile:

Just enjoyed dinner and will find a movie to watch later this evening.

20191005_201801-768x768.jpg

20191005_181418-768x768.jpg

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
:ThumbsUp:

Attachments

• 4D2FC000-0DF7-4732-8123-C952F4980485.jpeg
    4D2FC000-0DF7-4732-8123-C952F4980485.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 90

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, started around 8am pulled it off the stand and installed pilot bushing, flywheel and clutch. Hooked it to the old ford tractor with a comalong in between, it was a little difficult due to the front loader bleeding off while trying to line it up with the transmission input shaft but with a little wiggling and some profanity it went in. Got it all bolted up to the bell housing starter on and hooked up also motor mounts done. Tomorrow everything else except the harmonic balancer that I won't have until Tuesday. Marty

Damn... you are getting all sorts of work done and I'm just happy when I get out of the La Z Boy.

I think I've gotten too lazy. Not doing enough property maintenance. Not doing enough vehicle maintenance, heck I've got a cracked mirror on the tuck that needs changing, found the part at Rockauto for $22 and was too lazy to even order it!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Damn... you are getting all sorts of work done and I'm just happy when I get out of the La Z Boy.

I think I've gotten too lazy. Not doing enough property maintenance. Not doing enough vehicle maintenance, heck I've got a cracked mirror on the tuck that needs changing, found the part at Rockauto for $22 and was too lazy to even order it!

I read your posts you get plenty done, I sit-down every once in a while to. Marty

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably should update everyone on my fireplace progress. Its going slow but sure. Almost every tile has to be cut. They came in 2 sizes. 4x8 and 4x12. But those are approximate sizes as the tiles are hand made tiles so to get them to all line up edge to edge and corner to corner each tile has to be trimmed. Well maybe not every tile. But probably a solid 80% of them are trimmed to fit. So I'm up the ladder taking measurements, then cutting, then back up the ladder to test fit, frequently trimming a bit more, then a 2nd fitting, then finally sticking it in place with adhesive. The 2 center rows are pretty much 4x12 and mostly just shaved on a wet saw to get them fitted. The 4x8 tiles are actually cut down to about 7.75" so they are symmetrical. The edge tiles were glazed on only 1 edge so those had to be shaped and fitted specially and, of course, those arrived at approximately 4.125" tall instead of 4" like the others and had to be shaved down a bit more than the width of the wet saw blade.

There are some corners that don't quite line up, and some lines that are a bit wider or narrower than others. But with handmade and hand cut tiles that is to be expected. FWIW, our house was designed in 1912 (but I built it in 1994/95) so these tiles 'look' age appropriate to the original design.

When it comes time to grout that will be a project in itself as I'll be custom mixing the color. I hate grouting.

The area around the firebox presents a special challenge as the box is metal and will require a special adhesive. I'll be special ordering that. Saving that area for the end of the project.

My wife makes my life harder than it needs to be. But I'll admit that I'm loving the look of this project. Not going to love fitting the top row of tiles along the ceiling, but still loving the project.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 9.59.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 9.59.25 PM.png
    570.8 KB · Views: 79

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Started back with the band tonight at church. It's nice to get back to playing music. I hadn't been since April. We have a new member. So three ladies and 2 guys. Three of us playing guitar. Some songs I lead in. Hard to believe we've been doing this 6 years.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably should update everyone on my fireplace progress. Its going slow but sure. Almost every tile has to be cut. They came in 2 sizes. 4x8 and 4x12. But those are approximate sizes as the tiles are hand made tiles so to get them to all line up edge to edge and corner to corner each tile has to be trimmed. Well maybe not every tile. But probably a solid 80% of them are trimmed to fit. So I'm up the ladder taking measurements, then cutting, then back up the ladder to test fit, frequently trimming a bit more, then a 2nd fitting, then finally sticking it in place with adhesive. The 2 center rows are pretty much 4x12 and mostly just shaved on a wet saw to get them fitted. The 4x8 tiles are actually cut down to about 7.75" so they are symmetrical. The edge tiles were glazed on only 1 edge so those had to be shaped and fitted specially and, of course, those arrived at approximately 4.125" tall instead of 4" like the others and had to be shaved down a bit more than the width of the wet saw blade.

There are some corners that don't quite line up, and some lines that are a bit wider or narrower than others. But with handmade and hand cut tiles that is to be expected. FWIW, our house was designed in 1912 (but I built it in 1994/95) so these tiles 'look' age appropriate to the original design.

When it comes time to grout that will be a project in itself as I'll be custom mixing the color. I hate grouting.

The area around the firebox presents a special challenge as the box is metal and will require a special adhesive. I'll be special ordering that. Saving that area for the end of the project.

My wife makes my life harder than it needs to be. But I'll admit that I'm loving the look of this project. Not going to love fitting the top row of tiles along the ceiling, but still loving the project.

Aaa I see got that done while resting.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Started back with the band tonight at church. It's nice to get back to playing music. I hadn't been since April. We have a new member. So three ladies and 2 guys. Three of us playing guitar. Some songs I lead in. Hard to believe we've been doing this 6 years.

So I am a "traditional" Catholic. Like the 'old school' type of Catholic that enjoys reverence and tradition in the service and the song. Not that I want all the "smells and bells" of Latin mass, I'm not nearly that rigid. And that being said, I have no real issue with a guitar mass and am glad that some churches do it very well. Mine does not. And its bizarre because our music director seems to be so good and the choir ministry seems very strong.

We sing The Gloria as if it was a Donovan pop hit from the 1960's but then solemnly sing The Lord's Prayer as a nearly Gregorian style hymn. Some tunes are nearly Simon & Garfunkel like 2 part harmony, others are have the reverence of a Russian Orthodox service. The overall effect is trying to please everyone while, in actuality, it probably pleases nobody. Honestly it is driving me toward the high Latin masses, which are celebrated at other parishes. If not for driving distance to more traditional masses I might leave this parish because of the music alone. But I have to say that our parish Priest delivers a heck of a homily and I very much enjoy his message and how he ties it to the daily readings.

It is sad for me to come out of mass dwelling on the musical choices they make and how disjointed all the music is, when considered as a whole, in our services. With our freqent travel schedule I miss masses at my home parish, getting to a mass at a 'foreign' parish sometimes makes me thankful for what I return to, but sometimes reinforces the issues I see in our home parish.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We still have the "traditional" mass on Sunday morning with the typical hymns choir and organ. Those services are the typical half hour sermon etc and usually last 1:15 minutes. On Saturday we do a contemporary service with more modern songs. A quick 2 minute sermon along with communion and 6 songs spread throughout the service. It's aimed at 35 minutes. That's the one I play at. So our church being Anglican or episcopalian down in the states, is very similar to the typical catholic service on Sunday but has a modern inclusive approach to religion that has something for everyone.

As we have a large aboriginal community, they try to also include traditional aboriginal teachings that tie their beliefs to christianity.

Bamby

In my mind the earth is God's church and we were to use it responsibly and take care of it. And music is a aspect of it we are able to enjoy.

I beg of anybody on a cool fall day to get to the top of a mountain and look over the world. Look at all the fall colors and listen to the forest sounds around you and think of or play the song I'm posting below.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYgJBmqEKNw[/ame]

I can and do find real meaning in this song and play it occasionally myself. Can you say we've taken care of God's house? I certainly can't....

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
In my mind the earth is God's church and we were to use it responsibly and take care of it. And music is a aspect of it we are able to enjoy.

I beg of anybody on a cool fall day to get to the top of a mountain and look over the world. Look at all the fall colors and listen to the forest sounds around you and think of or play the song I'm posting below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYgJBmqEKNw

I can and do find real meaning in this song and play it occasionally myself. Can you say we've taken care of God's house? I certainly can't....

Its much better to be on the mountain thinking of god than in a church thinking of the mountain. Marty

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Its much better to be on the mountain thinking of god than in a church thinking of the mountain. Marty

Indeed.
Speaking of, I haven't been to mass for a few weeks now.
Eeek!
Not to sound superstitious or silly, but God deserves my thanks both in His house and out.

Maybe He'll forgive me because I'm busy taking care of the elderly and getting my life in the right direction.

Bamby

Indeed.
Speaking of, I haven't been to mass for a few weeks now.
Eeek!
Not to sound superstitious or silly, but God deserves my thanks both in His house and out.

Maybe He'll forgive me because I'm busy taking care of the elderly and getting my life in the right direction.

Who are we to question that in taking care of the elderly that you are doing God's work. It takes a special person to serve them with the care and compassion they deserve. Unfortunately due to the high tie we are forced to pay to support our keeper we can't do much for nothing.

And everything falling together for you and your place very well could be a reward for your good works.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I didn't get as much done on the truck today as I would have liked but I didn't want to put too much in the way of installing the harmonic balancer when it shows up. So I installed the carburetor with the fuel line and the headers. After the balancer, alternator, power steering, fan and radiator prime the oil system, install distributor then we will see how I did. I have a few other little things like bending the throttle linkage bracket to 90 degrees as the manifold bolts are vertical where the LA were on 45 deg. add oil and filter I will take care of tomorrow. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 103

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Planning to take a bunch of tile pieces up to the tile specialty store to get a custom colored grout.

Also going to talk to them about the best adhesive for sticking tile to steel. I've done several web searches and came up with 2 possibilities. One is a fortified, but basically traditional, adhesive. The other is a 2 part epoxy type adhesive. But I probably will NOT be installing any of the tile today. I want all the stuff I need for the metal box before I get started on that part of the project.

I may finish up at the ceiling edge of the project were I have a couple more rows and it will require going up/down the ladder more times than I enjoy!

Probably run the dirty dry cleaning bag up to the dry cleaner.

Afternoon I have fencing practice at one of the high schools. Evening I have fencing at the club. I may stop in the club but not stay very long. Looks to be a few nice/dry days in a row and temps are now in the mid-60's so we are going to run out motorcycle days. Probably ride to high school fencing/club fencing.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Busy guy. Cutting tiles. Fencing. Lol

One of the kiddies slept in and missed his bus this morning. So I had to drive him in. Then came back home to grab the trailer to head out to dads property to pick up an old lawn tractor I've apparently inherited. It has a snowblower attachment that has to be installed. The mower deck was rotten so it was removed years ago and discarded. So I've got a project ahead.

Tonight is scouts.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A riding snowblower is a wonderful thing in the winter! Good luck with the project.

I did find the right color of grout to make the lovely Mrs_Bob happy.

And I found the correct epoxy to adhere the tile to the firebox.

And it was a nice day so I rode a motorcycle this afternoon to fencing practice at the high school. I think one of the new kids quit. H.S. fencing has a reputation of not being a "real sport" because it is not typically a "varsity" recognized sport despite its Olympic status. So some kids think it is easy. It's not. We had a good practice but the kids were sweating and several were complaining. Hell I'm less than 2 weeks away from 59 years old and I was doing what they were doing and they wanted to quit??? WTF! After that practice I rode to the fencing club for another practice!

Rode home in the dark after club practice. A WHITE cat crossed my path about a mile from home. If a black cat is unlucky, is a white cat lucky?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a good plow truck but the riding snowblower will come in handy around the house and garage clearing pathways.

Today I'm supposed to be going to camp to help a friend pull out his pontoon boat and store for the winter.

My oldest son (15) starts his first job today. Dishwasher in a small family restaurant. I'm feeling old. Seems like yesterday I was changing his diapers. Lol

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a good plow truck but the riding snowblower will come in handy around the house and garage clearing pathways.

Today I'm supposed to be going to camp to help a friend pull out his pontoon boat and store for the winter.

My oldest son (15) starts his first job today. Dishwasher in a small family restaurant. I'm feeling old. Seems like yesterday I was changing his diapers. Lol

I know what you mean in a few more years my kids will be changing my diapers what goes around comes around. Marty

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm going to a human trafficking coalition meeting tomorrow. Both hospitals and other agencies in Council Bluffs, Iowa are involved because they help people who have been rescued from human traffickers. I've been handing out literature for them to truck stops, gas stations, police stations and other places because I'm retired and have the time.

I told my state rep he needs to be there tomorrow, as well as an employee from Senator Joni Ernst's office.

The meetings are very proactive so it is a pleasure to attend.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all the correct harmonic balancer showed up today. I put it on and the v belt pulley then got bogged down modifying the throttle cable bracket to get proper geometry for the new carburetor, further complicating the matter is the 1" spacer under the carburetor. There is going to be some cutting and welding. Tomorrow morning I am going to do a leave at 4am turn around trip to the cabin to dis connect the spring, drain the water tank and lines then drive back. Its going to be a long day. Originally I was going for an over night but notification from PG&E that due to dry conditions in my area at home they might turn the power off for a couple of days. That totally ruined the plan. The wife is going to visit her sister on Sunday so I can't go on the weekend. And the weather report says 27 degree lows up there starting in a couple days so tomorrow is it. Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.